Laplace Transform with two steps

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Laplace transform of a given function, specifically with two step functions involved. The Laplace transform of a step function is \(\frac{1}{s}\) for \(t > a\) where \(a\) is the shift, and the end goal is to find \(y(t)\). The formula for finding the Laplace transform of a shifted function is also mentioned. The final result for \(Y(s)\) is given as \(\frac{s}{(s + 1)(1 + e^{-s})}\).
Dustinsfl
Given the transfer function
\[
H(s) = \frac{Y(s)}{U(s)} = \frac{1}{s + 1}
\]
and
\[
u(t) = 1(t) + 1(t - 1).
\]
How do I find U(s)? I know I take the Laplace transform of u(t) but with the two step functions how can this be done?

The Laplace transform of the step function is \(\frac{1}{s}\) for \(t > a\) where \(a\) is the shift. If I take the Laplace of \(u(t)\), do just get
\[
\frac{2}{s}\mbox{?}
\]
That seems strange though since \(\frac{1}{s}\) is for \(t > 0\) and the other \(\frac{1}{s}\) is for \(t > 1\).

The end goal is to find \(y(t)\).

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
Given the transfer function
\[
H(s) = \frac{Y(s)}{U(s)} = \frac{1}{s + 1}
\]
and
\[
u(t) = 1(t) + 1(t - 1).
\]
How do I find U(s)? I know I take the Laplace transform of u(t) but with the two step functions how can this be done?

The Laplace transform of the step function is \(\frac{1}{s}\) for \(t > a\) where \(a\) is the shift. If I take the Laplace of \(u(t)\), do just get
\[
\frac{2}{s}\mbox{?}
\]
That seems strange though since \(\frac{1}{s}\) is for \(t > 0\) and the other \(\frac{1}{s}\) is for \(t > 1\).

The end goal is to find \(y(t)\).

If $\displaystyle g(t) = f(t - a)\ \mathcal{U}\ (t-a)$ and $\displaystyle \mathcal{L}\ \{f(t)\} = F(s)$ then $\displaystyle \mathcal {L}\ \{ g(t)\} = e^{- a\ s}\ F(s)$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
If $\displaystyle g(t) = f(t - a)\ \mathcal{U}\ (t-a)$ and $\displaystyle \mathcal{L}\ \{f(t)\} = F(s)$ then $\displaystyle \mathcal {L}\ \{ g(t)\} = e^{- a\ s}\ F(s)$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

So \(U(s) = \frac{1}{s} + e^{-s}\frac{1}{s}\)?

I don't think U(s) is correct. I then would have
\[
Y(s) = \frac{s}{(s + 1)(1 + e^{-s})}.
\]

Last edited:

Related to Laplace Transform with two steps

1. What is the Laplace Transform with two steps?

The Laplace Transform with two steps is a mathematical technique used to convert a function in the time domain into a function in the frequency domain. It involves applying the Laplace Transform twice to a given function.

2. Why is the Laplace Transform with two steps useful?

The Laplace Transform with two steps is useful because it allows for the analysis and solving of differential equations in the frequency domain, which can be simpler and more efficient than using traditional methods in the time domain.

3. How is the Laplace Transform with two steps applied?

To apply the Laplace Transform with two steps, the function in the time domain is first transformed into the frequency domain using the Laplace Transform. Then, this transformed function is again transformed using the Laplace Transform to obtain the final function in the frequency domain.

4. What are the advantages of using the Laplace Transform with two steps?

The Laplace Transform with two steps has several advantages, including simplifying the analysis and solution of differential equations, allowing for the use of algebraic operations instead of calculus, and providing insight into the frequency content of a given function.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Laplace Transform with two steps?

One limitation of using the Laplace Transform with two steps is that it may not be able to handle certain types of functions, such as those with discontinuities or singularities. Additionally, the inverse Laplace Transform of a function with two steps may be more difficult to calculate compared to a single-step Laplace Transform.