We may have to move Loch Ness to this forum

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forum
In summary: In SummaryAccording to the article, a long-necked sea reptile that lived 150 million years ago has been found in Loch Ness -- giving rise to yet another Nessie tale. Meanwhile, on the shores of Loch Ness in the Scottish Highlands, retired scrap dealer Gerald McSorley, who recently had a hip replaced, stumbled and fell into the water -- where his hand felt a strange object. When he brought it to a museum in Edinburgh to have it examined by experts, they told him it was the 150 million-year-old fossilized vertebrae of what was likely a plesiosaur. While this appears to be legitimate, I am posting here with the disclaimer that I am not making claims, but this
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Since this appears to be legit I am posting here. I am not making claims, but this looks serious. The source appears to be respectible. My apologies in advance if this is bogus.

"Meanwhile, on the shores of Loch Ness in the Scottish Highlands, retired scrap dealer Gerald McSorley, who recently had a hip replaced, stumbled and fell into the water -- where his hand felt a strange object. When he brought it to a museum in Edinburgh to have it examined by experts, they told him it was the 150 million-year-old fossilized vertebrae of what was likely a plesiosaur."

http://canada.com/national/story.asp?id=D6312F80-8167-421C-A206-9C3C7F6CD03A [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
The Washington Times and UPI are playing this down.

STIRLING, Scotland, July 17 (UPI) -- The fossilized remains of a long-necked sea reptile that lived 150 million years ago have been found in Loch Ness -- giving rise to yet another Nessie tale.

http://www.washtimes.com/upi-breaking/20030717-050058-4193r.htm

I thought that a key argument against a "Nessie" is that plesiosaurs could not have gotten into the Loch. Perhaps this is not a plesiosaur's remains?

Last edited:
I guess that proves that 150 Myears ago Nessie was there. Maybe Loch Ness was part of a sea back then...

i think you will find that loch ness didnt exist 150my ago so even though the fossil was found there it predates loch ness
sorry to spoil your fun

http://www.scottishgeology.com/timeline/Jurassic.html [Broken]
this website shows a map of scotland in the jurassic period
i hope you find it as interesting as i do
http://dinosaurs.jurassicisland.ch/news.eng.shtml [Broken]
this article from the mesozic press gives a good overview about the find

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by wolram
i think you will find that loch ness didnt exist 150my ago so even though the fossil was found there it predates loch ness
sorry to spoil your fun

Really I would be as surprised as anyone if they found a Nessie. This is one claim that I have written off to sturgeon. There was a sighting about 20 years ago that involved about 5 or 6 six people. One woman had a gun and shot at it...or course... and the next day a sturgeon with a bullet wound was found along the shore.

Also, upon reflection, the argument that I was thinking of was that plesiosaurs could have once existed here but that they never could have survived the last ice age. I was thinking that finding one here was significant. Sorry, probably nothing it seems.

Thanks Wolram for the links.

The one point that keeps my interest is that apparently all claims of lake monsters reference deep land locked lakes at about 45 degrees latitude. If this is accurate then it is rather interesting. Perhaps this speak to the formation of deep lakes somehow?

It's beleived that

the Chinese beleif in Dragons originated from the Dinosaur bones so abundant in some regions of China.

1. What is the reason for considering moving Loch Ness to this forum?

The reason for considering moving Loch Ness to this forum is to facilitate more scientific research and discussion about the famous lake and its legendary monster.

2. Who is responsible for making the decision to move Loch Ness to this forum?

The decision to move Loch Ness to this forum would ultimately be made by a team of scientists and researchers who are experts in the field of lake ecology and cryptozoology.

3. Will this forum be open to the public or only to scientists?

This forum will be open to both scientists and the public. The goal is to promote collaboration and communication between experts and curious individuals who are interested in the topic.

4. What kind of discussions and research will be conducted on this forum?

The discussions and research conducted on this forum will cover a wide range of topics related to Loch Ness, including its ecology, history, and the search for any potential cryptids living in the lake.

5. How will moving Loch Ness to this forum benefit scientific understanding of the lake and its inhabitants?

Moving Loch Ness to this forum will allow for a centralized location for experts to share their findings and theories, leading to a better understanding of the lake and its possible inhabitants. It will also provide a platform for collaboration and the exchange of ideas among scientists and the public.