What Are the Best Games for Any Platform?

• Thread starter The Grimmus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Games
In summary, the participants of the conversation discussed their favorite games and gaming experiences. They mentioned various games, including C&C Generals, System Shock 2, Deus Ex, Warcraft, Starcraft, and many others. They also talked about their favorite gaming companies, such as Blizzard and Westwood, and expressed their excitement to play with or against each other. Some mentioned playing games competitively, while others enjoyed playing for fun. They also shared their gaming usernames and discussed their preferences for different genres of games.
The Grimmus
It can be for whatever platform, ok so do it go on...

Physics news on Phys.org
What are c&c generals?

I love the Close Combat Series, but since going back to uni haven't had time to play any games.

I'm currently really into C&C Generals.

Wanna do a 1v1? But we'll have to wait until patch 1.5 comes out, cause patch 1.4 will record your wins as a disconnects.

System Shock 2
Half-Life
Deus Ex
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Unreal 2
MOHAA
Splinter Cell
Aliens v Predator
Freespace 2
Falcon 4.0
NOLF
Tombraider TLR
Commandos 2
Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast
Omikron The Nomad Soul
Outcast
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
Alice

Counter-strike, or Team Fortress Classic for a while now. Damnit must stop playing and work harder

any one here play any of the blizzards? starcraft Diablo II exspansion
War3?
Real time strat's are great...but u need to have first person shooters to let out your rage...damn kids always on my lawn

Ghost Recon is the best game I ever played. It is the closest to reality(I think).

Originally posted by GSXR750
Ghost Recon is the best game I ever played. It is the closest to reality(I think).

My best games ever

UN Squadron snes
Michael Vaughans championship cricket manager on the pc

I like Age of the Empires part one, Age of Kings, and Age of Conquerors. I also really enjoyed Conquest, but haven't played it in a while.

I forgot to mention RPGs

FF1 nes
FF2 snes
FF3 snes
FF7
FF8
FF9
FF10
Secrets of mana SNES
Secrets of evermore SNES
Chrono trigger SNES

anything form square or square soft especially on snes are wonderful games

Last edited:
The Best game ever made has too be Super Mario World on the snes, without doubt the best game ever!

anyone here play sc or war3 maybe we could play eahc other if your nto too good

Since my finances have been limited lately, I haven't been able to buy a newly released game in about a year but my fav on the PC is Shogun:Total War. On the Playstation, it'd have to be the LOK series.
AWESOME storyline! And the voice-acting? Superb.

Angband

THE most addictive game ever.

Originally posted by enigma
Angband

THE most addictive game ever.

Oh yeah! I think I played the original version of that, but that was eons ago.

Blizzard Entertainment

They set the standards of real-time strategy. Every other real-time strategy is the poor imitation of their original action.

StarCraft
WarCraft II
WarCraft II: Tides Of Darkness
WarCraft II: Battle.net Edition
WarCraft III

Brilliant storyline, innovative graphics, dynamic gameplay, real-time response, active unit AI ...

Hail Blizzard!

Also played ...

Global Operations
Fishtank Interactive S.W.I.N.E.
Hasbro Interactive Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 and 2
Chris Sawyer's Transport Tycoon (old yet nice)
Ubisoft Battle Realms (excellent!)
Project Earth (not famous but very interesting)
Project Eden (played the Demo version)
Delta Force Land Warrior and Task Force Dagger (good games but dirty idea, a pack of lies)
MechWarrior 2 (I always played Invincible ...)
MechWarrior 3: Pirate's Moon
Red Faction (the best role-playing action ever made, GeoMod 3D engine)
Capitalism II (not bad)
Slipstream 5000 (it is the only 3D spaceship race I've seen, runs on MS-DOS, low graphics but exciting)
Zeus: Master Of Olympus and Zeus Expansion: Poseidon
UnReal (not the tournament, the good ol' UnReal)
Total Annihilation: Kingdoms (nice idea)
Sherlock Holmes: The Lost Files (runs on MS-DOS, brilliant for its own time)
Stupid Invaders (hard humor, alas, never got to finish it)
Radix: Into The Void (old but well-designed)
Descent 1 and 2 (remember the Descent fever)

And the best game ever made ...

The Neverhood Chronicles - Microsoft and DreamWorks Interactive

And the other best games ever made ...

Little Big Adventure 2: Twinsen's Odyssey - Electronic Arts
Day Of The Tentacle - Lucas Arts

I have play many games and it is hard to name the best but here I go

Wolfenstein 3D
Return to castle wolfenstein (mostly the multiplayer)
Doom serie (played those at at my high school so many time)
Duke Nuken 3D
Quake series (played those too at my high school so many time even if was not legal)
Half-life (including counter strike)
Dark force 2: jedi knigth and Jedi knigth 2: jedi outcast (being a jedi and Darth Vader choking moves rules)
Rainbow 6
Thief 1 and 2
Unreal adn Unreal tournament
Tribes
X-wing, tie figther, x-wing alliance, rogue squadron 1 and 2
No one lives forever 1 & 2
Alien vs. predator (playing alone at nigth in total darkness as the marine is great)
Metal gear solid
Grand thef auto 1 & 2 (didn't try the third yet)
Tony hawk pro skater 1, 2 & 3
Resident Evil 1, 2, 3 & zero
system shock 2 (alone at nigth in total darkness makes this game better)
Eternal Darkness

Worth mentionning
Dark force 1
Delta force 1 & 2
Tom Clancy's game series
Diablo 2 with the expension

Can't think of any to add

well i am not too good at war3 but it dosent matter

here are my accounts
sc: FAT_GRIMMUS
WAR3: Count_Popeula

They set the standards of real-time strategy. Every other real-time strategy is the poor imitation of their original action.

HEll NO! Westwood Set the standards of RTS games! Remember Dune 2, Command & Conquer: Tiberium Dawn, Red Alert, Sole Survivor?!?

Or the newer games, Red Alert 2, Yuri's Revenge, Command & Conquer: Tiberium Sun, Command & Conquer: Generals, Renegade.

Too bad C&C is now losing it's original flavour after being taken over by EA...

I have both, let's get a game going.

I have only Warcraft 3 in that option.
Warcraft 3 account: Bubonic_plague

pf tortement

i play counter-strike mostly, and just for fun. but i also play return to castle wolfensten multiplayer competitively and a bit on the publiic servers as well. if you all play either, some of my friends and i run a few servers that you can find from here:

http://www.crackedpipe.com

other than that i am working on beating tony hawk 4 on my xbox and i am planing on picking up devastation sometime soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
HEll NO! Westwood Set the standards of RTS games! Remember Dune 2, Command & Conquer: Tiberium Dawn, Red Alert, Sole Survivor?!?

Hell YES! Blizzard released WarCraft I before all of them. Others' have never even came close to Blizzard in earth-shaking storylines. The dominance of story woven into the warps and wefts of the game can be felt. Did Red Alert ever motivate its players to write Red Alert Fiction? No, but SC Fiction is a genre for itself. Many have used their talents to extend and strengthen the story.

And Westwood has always been backed up by stupid American-Messiah ideas. Red Alert 2 unfairly showed the US as the angel come to rescue. The older versions of C&C had less biased ideas behind them but also had no special point of interest.

The latest one, C&C Generals is total idiocy in its full sense. It shows the Red Army cooperating with the US to defeat the terrorists, hah, what a PACK OF LIES! And who are the terrorists? Units depicted with common Arabic clothes, are all Arabs terrorists? No, but Westwood Studios wants you to believe everyone with a green girdle is terrorist! And where do these terrorist Arabs live? In Iraq, Iran and Afghanistan! Westwood didn't even bother to find out that Iranian don't wear Arabic clothes and that they don't speak Arabic!

THEY DIDN'T EVEN TRY TO DISTORT THE FACTS WITH SUBTLETY, THEY JUST SPAT OUT A PACK OF LIES FOR IDIOTS LIKE THEMSELVES TO BELIEVE!

Is that their only problem? Let them wipe Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan and North Korea out of the map, will then peace be reigning? NO! Then they will find someone else to fight because their life hangs to their fights, they can't live without their billions coming out of oil and weapons.

Hell YES! Blizzard released WarCraft I before all of them. Others' have never even came close to Blizzard in earth-shaking storylines. The dominance of story woven into the warps and wefts of the game can be felt. Did Red Alert ever motivate its players to write Red Alert Fiction? No, but SC Fiction is a genre for itself. Many have used their talents to extend and strengthen the story.

Warcraft 1 came out after Dune 2, if i remember correctly. The Command & Conquer series does have a nice story, the enigmatic Kane, his linkage with the Soviet commander in Red Alert 1. How he started his Brotherhood of Nod empire, the mystery of Tiberium. How the world's events were changed because Einstein traveled into the past and removed Hitler.

Starcraft is also very unrealistic, 'cause it's set sooooo far into the future, Yamato Guns, Maelstrom, Psionic Storms, etc.

Command & Conquer is much more believable.

The latest one, C&C Generals is total idiocy in its full sense. It shows the Red Army cooperating with the US to defeat the terrorists, hah, what a PACK OF LIES! And who are the terrorists? Units depicted with common Arabic clothes, are all Arabs terrorists? No, but Westwood Studios wants you to believe everyone with a green girdle is terrorist! And where do these terrorist Arabs live? In Iraq, Iran and Afghanistan! Westwood didn't even bother to find out that Iranian don't wear Arabic clothes and that they don't speak Arabic!

C&C Generals isn't part of the C&C series, in the sense that the events that happen in Generals have nothing to do with the C&C series, it just bears the tag of C&C. And also Westwood Studios is gone. It was bought over by Electronic Arts. So Generals and some of the newer C&C games are technically not made by Westwood.

Is that their only problem? Let them wipe Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan and North Korea out of the map, will then peace be reigning? NO! Then they will find someone else to fight because their life hangs to their fights, they can't live without their billions coming out of oil and weapons.

Errr...is that politics? Is it related to this gaming arguement?

THEY DIDN'T EVEN TRY TO DISTORT THE FACTS WITH SUBTLETY, THEY JUST SPAT OUT A PACK OF LIES FOR IDIOTS LIKE THEMSELVES TO BELIEVE!

Even The Starcraft and Warcraft story lines are lies, simple stories and fiction created to back up the game.

oh course their made up but that supports abilities which helps creat a more complex stratigy game

To Bubonic Plague:

First, I apologize for losing control and saying what I'd better keep for myself till I felt better. Second, thank you for keeping calm.

Then, you're right. Wiping the "baddies" out of map has nothing to do with gaming. No one had forced me into playing C&C Generals but I really couldn't bear so many lies in one game session. I just can't believe that someone somewhere on this planet will believe those lies and pay for them (I didn't pay for it). Let's forget it now...

Regarding StarCraft, well, its story clearly happens out of today's context but the verisimilitude can't also be denied. The story has been made to shake minds; it enjoys the knowledgeability and creativity of its author. Zerg and Protoss have similarities in their mythology ... they both believe in an ancient entity, Ner 'Zhul, who has created them. Zerg were given purity in essence while Protoss were given purity in form. Similar mythology in opposing fronts to see if form wins or essence. As we saw both failed...

I've never seen such subtlety in the storyline of any other game. More important, the StarCraft storyline is strongly affected by ancient human Myth and this shows its authors' extensive knowledge.

StarCraft's graphics is also worth admiration. Cut-scenes were unique in their time. The game controls are worth noting, too; game screen consists of unit-dependent control panel plus 3/4 perspective view place game graphics. This style was later adopted by almost every other real-time strategy game. The control panel style was introduced far before StarCraft but its contents and unit-dependence was new to gaming scene.

Another plus for Blizzard Entertainment is their WarCraft III. It introduces awesome in-game 3D graphics at much lower hardware costs than many other 3D real-time strategy games. I had problems running Age of Mythology on my PC but WarCraft III ran smoothly in 800x600 high detail. It also supports Creative EAX sound system on 5.1 speakers which is really unusual in its genre but shows Blizzard's passion for details. Its story is also fascinating; I was striving for the next event while playing. Cut-scenes are simply superior to all their competitors; they're in strong accordance with the story and, in spite of their counterparts in other games, of high aesthetic value.

PS: I should be a suspect of working for Blizzard by now :wink:

games pwn

the half-life mod natural selection is the best game going as i see it, combination of RTS and 3D shooter. ever thought in those rts games "the ai in these units is ssooo stupid, if i had people pointing those gun they would be able to find a way to where i told them to go" well in NS you have just that and people are even more stupid a good deal of the time

i too have warcraft3 and starcraft, haven’t played in a while but used to be quite the addict. account name devil-fire on east, we should get some 3on3 action sometime

in westwood vs blizzard, blizzard wins my vote by a long shot. westwood has put out so many unpolished games it really makes me think that they just want to make money instead of make good games and make money while doing it. i mean look at soul survivor...what a pos! although the fist cnc game was great

games iv played? oh my...let me put it like this, iv got 35 inches of CD cases, iv got so many hours staring at a monitor without blinking i could look at the sun for days and have no further side effects (while on a plane going around the world as to avoid night time)

First, I apologize for losing control and saying what I'd better keep for myself till I felt better. Second, thank you for keeping calm.

No problem.

Then, you're right. Wiping the "baddies" out of map has nothing to do with gaming. No one had forced me into playing C&C Generals but I really couldn't bear so many lies in one game session. I just can't believe that someone somewhere on this planet will believe those lies and pay for them (I didn't pay for it). Let's forget it now...

When people like C&C Generals, we are not really believing the premises, the premises are just a way to develop the game. Anyone can just pick up a copy of their local newspaper and know that the C&C Generals premise isn't real.

Its story is also fascinating; I was striving for the next event while playing. Cut-scenes are simply superior to all their competitors; they're in strong accordance with the story and, in spite of their counterparts in other games, of high aesthetic value.

I felt that the Warcraft 3 storyline was rather boring, i played until the Undead campaign, then i totally stopped W3. The cutscenes were not voiced as realistically as Starcraft, C&C: Tiberium Dawn and Red Alert. The gameplay for w3 was rather boring, either u rush the enemy base at the start and build guard towers into his base, or u build traditionally and kill creeps, before going to the enemy. That's why on the net, i always play Custom Games, not the ladder games.

Regarding StarCraft, well, its story clearly happens out of today's context but the verisimilitude can't also be denied. The story has been made to shake minds; it enjoys the knowledgeability and creativity of its author. Zerg and Protoss have similarities in their mythology ... they both believe in an ancient entity, Ner 'Zhul, who has created them. Zerg were given purity in essence while Protoss were given purity in form. Similar mythology in opposing fronts to see if form wins or essence. As we saw both failed...

Yes, it appears to be true. Ner 'Zhul is a Warcraft character, Xel 'Naga is the one they believe in. Let's just settle on this, Warcraft, C&C, Starcraft all complement each other. Warcraft deals with the past and our many myths and legends. C&C deals mostly with the present, and of our technological possibilites. Starcraft deals with the future, and with our speculations of what may be out there.

westwood has put out so many unpolished games it really makes me think that they just want to make money instead of make good games and make money while doing it.

Yes, the C&C series has indeed detiorated. Tiberium Dawn and Red Alert 1 really kicked ass. I can still play those games without feeling bored.(in fact, i just started the Nod Missions all over again yesterday.) Somehow, those games just retain their original attraction. Then came the first disaster, Tiberium Sun. Jeez, it was like a plummet from a cliff. After watching the sneak peek from Tiberium Dawn, i was like "WOW", and after so many hopeful years of waiting, i finally get a really crappy game. The strategies possible are actually incredible, due to the burrowing units, etc. But the missions and graphics really stunk. Tiberium Sun should have it's units and the graphics and sounds of C&C Generals combined. Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge was a little better, just that the graphics were too child-like and the storyline was a little boring. The intro movie for Red Alert 2 was really good though. Now came Generals! A success! Though a lack of storyline.

Hey, have you noticed how this talk is going on? I say, "WarCraft is awesome", you say, "No! WarCraft isn't! Red Alert is", then I say "No! WarCraft is awesome".

I don't think I'll be able to reason for what I intrinsically like, I don't think anyone would be able to do so. Perhaps I like WarCraft and StarCraft because I like dreaming but why am I so fond of dreaming? I don't know.

This won't do! WarCraft is good, Red Alert is good, all is good. Peace be upon Blizzard and Westwood to the same degree of likelihood!

And thanks for correcting me about Ner 'Zhul. I would've gone the wrong way all the time if I mistook Xel 'Naga and Ner 'Zhul :smile:

Hey, have you noticed how this talk is going on? I say, "WarCraft is awesome", you say, "No! WarCraft isn't! Red Alert is", then I say "No! WarCraft is awesome".

Yeah. That's why i went fer the middle ground. Which is:
Let's just settle on this, Warcraft, C&C, Starcraft all complement each other. Warcraft deals with the past and our many myths and legends. C&C deals mostly with the present, and of our technological possibilites. Starcraft deals with the future, and with our speculations of what may be out there.

Blizzard vs Westwood, StarCraft vs Red Alert, settled down, case dismissed!

Have you played The Neverhood Chronilces? If yes, what do you think of it?

As you can see on my first post I think it is the best game ever made.

Have you played The Neverhood Chronilces? If yes, what do you think of it?

Isn't it the 1 with a clayman walking around and you have to solve puzzles? If yes, then my answer will also be yes.

I agree, it was an Excellent game. The puzzles were damn hard though. But ultimately, i either won by luck or attrition. I never finished that game, my hard drive spoilt, and my friend had taken back his CD... I also could not find it anywhere in the game shops... Dang!

You remember there was a part where there are i think about 50+ walls filled with words, i had to like spend the whole afternoon just reading the Chronicles written on the walls, then move on to the next screen and continue reading the Chronicles.

The puzzles that i liked the most was the second one, where you have to use the monster plant to help you open the door, so you can exit the building, and the crab one, when you tried to move, the crab will like click it's claws making the matchstick drop.

Last edited: