Laplace Transforms and Phasors in Circuit Analysis

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of phasors and Laplace transforms in circuit analysis. Phasors are used to analyze AC circuits by converting everything to the frequency domain, while Laplace transforms are used in DC circuits to handle transient processes. Laplace transforms and phasors are related and represent the same information, but Laplace transforms are easier to work with. When using Laplace transforms, it is important to consider the initial conditions of the circuit. Overall, using both phasors and Laplace transforms can provide a more comprehensive analysis of circuits.
paul2211
So last semester, I had a Circuit Analysis course where I learned about phasors. Basically, when dealing with AC circuits, I should convert everything to the frequency domain where [itex]X = j\omega L[/itex] and [itex]X = \frac{1}{j\omega C}[/itex]. I feel like I understood this part really well.

However, in Circuits II, my prof was used Laplace transforms when dealing with DC circuits (at least I think?) involving capacitors and inductors and derived the same result for their reactance. I'm really confused at how he did this because aren't inductors just treated as short and capacitors as open circuits?

Also, are Laplace transforms and phasors related? They produced the same impedences, but they feel too different to be the same...

I hope I made my questions clear because I am currently very confused, and thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
paul2211 said:
So last semester, I had a Circuit Analysis course where I learned about phasors. Basically, when dealing with AC circuits, I should convert everything to the frequency domain where [itex]X = j\omega L[/itex] and [itex]X = \frac{1}{j\omega C}[/itex]. I feel like I understood this part really well.

However, in Circuits II, my prof was used Laplace transforms when dealing with DC circuits (at least I think?) involving capacitors and inductors and derived the same result for their reactance. I'm really confused at how he did this because aren't inductors just treated as short and capacitors as open circuits?

Also, are Laplace transforms and phasors related? They produced the same impedences, but they feel too different to be the same...

I hope I made my questions clear because I am currently very confused, and thanks in advance.

I think you studied circuit analysis related to transient processes. Am I right?

If so, no, in DC analysis when you are studying transient processes, capacitor doesn't act like an open, and inductor doesn't act like a short circuit.

It has a transient process that LEADS to that.

In beginning circuit theory, you learn a natural response and a forced response when you work with phasors.

The forced response is what you see at DC and this is when dv/dt or di/dt are 0 and you can consider the circuit in DC, and the natural response is when you have transients. You learn these ideas in the time domain.

The laplace transform changes your time information in complex number phasors into frequency information using the e^(-jwt+sigma) kernel

This is tied to the laplace transform, which is in the frequency domain and is in terms of a transfer function. When you let s = 0, this means you are setting the frequency to 0, and this corresponds to the forced, DC, steady-state response, or at t = infinity. Same goes when you set s = infinity as in infinite frequency, you approach t = 0 and are looking at the transients.

So to answer your question, laplace transforms and phasors are representing the same information. However, laplace transforms reveal information more easily and are easier to work with, since convolution becomes multiplication in the frequency domain. Also, in the laplace domain, s = jw, and so the impedance of a capacitor is 1/sC which is like you wrote. The best way to see the relation is when you look at euler's identity and see that a time domain sine wave is composed of complex exponentials much like you see in the laplace kernel.

As to your other question, when your professor is looking at these circuits, you must consider their initial conditions. A DC current source in the laplace domain sort of has a transient built into it, and that is that the voltage is a step from 0 to its DC value at time t = 0 in the time domain. If a capacitor's initial condition is such that it was already charged to the DC voltage of the voltage source before time t = 0, then the capacitor will look like an open. If the initial condition is that the capacitor was at 0V when the DC supply is applied, then there is a transient component that must charge the capacitor before it could ever reach the DC voltage, and this is where the impedance plays its factor and how he can derive it in the laplace domain.

Last edited:
I just wanted to also add that although they are related, I don't know how to prove the exact relationship mathematically and if I had the time I would try to help you show that.

Yes, when you reduce s=jw you actually get Fourier transform and those phasors you are working with.

DragonPetter, very nice post.

i echo sentiment above , very nice posts ...
here's what helped me:
in beginning circuit analysis courses, we use phasors and assume sinewaves.

To the point that in the beginning of our studies we forget that in nature, a sinewave is a special case. (electric company goes to a lot of trouble to make theirs fairly pure.)
but in EE we do not limit our studies to sinewaves.

I think of the phasor as representing steady state operation for sinewave input after all transients have died out.
you can think of s = jw as true for the long haul when input is a sinewave..
but that won't solve for the initial turn-on transient.

The Laplace notation gives you the initial transient response and it handles non-sinewave inputs.
so Laplace is a way more powerful tool.
like any sophisticated tool it takes practice to become adept with it.

learn to use Laplace notation even if you can't quite tie anything physical to that integral that goes out to infinity.

Thanks for the response you guys. They really helped me out!

Related to Laplace Transforms and Phasors in Circuit Analysis

1. What is a Laplace transform and how is it used in circuit analysis?

A Laplace transform is a mathematical tool used to convert a function from the time domain to the frequency domain. In circuit analysis, it is used to simplify differential equations and solve for the frequency response of a circuit.

2. What is the difference between a Laplace transform and a Fourier transform?

A Laplace transform takes into account the initial conditions and the transient response of a system, while a Fourier transform only looks at the steady-state response. In circuit analysis, a Laplace transform is used for analyzing transient and steady-state behavior, while a Fourier transform is only used for steady-state analysis.

3. What is a phasor and how is it related to Laplace transforms?

A phasor is a complex number representation of a sinusoidal signal. In circuit analysis, it is used to simplify calculations involving sinusoidal signals. It is related to Laplace transforms because the Laplace transform of a sinusoidal function results in a phasor in the frequency domain.

4. How do you use Laplace transforms to solve circuit problems?

To use Laplace transforms to solve circuit problems, you first need to convert the circuit components into their equivalent impedances in the frequency domain. Then, you can use Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law to create a system of equations in the Laplace domain. Finally, you can use algebraic manipulation and inverse Laplace transforms to solve for the desired variables.

5. Can Laplace transforms be used for all types of circuits?

Yes, Laplace transforms can be used for all types of circuits, including linear and nonlinear circuits. However, in nonlinear circuits, the equivalent impedances may change with frequency, making the analysis more complex.