Lang or silverman or ?( intro calculus)

In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's dilemma in choosing a calculus textbook for self-teaching for a month. They mention four options: A first course in calculus by Lang (621 pages with perceived lack of exercises), Essential Calculus with Applications by Silverman (286 pages with good exercises), The Calculus Lifesaver by Banner (similar size to Lang's but more exercises), and Calculus for the Practical Man (used by Feynman and only 289 pages). The expert summarizer suggests taking a more rigorous course regardless of the chosen book and recommends Lang's book. The speaker then expresses concern about the length of Lang's book and requests a review of Essential Calculus with Applications by Silverman, which has only 260
theoristo
I've just bought(and borrowed) these books :
A first course in calculus by lang(621 pages but apparentely I've heard it lacks exercises(not enough))
Essential Calculus with Applications by silverman(286 pages apparently very good exercises)
or The calculus lifesaver by Banner(about the same size as lang's but more exercises)
Calculus for the practical man (used by Feynman and only 289 pages)
could you tell me objectively Which one would do for a 5-7 hours a day of self teaching for a month?

Physics news on Phys.org
theoristo said:
apparentely I've heard it lacks exercises(not enough)

Not sure where you heard it, because it's not true. There are enough exercises. Besides, it's only a first course. You should take a more rigorous course anyway, whatever book you choose.

I'd go for Lang.

Likes 1 person
Thanks

micromass said:
Not sure where you heard it, because it's not true. There are enough exercises. Besides, it's only a first course. You should take a more rigorous course anyway, whatever book you choose.

I'd go for Lang.
I've got the fifth edition of lang's book ,It has 621 pages I don't I can go through all of it in time(slow reader and not a lot of time)...I need something smaller and good can you suggest something? if it doesn't bother you can you make a quick review of essential calulus with applications by silverman, since you seem very knowledgeable about textbooks ,Please?...That's would helpful.

Thanks!

Related to Lang or silverman or ?( intro calculus)

1. What is the main difference between Lang and Silverman's intro calculus textbooks?

The main difference between Lang's and Silverman's intro calculus textbooks is their approach to teaching the subject. Lang's textbook focuses more on theoretical concepts and proofs, while Silverman's textbook has a more practical and applied approach.

2. Which textbook is better for a beginner in calculus?

It ultimately depends on the individual's learning style and goals. If the person prefers a more theoretical and rigorous approach, then Lang's textbook may be a better choice. However, if they prefer a more practical and applied approach, then Silverman's textbook may be a better fit.

3. Are there any other recommended textbooks for learning intro calculus?

In addition to Lang and Silverman's textbooks, other popular choices for intro calculus include "Calculus" by James Stewart and "Essential Calculus" by Ron Larson.

4. What topics are covered in Lang and Silverman's intro calculus textbooks?

Both textbooks cover the fundamental concepts of calculus such as limits, derivatives, and integrals. They also cover applications of calculus in various fields, such as physics and economics.

5. Are there any online resources or supplementary materials for these textbooks?

Yes, there are many online resources and supplementary materials available for Lang and Silverman's intro calculus textbooks. These include practice problems, video lectures, and interactive simulations to aid in understanding the concepts.