Did Einstein's Work Affect All Areas of Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses how Einstein's work has affected various areas of physics. Despite his disbelief in quantum theory, his ideas have influenced fields such as the photoelectric effect and the theory of relativity. However, it is noted that he did not contribute significantly to areas such as subatomic particles or fluid mechanics. There is also mention of his attempt to unify different principles in physics, but ultimately his impact may not be as significant in certain areas as it is in others.
wtf?

Physics news on Phys.org
thermogenonuclearbiolgyquantum...pizza...pie...theroy

Originally posted by einsteinian77
he did nothing for experimental physics.

* Puts gun against einsteinian77's head *
* click click *

Dodge this... As an undergraduate Einstein studied experimental physics. Throughout his career as a theorist, he devised many thought experiments which were later realized by other physicists. Perhaps the most famous of these experiments was the bending of light due to gravitation.

* BANG *

eNtRopY

origianlly posted by eNtRopY
Mr. Robin Parsons: Get a real reference, you fvckin' fvck. Einstein was the first to reject the concept of ether!

And in 'latin' no less, follow your own advise!

He didn't reject the concept, he accepted the evidence that was held against it.

PS please have your mother wash out your mouth with soap, the "potty smell" is, well, it is your breath not mine!

...and a little searching gives...

References; From this site...

http://itis.volta.alessandria.it/episteme/ep3-24.htm

However, it does not fully reflect the historical truth, and in a sense even represents a distortion [...] Einstein denied the existence of the ether for only 11 years - from 1905 to 1916. Thereafter, he recognized that his attitude was too radical and even regretted that his works published before 1916 had so definitely and absolutely rejected the existence of the ether."

or I suppose this site sort of works, (dubious?)

http://www.hollywood.org/cosmology/einstein.html

and from this site

http://www.lns.cornell.edu/spr/1998-11/msg0013583.html

these words...

Subject: Re: Einstein & "ether" misunderstood.
Date: 29 Nov 1998 00:00:00 GMT
Approved: baez@math.ucr.edu
Newsgroups: sci.physics.research,sci.physics
Organization: MindSpring Enterprises
References: <3658BEEE.2C8B701D@well.com> <mmcirvin-2411982021080001@ppp0a007.std.com> <73jlhi$vbd$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>
Reply-To: mmessall@mindspring.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ca314159@bestweb.net wrote:
> In article <mmcirvin-2411982021080001@ppp0a007.std.com>,
> mmcirvin@world.std.com (Matt McIrvin) wrote:
> > In article <3658BEEE.2C8B701D@well.com>, Jack <sarfatti@well.com> wrote:
> > >A common failure of physics teachers in high school and up,
> > >including many textbooks, is that they say that Einstein
> > >rejected the idea of the "ether". This is not at all true.

> > >What Einstein actually rejected was not "ethers" (there are
> > >more than one) but "absolute ethers". This is made crystal
> > >clear in his 1924 essay "On The Ether". Einstein basically
> > >embraced a more general form of Newton's third law that Paul
> > >Hewitt has expressed as "You cannot touch without being
> > >touched."

Aside from those items, you

Originally posted by eNtRopY

* Suddenly smokes bombs are launched through the windows. Glass shatters everywhere. A blanket of black fog completely darkens the room.

eNtRopY, equipped with infrared goggles, enters the room on a repelling cord. He shouts in seven different languages, All true Einstein fans hit the deck NOW!

Using an AK-47 assult rifle, he sweeps the room at waist height. *

reflects/demonstrates a rather violent mindset towards the opinions of others, not the best for health(y) I would "respectfully" suggest.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got it Plasma physics!

Originally posted by einsteinian77
I got it Plasma physics!

* Removes handgun from front of pants... *

You see einsteinian77, you will never be able to find a branch of physics that hasn't been influenced by the work of Einstein because Einstein's work covers modern physics in a very broad sense. Einstein came around at a time when physics was at a standstill. People had been studying physics for the same way for centuries. Einstein didn't pay much attention in his classes; so, he simply reinvented physics.

Concerning plasmas:

In plasma spectroscopy, people use Einstein coefficients to calculate the lifetimes of excited states. In the study of very high temperature plasmas, people consider the plasma to be a relatvistic gas. When studying the diffusion of impurities in a plasma, one can use Fick's Law with the Einstein relation (as was previously mentioned in a different context. Finally, in plasma fusion we once again see the famous equation E = m*c^2.

* There's a passage I got memorized, seems appropriate for this situation: Ezekiel 25:17. "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you." *

* eNtRopY empties his gun. Goddamn! *

eNtRopY

Originally posted by maximus
what did einstein do in thermodynamics?

Oh yeah, I almost forgot... the Einstein Model gives us a practical means for approximating the phonon spectrum in solids. Not only does this cover thermodynamics, but it also covers solid state physics as well... just in case any you get any ideas.

* Blasts a few more rounds into a cold carcass just to watch it jump! *

eNtRopY

selfAdjoint (rising from the dead): Boo! You really need to blow away that ignorant "Einstein accepts the ether junk again." He didn't. He said curved spacetime replaces the ether.

But of course you, ninja-girl knew that. You know what, you're so damn cute when you're mad.

Well...I surrender...but...what about "material resistance"...you know...the engineering stuff...?
Entropy...the first time I saw your post I thought it would be easy to respond...but now I realize it's quite impossible...
...but...what about the influence Newton had ?...name an area in physics in which Newton had nothing to say...until the 19h century...huh ? (except that stuff with light)

Last edited:
Originally posted by selfAdjoint
selfAdjoint (rising from the dead): Boo! You really need to blow away that ignorant "Einstein accepts the ether junk again." He didn't. He said curved spacetime replaces the ether.

But of course you, ninja-girl knew that. You know what, you're so damn cute when you're mad.

* unsheaths katana *

I hope you're not talking to me.

eNtRopY

Got any references for that one?

i know einstein had nothing to do with unification... he tried at failed badly because he was limited by technoledgy...

Originally posted by Mr. Robin Parsons
Got any references for that one?

Quote by Einstein: "The aether of the general theory of relativity is a medium without mechanical and kinetmatic properties, but which codetermines mechanical and electromagnetic events."

The thing within general relativity which meets this description is the unified spacetime/gravity field.

Note that the ether as usually thought of is inseparable from its "mechanical and kinematical properties".

Quote by Einstein: "The aether of the general theory of relativity is a medium without mechanical and kinetmatic properties, but which codetermines mechanical and electromagnetic events."

It has already been noted by one of the authors that I have cited that Einstein had initially endorsed the Ether as NON existent, then changed his mind, and came back to it.

the fact that you do not date your quote simply shows why you think he didn't believe in it, as history tells us that he later changed his mind, back towards agreement with it existing.

Originally posted by Moi
References; From this site...

http://itis.volta.alessandria.it/episteme/ep3-24.htm

However, it does not fully reflect the historical truth, and in a sense even represents a distortion [...] Einstein denied the existence of the ether for only 11 years - from 1905 to 1916. Thereafter, he recognized that his attitude was too radical and even regretted that his works published before 1916 had so definitely and absolutely rejected the existence of the ether."

Is that helpful?, more clear?

the fact that you do not date your quote simply shows why you think he didn't believe in it, as history tells us that he later changed his mind, back towards agreement with it existing.

This is first of all a silly way to argue. You can't infer a person's state of belief from small accidents of posting.

Secondly the quote is from Einstein's inaugural address at the professorial chair at Leiden, which had been granted him by royal decree of the Netherlands crown. The address took place on October 27, 1920. Source: Pais, "Subtle is the Lord", p313.

The thing within general relativity which meets this description is the unified spacetime/gravity field.('US/GF')OK?

For which there is, at present, no physically evidentiary proof.

Calling it the 'ether', (which he does/did revert to) may have argot specific implication(s) that you are, presently, unaware of, and that are not completely seen as/in 'US/GF'.

Einstein remained a proponent of the nomenclature of "The Ether"
(At least to the best of my knowledge!)

EDIT COLOuR.

eNtRopY has a vagina?

- Warren

For which there is, at present, no physically evidentiary proof.

Red herring. The evidentiary status of U S/F (as it should be abbreviated) has nothing to do with what Einstein meant. He at any rate believed in his theory.

Calling it the 'ether', (which he does/did revert to) may have argot specific implication(s) that you are, presently, unaware of, and that are not completely seen as/in 'US/GF'.

Read the quote again. No mechanical or kinematical properties. The ether which your sources are plugging is replete with mechanical and kinematic properties. And Einstein did not believe in this!

Einstein remained a proponent of the nomenclature of "The Ether"
(At least to the best of my knowledge!)

EDIT COLOuR.

You are not responsible for the inaccuracy in your sources, but the Einstein archives are now available online, and it should be possible to resolve these issues by inspection of them.

Here are http://Alberteinstein.info/db/QueryAnyText.do?criteria=aether&x=33&y=9 . Unfortunately they all appear to be handwritten documents in German. I cannot read German script. Is there anyone her who can? They have suggestive title like "on the aether" and "The space-aether and field problem".

Artman, his spurs clinking an accent to his purposeful stride as he moves to the center of the road. A dust filled breeze blows a tumbleweed past him. He calls to the door of the saloon to Enthropy who stands at the bar inside drinking a whiskey.

Enthropy walks through the saloon doors, his gun still smoking in its holster. "What do you want?"

"What about the study of waves in water?"

"What about it?" Enthropy sneered.

"Did Einstein have an effect on the study of waves in water?"

The two men eyed each other, hands hovering over their guns. Did Enthropy have any bullets left?

eNtRopY has a vagina?

- Warren

Hey I have breasts!

Originally posted by chroot
eNtRopY has a vagina?

- Warren

No, I was just borrowing your mom's / sister's / girlfriend's again.

eNtRopY

Originally posted by Artman
Artman, his spurs clinking an accent to his purposeful stride as he moves to the center of the road. A dust filled breeze blows a tumbleweed past him. He calls to the door of the saloon to Enthropy who stands at the bar inside drinking a whiskey.

Enthropy walks through the saloon doors, his gun still smoking in its holster. "What do you want?"

"What about the study of waves in water?"

"What about it?" Enthropy sneered.

"Did Einstein have an effect on the study of waves in water?"

The two men eyed each other, hands hovering over their guns. Did Enthropy have any bullets left?

Suddenly, the theme-song from the Good, the Bad and the Ugly is playing in the background.

Without warning, Artman fires a single bullet at eNtRopY. Our hero eNtRopY falls to the ground. The entire town is silent... like a ghost town.

Laughing with the kind of sinister laugh that only bad guys have, Artman slowly walks over to eNtRopY's body just to kick it while it's down. As he stands over eNtRopY he raises his gun in the air and fires off five victory shots thereby emptying his six shooter.

Suddenly, eNtRopY kicks Artman right in the testicles! Yes, it's true! eNtRopY is alive!

As Artman is rolling around on the ground in severe, and humiliating, pain, he asks, "But... but... how?"

eNtRopY spits a bullet out of his mouth and replies, "I see you've forgotten about the Einstein-Euler equations." And with those words, he cracks his whisky bottle over Artman's head... sending him into the land where Einstein's dreams were made.

Our hero, eNtRopY, pick ups another bottle of whiskey, jumps on a conveniently placed white stallion, swoops the prettiest girl in town of her feet, and rides off into the sunset.

THE END.

eNtRopY

well surely there must be at least one area of physics he hasn't affected!

Suddenly, the theme-song from the Good, the Bad and the Ugly is playing in the background...

...Laughing with the kind of sinister laugh that only bad guys have,

At least I got to be "the Bad." Of the three that was one of the two I would prefer.

Curses on those Einstein-Euler equations.

Nice piece of writing Enthropy, I thought you would have fun with the western theme.

Originally posted by selfADjoint
You are not responsible for the inaccuracy in your sources, but the Einstein archives are now available online, and it should be possible to resolve these issues by inspection of them.

Most of what you will find there is probably already available online in translated forms.

In my previous efforts in all of this I had found a later reference for Einstien having given a speech and mentioning the Ether as being something that he still agreed with in/as principal.

Soooo... let entropy defend himself, if he can...

Lets see, he slew "the bad" all that's left is "the Good" and "the Ugly", well, (**takes a look in the mirror**) solves that problem!

Hey...take a break...what is this ? Leave Einstein to RIP...
entropy -> you're perfectly right...
the others -> you're perfectly right too...

Most of what you will find there is probably already available online in translated forms.

In my previous efforts in all of this I had found a later reference for Einstien having given a speech and mentioning the Ether as being something that he still agreed with in/as principal.

Soooo... let entropy defend himself, if he can...

Lets see, he slew "the bad" all that's left is "the Good" and "the Ugly", well, (**takes a look in the mirror**) solves that problem!

Defend myself against what?

Since you are so slow, let me explain the object of the game to you. One person brings up an area of physics that he/she believes Einstein was of no influence in. Then, I prove that person's assertion wrong in a semi-comical fashion.

You keep talking about "ether" and the fact that you believe Einstein loved it so much he wanted to marry it. Whether or not ether exists (which it doesn't), Einstein's work obviously influenced any further study in this area. Either way, I win and you lose.

So long loser...

* BANG *

You're dead.

eNtRopY

Originally posted by Artman
At least I got to be "the Bad." Of the three that was one of the two I would prefer.

Curses on those Einstein-Euler equations.

Nice piece of writing Enthropy, I thought you would have fun with the western theme.

Well, I was glad to see that someone finally figured out how the game is played. Or should I say role-played?

eNtRopY

Originally posted by eNtRopY
Then, I prove that person's assertion wrong in a semi-comical fashion. And this has been done, by YOU, where?

You keep talking about "ether" and the fact that you believe Einstein loved it so much he wanted to marry it. (<--- OH LOOK A LIE!) Whether or not ether exists (which it doesn't)(<--- OH LOOK, ANOTHER LIE!), Einstein's work obviously influenced any further study in this area. Either way, I win and you lose. ONLY IN YOUR HEAD!

So long loser...WHY, YA QUITING CAUSE YOU CAN'T WIN??

Doesn't surprise me at all!

Calm down ladies, but i think you will find that Einstein never worked on or influenced the field of Yaxitrake.

Originally posted by Andy
Calm down ladies, but i think you will find that Einstein never worked on or influenced the field of Yaxitrake.

selfAdjoint, dressed as samurai and swinging katana he swiped from Entropy, jumps from behind a saguaro and cries

Ah so you've never read Einstein's yaxitrake lecture at the University of Lower Slobbovia?

Ah so you've never read Einstein's yaxitrake lecture at the University of Lower Slobbovia?

FIEND! YOU LIE! it was UPPER Slobbovia, you JACKAL!

That's Haute-Slobbovie to you, canaille. Talk to the http://www.dolbere.com/