Lamp Hanging in an Elevator

In summary: If you get more negative tension when it is going up than when it is going down, something is wrong. In this case, it was the sign on the acceleration term.
phillia

Homework Statement

A lamp hangs vertically from a cord in a descending elevator that decelerates at 1.6 m/s2. (a) If the tension in the cord is 92 N, what is the lamp's mass? (b) What is the cord's tension when the elevator ascends with an upward acceleration of 1.6 m/s2?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

a) using M for mass, so as not to confuse it with 'm' for meters
F(net)=M*a, T-F(gravity) = M*a
92N - M*(9.8 * m/s^2) = M*(-1.6 * m/s^2)
9.8*M - 1.6 M = 92 kg
M = 11 kg

b)
T - (11 kg)*(9.8 m/s^2) = (11 kg)*(1.6 m/s^2)
T = 18N + 110N
T = 128N

Both of my answers are wrong. Where am I going wrong in my thought process?

Physics news on Phys.org
Always look at your equation from a common sense perspective. You have an elevator that is going down and slowing its descent. That tells me that if you are looking at tension in the cord that suspends it and the acceleration terms are on the same side of the equation, they had better have the same sign so that they will add together in a positive manner to increase tension.

In part a) the elevator is decelerating downwards, so I made it negative. In part b) the elevator is accelerating upwards, so I made it positive. My thought process was:

Upwards (positive) vectors:
Tension T

Downwards (negative) vectors:
M*Gravity

acceleration = 1.6 (part b only)
deceleration = -1.6 (part a only)

I'm sorry, but I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to tell me.

92N - M*(9.8 * m/s^2) = M*(-1.6 * m/s^2)

Above is your equation. If you move the second term on the LHS to the RHS you get

92N = M*(9.8 * m/s^2) + M*(-1.6 * m/s^2)

As you can see, they don't have the same sign. Since the elevator is slowing and going down, the tension (which is due to weight and acceleration) must get greater. How can it with your signs being different?

So I don't need to negate the acceleration even though it's decelerating, because it's not an actual force vector acting upon the lamp? I removed the (-) and my answer is correct now (thank you!), but I just want to understand the 'why' so I can not make this mistake again.

Last edited:
Draw a free body diagram of the lamp (descening elevator) calling it M for its mass. There are several forces on it. Use arrows to denote their direction.

First is its weight; the arrow should be down.
Section is the tension of cord; arrow should be up.
Third is the acceleration force due to its slowing down. Because the acceleration is upward (slowing down), the force is in the opposite direction which is down.

So summing forces and setting to zero with up being positive you have

T - W - M*a = 0

where W and M*a are > 0.

Always look at your equation and see if it makes good sense to you.

Related to Lamp Hanging in an Elevator

What is the purpose of a lamp hanging in an elevator?

The lamp hanging in an elevator serves as a safety feature to provide lighting in case of a power outage or emergency. It also serves as an indicator of the elevator's movement, such as when it reaches a certain floor.

How does the lamp hanging in an elevator work?

The lamp is connected to the elevator's electrical system and is powered by the building's electricity. When the elevator is in motion, the lamp will light up to indicate its direction and movement. In case of a power outage, the lamp will switch to a backup battery to continue providing lighting.

Why is the lamp hanging in an elevator usually red?

Red is commonly used for the lamp in an elevator as it is a bright and attention-grabbing color. In case of an emergency, the red light can alert passengers and building staff to the elevator's location and potential issues.

Are there any regulations or standards for the lamp hanging in an elevator?

Yes, there are regulations and standards set by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) for elevator lighting. These include requirements for the brightness, color, and placement of the lamp, as well as backup power sources in case of emergencies.

Can the lamp hanging in an elevator be turned off?

In most cases, the lamp in an elevator cannot be turned off by passengers. It is a safety feature that needs to be operational at all times. However, building maintenance staff may be able to turn off the lamp for maintenance purposes.