Astronomy Trivia Challenge: Can You Answer These Questions About the Night Sky?

In summary, this conversation is about an astronomy Q&A game where players take turns asking and answering questions. The rules are that a question must be answered correctly within 3 days or a new question is posted. If the person who posted the question does not respond within 2-3 days, the first person to answer correctly can then post their own question. The first question asked is about the brightest star in the Northern Sky, with the correct answer being Sirius. The game then continues with questions about other astronomical topics such as supermassive black holes, energy generation in stars, and the length of Pluto's orbit. The conversation also includes some discussion about the rules and format of the game, as well as some jokes and personal anecdotes from the
a binary pair of supermassive black holes
orbiting around each other
probably the result of the merger of two galaxies
each of which brought a central black hole with it

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Originally posted by marcus
a binary pair of supermassive black holes
orbiting around each other
probably the result of the merger of two galaxies
each of which brought a central black hole with it

I forgot to tell the recent observation!

The braided jet.

The smaller of the two is emitting a jet----the way black holes do, from the stuff spiraling in and getting hot on the way and getting sent out along the axis---the obersevers think it is the smaller one making this long bright finger of a jet.

And because of the periodic (about 1 year period) going around there is a kind of CORKSCREW twisted braided look to the jet--nice looking like a unicorn's horn is sometimes shown on medieval tapestry, or a knobbly icicle.

http://www.astronomy.com/Content/Dynamic/Articles/000/000/001/338cudnh.asp [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
the telltale observation: short period motion

another telling observation
was "elliptical motion"
in the core of the galaxy

it was so short-period (one year)
that what else could it be?

to orbit each other so fast these extremely massive
things would have to be very close together
so most likely two black holes

probably the observers detected a doppler wobble
which plotted not sinusoidally but in a distorted
sinewave that means ellipse

this is cool, let us give it the guy with sunglasses

That's it.

Your go.

Originally posted by Labguy
That's it.

Your go.

Early in the 17th century Kepler discovered that
one thing was "the sesquipotence" of another thing.

That was how he expressed it---i've taken a look at the
original Latin text with a literal translation. We say it
differently now, most likely, but he said "sesquipotence".

What did he mean by sesquipotence?
What were the two quantities he was talking about?
Which one was the sesquipotence of the other?
What year was this?----discovery and publication happend
within a few months of each other.

A different question, instead of the Kepler one

No one has replied so I will assume its not a good question and ask a different one.

New Question

What z corresponds to a light travel time of 12 billion years?

Assume spatial flatness.

http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/CosmoCalc.html

This requires trying various z until you hit one that gives 12 billion years for the light travel time. When you type in a value for z, press the "flat" button and it will find the light travel time which corresponds to that z.

Unless you explicitly change the default settings, the calculator will assume H0 is 71 in the usual units (km/s per Mpc) and Ωvac = 0.73, and 0.27 for ΩM = 0.27. These are widely accepted values so what I'm looking for is the answer with these default values for H0, Ωvac, and ΩM left unchanged.

The Kepler question seems to have been too obscure :frown: So I withdraw it. For anyone who might be interested, here's a hint:
"sesquicentennial" means the "one-and-a-half century" mark. Sesqui is Latin for 1.5.

Early in the 17th century Kepler discovered that
one thing was "the sesquipotence" of another thing.

That was how he expressed it---i've taken a look at the
original Latin text with a literal translation. We say it
differently now, most likely, but he said "sesquipotence".

What did he mean by sesquipotence?
What were the two quantities he was talking about?
Which one was the sesquipotence of the other?
What year was this?----discovery and publication happend
within a few months of each other.

Last edited:
z = 3.808

z = 3.808

Beautiful! right on the button.

with z = 3.808 the light travel time comes out 12.000 billion years

also, as you probably saw, the current distance to an object whose past light is observed with redshift 3.808 is
given by the calculator as 23.362 billion light years.
this is the Hubble law distance D, so the present speed of
recession is 1.7 c.
We will never see that object as it is today (as long as expansion continues) because it is already out of range.
Nevertheless it and the many other redshift 3.8 objects in the sky are considered to belong to the observable universe, obviously, because we observe them. A paradox one must live with.

Your turn, Labguy. Ask a good one!

Ok, but then I will (try) to sit out awhile to get some other players into this game. I think it is fun, but not everyone has the time to find answers or even look up a good question. I say try because sometimes it is so tempting to jump right on an easy one, or one that I happen, by chance, to already know. That's not many..:frown:

Question:
In the final stages of an implosion supernova, with enough energy to make the "heavy" elements to Lead and above (after the BOOM:

(1) Name the supernova type.
(2) Name the progenitor star type.
(3) Name the final two or three fusion-stages, by elements fused, that result in the last element produced before the implosion.
(4) Name the last element formed before the implosion.

This is not a trick question, but "elements" mean simply those as shown and named on any common periodic table, including any isotope of them, if applicable.

(Note: Marcus: Wait at least 4-5 minutes before answering.. ..)

Ok, but then I will (try) to sit out awhile to get some other players into this game.implosion.
(Note: Marcus: Wait at least 4-5 minutes before answering.. ..)

OK Labguy I see your reason for sitting out a few. Maybe I will take a breather too. But we had some good questions going and I enjoyed it.

OK Labguy I see your reason for sitting out a few. Maybe I will take a breather too. But we had some good questions going and I enjoyed it.
No, no. Go ahead on this one (anyone); it has been more than 30 minutes. This question seems simple, and can be, but I bet a lot of posters here would miss one item in particular.

HINT: Some of the "burning shell" graphics on pages discussed earlier might show an answer; but might not...

Last edited:
No, no. Go ahead on this one (anyone); it has been more than 30 minutes. This question seems simple, and can be, but I bet a lot of posters here would miss one item in particular.

HINT: Some of the "burning shell" graphics on pages discussed earlier might show an answer; but might not...

well I am of two minds about this. I really enjoy this game as a friendly tennis match between the two of us because you know a lot of interesting stuff

on the other hand morally I think it would be good to be more inclusive---so that I should hold back and wait a while before answering each of your questions

I will compromise for now. I will answer ONE PART of your question and then whoever steps in and answers the rest can have a turn.

Let me know if I'm wrong about this----the last element to be made prior to collapse is IRON.

that would, I guess, have to be made from silicon which merges to nickel which emits two betas and decays to iron. I am just
speculating based on the numbers on the atomic table of elements.

Last edited:
well I am of two minds about this. I really enjoy this game as a friendly tennis match between the two of us because you know a lot of interesting stuff

on the other hand morally I think it would be good to be more inclusive---so that I should hold back and wait a while before answering each of your questions

I will compromise for now. I will answer ONE PART of your question and then whoever steps in and answers the rest can have a turn.

Let me know if I'm wrong about this----the last element to be made prior to collapse is IRON.

that would, I guess, have to be made from silicon which merges to nickel which emits two betas and decays to iron. I am just
speculating based on the numbers on the atomic table of elements.
That was the only "hard" part. Most books, and internet sites just say silicon to Iron, when actually it is silicon to 56NI and then to 56Fe.

Anyone else who lists out the other answers will be the next question winner.

Finish the other points on that question, Marcus. (or anyone)!

a) a Supernova Type II
b) a massive red supergiant

- Warren

Question:
In the final stages of an implosion supernova, with enough energy to make the "heavy" elements to Lead and above (after the BOOM:

(1) Name the supernova type.
(2) Name the progenitor star type.
(3) Name the final two or three fusion-stages, by elements fused, that result in the last element produced before the implosion.
(4) Name the last element formed before the implosion.

The progenitor star would be a red giant, of some initially very massive class like a spectral type O.

The supernova is type II-----the implosion kind as opposed to Type Ia, the thermonuclear kind.

As we already discussed the last element is iron
which results from decay of nickel and cobalt.

The last fusion stage is silicon to nickel.

I don't remember just how many solar masses the original star has to be in order to be able to make Type II---or even how positive astrophysicists are about that. So I just say very massive, like a spectral type O or thereabouts. Is that right?

We currently don't know the requisite masses for a star to become a Type II SN. We do know that the iron core of the star has to be larger than the Chandrasekhar "limit," but we're not sure how much mass is lost from the envelope in the explosion, and thus are not sure about the star's minimal total mass.

Neener neener boo boo -- I beat you by seconds. :)

- Warren

Originally posted by chroot
We currently don't know the requisite masses for a star to become a Type II SN. We do know that the iron core of the star has to be larger than the Chandrasekhar "limit," but we're not sure how much mass is lost from the envelope in the explosion, and thus are not sure about the star's minimal total mass.

Neener neener boo boo -- I beat you by seconds. :)

- Warren
Yes, you "finished the list" within seconds of that "other guy".

chroot ask next question.

Somebody ask another question. I survived the surgery I had yesterday and can sit at my desk again without pain pills...

Somebody ask another question. I survived the surgery I had yesterday and can sit at my desk again without pain pills...
That's good news. Congratulations! How's the weather in Tampa Bay area----beautiful around SF Bay now and not too hot.
The universe is expanding. It is Chroot's turn.

I know that I have never posted in this thread but it seems to me that it will be a while before chroot comes back from wherever he may be. It has been 7 days since his last post in this thread so perhaps someone else should go or maybe they could simply send a private message to Chroot.

Originally posted by Shadow
I know that I have never posted in this thread but it seems to me that it will be a while before chroot comes back from wherever he may be. It has been 7 days since his last post in this thread so perhaps someone else should go or maybe they could simply send a private message to Chroot.
No, I asked the last question, but enough time has gone by for chroot to answer with his question since he got the last one right.

If Shadow is "new" around here, take it and ask away. Otherwise, anyone can jump in now. I think that summer vacations will lose some of the regulars for awhile.

No, I asked the last question, but enough time has gone by for chroot to answer with his question since he got the last one right.

If Shadow is "new" around here, take it and ask away. Otherwise, anyone can jump in now. I think that summer vacations will lose some of the regulars for awhile.

I will jump in. My excuse is that I answered almost all of the last question but Chroot beat me to the punch on the final part.

---------------------------------

Use this to answer a simple question:

How long, before the present, has it taken the universe to expand by a factor of two?

To rephrase that, how long ago were distant galaxies, that are like 1 billion LY away now, just half as far away?

--------------------------

This assumes the current assumptions cosmologists make----namely Hubble parameter 71, spatial flatness, cosmological constant 73 percent. But that is all built into the CosmoCalculator.
You just have to plug in a value of the redshift z and it will tell you how long.

But be sure to plug in the value of z that goes with the idea of expanding by a factor of two!

I'm sorry I have never used a website like that before. I usually post in the philosophy and political forums and I am an "ameteur" astronomer. I have a telescope and a few books on astronomy that I read in spare time but I have not gotten very far yet so I am hoping to learn by this thread.

-Shadow

Originally posted by Shadow
I'm sorry I have never used a website like that before. I usually post in the philosophy and political forums and I am an "ameteur" astronomer. I have a telescope and a few books on astronomy that I read in spare time but I have not gotten very far yet so I am hoping to learn by this thread.

Shadow would you mind if I talked you thru this? then you would get the answer and the next turn to ask would be yours.

If you would not mind the bother of just mechanically going thru the motions (if you do, say no!) then here it is.

There is only one thing to do.
Go to

And plug the number 1 into the box that says "z"

It is over on the left side

And then click on the box that says "Flat"

that will do it.

The number of years will show up in the "light travel time" box
on the right of the screen.

Be sure to put the number ONE into the "z" box, and press "Flat".
dont change any of the other settings cause they are usually right. If you have any trouble, post here or write me a PM and I will help.

******the question, quoted from previous post*******

How long, before the present, has it taken the universe to expand by a factor of two?

To rephrase that, how long ago were distant galaxies, that are like 1 billion LY away now, just half as far away?

This assumes the current assumptions cosmologists make----namely Hubble parameter 71, spatial flatness, cosmological constant 73 percent. But that is all built into the CosmoCalculator.
You just have to plug in a value of the redshift z and it will tell you how long.

But be sure to plug in the value of z that goes with the idea of expanding by a factor of two!

FOOTNOTE: the expansion factor corresponding to redshift z is 1+z

So the expansion factor corresponding to redshift 1 is 1+1 =2
But that's what the question is about! Expansion by a factor of two! So the z to use is z = 1.

If you want to know how long it took for the universe to triple---i.e. expand three-fold---up to the present, then put z = 2 into Ned Wright's calculator. Always put one less than the expansion factor you want to know about. There's nothing wrong it is just how astro conventions work and how the calculator is constructed.

another riddle

Well I seem to have answered my own question in the course of explaining how to answer it. So here is another

The temp of the CMB has been measured with fine accuracy to be 2.726 kelvin

But Bill Unruh determined that simple acceleration gives space a temperature. A moving box, if it is accelerating, would have inside it some thermal radiation with a temperature proportional to the amount of accelaration.

So I ask you----how fast would you need to accelerate (meters per second per second, feet per second per second, gees, whatever)
in order to produce an Unruh temp of 2.726 kelvin?

Aaargh ! Nobody likes to calculate! Labguy has made very plain that he loathes to arithmeticize. But shouldn't we know how much acceleration it would take to duplicate the CMB temp?
For sentimental reasons if for no other. The CMB temp is the most prevalent temp in the universe---it IS the temp of the universe.

Aaargh ! Nobody likes to calculate! Labguy has made very plain that he loathes to arithmeticize. But shouldn't we know how much acceleration it would take to duplicate the CMB temp?
The word is "Matherize", not arithmeticize, you bumbling human calculator...

I get 37.14159265 cm/sec./sec. How?; heck, I don't know, I just made it up. But, someone should easily recognize the eight decimal places as something they use a lot.

Sorry for the "No-Answer" post.

Labby

The word is "Matherize", not arithmeticize, you bumbling human calculator...

I get 37.14159265 cm/sec./sec. How?; heck, I don't know, I just made it up. But, someone should easily recognize the eight decimal places as something they use a lot.

Sorry for the "No-Answer" post.

Labby

Some how----a lucky shot in the dark?----you got the right answer! Your turn Labguy.

The forumula for the temperatue is T = g/2pi

where g is the acceleration.

It is sort of like the relation of radius and circumference of a circle
the temperature is the radius of the acceleration. whaaaaa?

So I ask you----how fast would you need to accelerate (meters per second per second, feet per second per second, gees, whatever)
in order to produce an Unruh temp of 2.726 kelvin?

For sentimental reasons if for no other. The CMB temp is the most prevalent temp in the universe---it IS the temp of the universe.

The CMB has a perfect thermal spectrum that a black body would radiate at a temperature of 1.93 x 10-32 natural.

Only need to multiply that by 2pi to get the desired acceleration.
which is 12 x 10-32 Planck.

Evidently this is the acceleration (the answer to the question, cause I said any units you want) which Labguy must have calculated.:wink:

Labguy your only mistake was in trying to convert it to metric, where because of the awkwardness of the system you went way wrong in the fifth decimal place---maybe other places too.

However this will be overlooked in your favor.

Your turn!

I was curious to see how it turned out in metric so I
converted the acceleration

12 x 10-32

into metric and it came out

67 x 1019 meters per second per second.

tho your answer was a few order of magnitudes off I am
delighted to overlook this in the interest of the game

Oh, sorry marcus I have been busy and was unable to reply to your post.

The forumula for the temperatue is T = g/2pi

where g is the acceleration.

It is sort of like the relation of radius and circumference of a circle
the temperature is the radius of the acceleration. whaaaaa?

The CMB has a perfect thermal spectrum that a black body would radiate at a temperature of 1.93 x 10-32 natural.

Only need to multiply that by 2pi to get the desired acceleration.
which is 12 x 10-32 Planck.

Evidently this is the acceleration (the answer to the question, cause I said any units you want) which Labguy must have calculated.:wink:

Labguy your only mistake was in trying to convert it to metric, where because of the awkwardness of the system you went way wrong in the fifth decimal place---maybe other places too.

However this will be overlooked in your favor.

Your turn!
So which is it; wrong at the 5th decimal place, or off by "a few orders of magnitude?? To four decimal places seems Ok, but "a few orders of magnitude" sounds way off. Are you giving me "actual" credit as right or wrong?

Last edited:
I was curious to see how it turned out in metric so I
converted the acceleration

12 x 10-32

into metric and it came out

67 x 1019 meters per second per second.

tho your answer was a few order of magnitudes off I am
delighted to overlook this in the interest of the game
Is that a typo, or did you mean 67 x 10-19 m/s/s instead of the +19 ??

Is that a typo, or did you mean 67 x 10-19 m/s/s instead of the +19 ??

Hello Labguy and Shadow! Glad to hear you. I want Labguy to have the next turn and ask the next question because he at least came up with some answer.

It was not numerically correct and I was just kidding about being only a "little bit" off. But even if waaaayyy off, some answer is better than none at all! Even one meant jokingly (as I think Labguy's) is better.

So your turn to ask.

(I will tell you about calculating the temperature of acceleration---as in Bill Unruh's 1976 paper----in a later follow-up post. The quantum gravity people are often referring to 3 things from the Seventies: Bekenstein's 1973 BH entropy, Hawking 1975 BH temperature, Unruh 1976 acceleration temperature. It is a famous and surprising result that helped stimulate current directions of research. So you might like to know. But right now the game is more important.)

Footnote about T = g/2pi

Unruh discovered that merely accelerating gives space around you a temperature

best to think of an observer in a box. the box is given acceleration so there is thermal radiation inside and some equilibrium temperature

this effect is very very very tiny. Good old mother nature does not confront us with really gross freakishness here. The effect is so tiny that you will never detect it. But it is based on standard physics and is a solid, tho surprising, result.
(essentially just like Hawking's BH temp but in a different context)

No reasonable acceleration is enough to produce a macroscopic temperature, even a small one like 2.726 kelvin!

Anyway the formula for the temperature seen in space by an accelerating observer is T = g/2pi

So to produce a temp of 10-32
requires an acceleration of 2pi x 10-32

You always multiply by 2pi to get the acceleration.

Now Planck temperature is sort of Big Bang temperature and in metric terms it is 1.417 x 1032 kelvin.
So when I say a temp of "10-32 " I mean 1.417 kelvin.

And in metric terms, Planck unit acceleration is 5.56 x 1051 meters per sec per sec. So "10-32 " of acceleration is 5.56 x 1019 meters per sec per sec

You just have to subtract 32 from 51 to get 19.

And 2pi times that is 35 x 1019 meters per sec per sec

That is for making the temperature be 1.4 kelvin or so, earlier I did it for the CMB temperature which is almost twice that.

A more attainable temperature to get by acceleration is a femtokelvin---a quadrillionth of a kelvin

To get 1.4 femtokelvin you need the acceleration to be 35 x 104 meters per second

<h2>1. What is the difference between a planet and a star?</h2><p>A planet is a celestial body that orbits around a star and does not produce its own light. It is much smaller than a star and is made up of mostly rock and gas. A star, on the other hand, is a massive, luminous sphere of plasma that produces its own light and heat through nuclear fusion.</p><h2>2. How many planets are in our solar system?</h2><p>There are eight planets in our solar system: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune. Pluto was previously considered a planet, but is now classified as a dwarf planet.</p><h2>3. What is a constellation?</h2><p>A constellation is a group of stars that form a recognizable pattern in the night sky. They are used as a way to navigate and locate specific stars and objects in the sky.</p><h2>4. What is a black hole?</h2><p>A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. They are formed when a massive star dies and collapses in on itself.</p><h2>5. How do stars die?</h2><p>Stars can die in different ways depending on their size. Smaller stars, like our sun, will eventually run out of fuel and become a white dwarf. Larger stars will go through a series of explosions before collapsing in on themselves and becoming a neutron star or black hole.</p>

1. What is the difference between a planet and a star?

A planet is a celestial body that orbits around a star and does not produce its own light. It is much smaller than a star and is made up of mostly rock and gas. A star, on the other hand, is a massive, luminous sphere of plasma that produces its own light and heat through nuclear fusion.

2. How many planets are in our solar system?

There are eight planets in our solar system: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune. Pluto was previously considered a planet, but is now classified as a dwarf planet.

3. What is a constellation?

A constellation is a group of stars that form a recognizable pattern in the night sky. They are used as a way to navigate and locate specific stars and objects in the sky.

4. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. They are formed when a massive star dies and collapses in on itself.

5. How do stars die?

Stars can die in different ways depending on their size. Smaller stars, like our sun, will eventually run out of fuel and become a white dwarf. Larger stars will go through a series of explosions before collapsing in on themselves and becoming a neutron star or black hole.