What is the effect of distance on magnetic forces between electromagnetic coils?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Newton's third law and its limitations in the case of two electromagnetic coils separated by a vast distance. The speaker seeks clarification and suggestions for understanding the situation better. They also mention a similar problem they have examined on their webpage. The other person suggests using Lorentz transformations for a better understanding.
bstruss
I have attached a drawing that depicts the situation of two electromagetic coils in space separated by a vast distance. It seems to me that in this case there would be a magnetic action force on the right coil but no reaction on the left coil. I'm probably missing something here but I would appreciate any pointers on what that might be. If the description or graphic is unclear, please let me know.

Thanks!

Illustration

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Newton's third law (in fact, the force concept as such) only holds if the propagation speed of the interaction is infinite. I have examined a similar problem (a retarded interaction when the objects are moving relatively to each other) on my webpage http://www.physicsmyths.org.uk/retard.htm.

Thomas, may be you need to use Lorents transformations (instead of Galilean) between systems?

What is the third law of reaction?

The third law of reaction, also known as Newton's third law of motion, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal force in the opposite direction.

How does the third law of reaction apply to everyday life?

The third law of reaction can be observed in many aspects of everyday life. For example, when you jump off the ground, your feet exert a force on the ground, and the ground exerts an equal and opposite force on you, allowing you to propel upwards. Similarly, when you push a door, the door pushes back with an equal force, allowing you to open it.

Can the third law of reaction be violated?

No, the third law of reaction is a fundamental law of physics and has been proven to hold true in all situations. It is a fundamental principle of how forces work in the universe and cannot be violated.

What is an example of action and reaction forces?

An example of action and reaction forces is a person rowing a boat. The person exerts a force on the oars, pushing them through the water. The water, in turn, exerts an equal and opposite force on the oars, propelling the boat forward.

How does the third law of reaction affect the motion of objects?

The third law of reaction is essential in determining the motion of objects. When two objects interact, the forces they exert on each other are equal and opposite, resulting in a net force of zero. This means that the objects will either stay at rest or continue moving at a constant velocity. The third law of reaction also explains why objects bounce off each other or recoil in opposite directions when they collide.