Laplace Transforms: Math's Elegant Solutions

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Laplace transforms and how they are a favorite concept in math. The speaker's professor mentions other transforms, such as the Radon transform and Mellin transform, and provides a list to get started. The conversation also touches on other related transforms such as Fourier transform, Hankel transform, and Z-transform. The conversation concludes by discussing how to solve differential equations using Laplace transform and the usefulness of Fourier transform in solving linear systems.
MostlyHarmless
Recently in my DiffEq class, we learned how to use, and come up with, Laplace transforms. After doing my homework, I realized that Laplace Transforms are my new favorite concept in math(just beating out double/triple integrals and their applications)! The transforms just look so elegant on a white board!

The theorem we were taught said this: ##L##{##F(t)##}##=∫^∞_0e^{-st}F(t)dt##. My professor mentioned that there are more transforms out there, but we only had time for this one. Are the other transforms out there of this same form? Where can I find more information on them?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not a theorem, it's its definition.

As for others, yes, there are plenty and as much as there are applications of it.

Radon transform, Mellin transform, etc...

In Functional Analysis we look on a kernel $$K(x,y)$$ and look on the next operator:

$$Kf(x) := \int f(y)K(x,y)dy$$

Obviously we can do this for a function f that has as many variables we wish, and then we look for possible convergence conditions of the integral, and other features as the theory of these kernels has progressed.

Here's a list to get you started :smile: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_transforms

The "integral transforms" have similar forms to the Laplace transform. The most similar is the Fourier transform.

You might also look at the Z transform, which is analogous to the Laplace transform but for a series instead of a continuous function.

Fourier Transform and Fourier Series, which is a whole family of transforms.
In particular, the Laplace Transform is the same as the Fourier Transform, except for a factor ##i##.
The z-transform is also a (discrete) variant of these same transforms.

Thank you all for your input, and I'm sorry I've not gotten a chance to reply. (Finals >.<)

Can't wait to finish up with finals so I can spare some time to look into those that you all have mentioned!

How to solve D.E by Laplace transform ??

ammarmechanica said:
How to solve D.E by Laplace transform ??

It's not cool to hijack an older thread at PF. Set up your own thread to ask a new question.

You can find out how to solve D.E.s using Laplace transforms by searching the net. You can google 'Laplace transform' to get you started.

The biggest problem with these transforms is that not exist the rule of composition of function (chain rule, in derivative; integration for substituion, in integration). Thus, you need to calculate a mountain of possible cases.

I like Serena said:
Fourier Transform and Fourier Series, which is a whole family of transforms.
In particular, the Laplace Transform is the same as the Fourier Transform, except for a factor ##i##.
The z-transform is also a (discrete) variant of these same transforms.

Fourier Transform is useful for solve linear system too?

Related to Laplace Transforms: Math's Elegant Solutions

1. What is a Laplace transform?

A Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that transforms a function from the time domain to the frequency domain. It is a powerful tool used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze systems.

2. How is a Laplace transform calculated?

The Laplace transform of a function f(t) is given by the integral of f(t) multiplied by e^(-st), where s is a complex variable. This integral is evaluated from 0 to infinity. The resulting expression is called the Laplace transform of f(t).

3. What are the advantages of using Laplace transforms?

Laplace transforms offer several advantages over traditional methods of solving differential equations. They allow for the transformation of differential equations into algebraic equations, making them easier to solve. They also provide a unified approach to solving linear and non-linear equations and can handle systems with multiple inputs and outputs.

4. What are some real-world applications of Laplace transforms?

Laplace transforms are used in many fields, including engineering, physics, chemistry, and economics. They are commonly used to analyze electrical circuits, control systems, and heat transfer problems. They are also used in signal processing and image processing to filter and enhance signals and images.

5. Are there any limitations to using Laplace transforms?

While Laplace transforms offer many advantages, they also have some limitations. They can only be applied to linear systems, and the function being transformed must be defined for all values of t. In addition, the inverse Laplace transform may not exist for some functions, making it difficult to obtain the original function from its Laplace transform.