Laplace equation polar coordinates

In summary, we have learned how to solve Laplace's equation in polar coordinates and how to apply a piecewise boundary condition. We used the method of separation of variables and obtained the solution in the form of a series. We also learned how to plot the solution for specific values of the parameters.
Dustinsfl
I have never solved an equation in polar form. I am not sure with how to start.

Solve Laplace's equation on a circular disk of radius a subject to the piecewise boundary condition
$$
u(a,\theta) = \begin{cases}
1, & \frac{\pi}{2} - \epsilon < \theta < \frac{\pi}{2} + \epsilon\\
0, & \text{otherwise}
\end{cases}
$$
where $\epsilon \ll 1$. Physically, this would reflect the electric potential distribution on a conducting disk whose edge is almost completely grounded except a small portion of angular extent $\Delta\theta = 2\epsilon$ around the location $\theta = \frac{\pi}{2}$. Obtain the solution to this problem and plot the solution for the case of $a = 1$ and $\epsilon = 0.05$.

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
I have never solved an equation in polar form. I am not sure with how to start.

Solve Laplace's equation on a circular disk of radius a subject to the piecewise boundary condition
$$
u(a,\theta) = \begin{cases}
0, & \text{otherwise}
\end{cases}
$$
where $\epsilon \ll 1$. Physically, this would reflect the electric potential distribution on a conducting disk whose edge is almost completely grounded except a small portion of angular extent $\Delta\theta = 2\epsilon$ around the location $\theta = \frac{\pi}{2}$. Obtain the solution to this problem and plot the solution for the case of $a = 1$ and $\epsilon = 0.05$.

The method of solving a Laplace's equation in polar coordinates can be found >>here<< (Refer Example 3).

Sudharaka said:
The method of solving a Laplace's equation in polar coordinates can be found >>here<< (Refer Example 3).

I figured out how to solve in polar. However, this problem is still posing a lot of difficulty.

By separation of variables, we have
$$
\begin{cases}
\Theta(\theta) = A\cos\lambda\theta + B\sin\lambda\theta\\
R(r) = r^{\pm\lambda}
\end{cases}
$$
So how do I use the conditions now?

So I have that
$$
u(r,\theta) = \alpha_0 + \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}r^{n}(A_n\cos n\theta + B_n\sin n\theta).
$$
Using the final condition, we have
$$
u(a,\theta) = \alpha_0 + \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}a^{n}(A_n\cos n\theta + B_n\sin n\theta) = \begin{cases}
0, & \text{otherwise}
\end{cases}
$$
Correct?
$$
A_na^n\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}\cos^2 n\theta d\theta = \left[\int_{-\pi}^{\frac{\pi}{2}-\epsilon}0\cos n\theta d\theta + \int_{\frac{\pi}{2}-\epsilon}^{\frac{\pi}{2}+\epsilon}\cos n\theta d\theta + \int_{\frac{\pi}{2}+\epsilon}^{\pi}0\cos n\theta d\theta\right]
$$

Last edited:
dwsmith said:
So I have that
$$
u(r,\theta) = \alpha_0 + \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}r^{n}(A_n\cos n\theta + B_n\sin n\theta).
$$
Using the final condition, we have
$$
u(a,\theta) = \alpha_0 + \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}a^{n}(A_n\cos n\theta + B_n\sin n\theta) = \begin{cases}
0, & \text{otherwise}
\end{cases}
$$
Correct?
$$
A_na^n\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}\cos^2 n\theta d\theta = \left[\int_{-\pi}^{\frac{\pi}{2}-\epsilon}0\cos n\theta d\theta + \int_{\frac{\pi}{2}-\epsilon}^{\frac{\pi}{2}+\epsilon}\cos n\theta d\theta + \int_{\frac{\pi}{2}+\epsilon}^{\pi}0\cos n\theta d\theta\right]
$$

\begin{alignat*}{3}
A_n & = & \frac{1}{\pi a^n}\left[\int_{-\pi}^{\frac{\pi}{2} - \epsilon}0\cos n\theta d\theta + \int_{\frac{\pi}{2} - \epsilon}^{\frac{\pi}{2} + \epsilon}\cos n\theta d\theta + \int_{\frac{\pi}{2} + \epsilon}^{\pi}0\cos n\theta d\theta\right]\\
& = & \frac{1}{\pi a^n}\int_{\frac{\pi}{2} - \epsilon}^{\frac{\pi}{2} + \epsilon}\cos n\theta d\theta\\
& = & \left.\frac{1}{n\pi a^n}\sin n\theta\right|_{\frac{\pi}{2} - \epsilon}^{\frac{\pi}{2} + \epsilon}\\
& = & \frac{1}{n\pi a^n}\left[\sin n\left(\frac{\pi}{2} + \epsilon\right) - \sin n\left(\frac{\pi}{2} - \epsilon\right)\right]
\end{alignat*}

Can I get $A_n$ in a more usable form?
Here is what I got for $B_n$ and $A_0$.

\begin{alignat*}{3}
B_n & = & \frac{1}{\pi a^n}\left[\int_{-\pi}^{\frac{\pi}{2} - \epsilon}0\sin n\theta d\theta + \int_{\frac{\pi}{2} - \epsilon}^{\frac{\pi}{2} + \epsilon}\sin n\theta d\theta + \int_{\frac{\pi}{2} + \epsilon}^{\pi}0\sin n\theta d\theta\right]\\
& = & \frac{1}{\pi a^n}\int_{\frac{\pi}{2} - \epsilon}^{\frac{\pi}{2} + \epsilon}\sin n\theta d\theta\\
& = & -\left.\frac{1}{n\pi a^n}\cos n\theta\right|_{\frac{\pi}{2} - \epsilon}^{\frac{\pi}{2} + \epsilon}\\
& = & -\frac{1}{n\pi a^n}\left[\cos n\left(\frac{\pi}{2} + \epsilon\right) - \cos n\left(\frac{\pi}{2} - \epsilon\right)\right]
\end{alignat*}
\begin{alignat*}{3}
A_0 & = & \frac{1}{\pi}\left[\int_{-\pi}^{\frac{\pi}{2} - \epsilon}0 + \int_{\frac{\pi}{2} - \epsilon}^{\frac{\pi}{2} + \epsilon}d\theta + \int_{\frac{\pi}{2} + \epsilon}^{\pi}0d\theta\right]\\
& = & \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{\frac{\pi}{2} - \epsilon}^{\frac{\pi}{2} + \epsilon}d\theta\\
& = & \left.\frac{\theta}{\pi}\right|_{\frac{\pi}{2} - \epsilon}^{\frac{\pi}{2} + \epsilon}\\
& = & \frac{1}{\pi}\left[\frac{\pi}{2} + \epsilon - \frac{\pi}{2} + \epsilon\right]\\
& = & \frac{2\epsilon}{\pi}
\end{alignat*}

Last edited:

Related to Laplace equation polar coordinates

1. What is the Laplace equation in polar coordinates?

The Laplace equation in polar coordinates is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of a scalar field in two dimensions. It is written as ∇²f = 0, where ∇² represents the Laplace operator and f is the scalar field.

2. What are the advantages of using polar coordinates to solve Laplace's equation?

Polar coordinates can simplify the solution to Laplace's equation for problems with certain symmetries, such as circular or radial symmetry. They also allow for easier visualization and interpretation of the solution.

3. How is Laplace's equation solved in polar coordinates?

Laplace's equation in polar coordinates can be solved using separation of variables, where the solution is expressed as a product of two functions, one depending only on the radial coordinate and the other depending only on the angular coordinate.

4. Can Laplace's equation in polar coordinates be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, Laplace's equation in polar coordinates has many applications in physics and engineering, such as in the study of electrostatics, heat transfer, and fluid dynamics. It is also used in image processing and computer vision.

5. What are the boundary conditions for solving Laplace's equation in polar coordinates?

The boundary conditions for Laplace's equation in polar coordinates depend on the specific problem being solved. Common boundary conditions include specifying the value of the scalar field on the boundary, or specifying the normal derivative of the scalar field on the boundary.