Lagrangians and Noether Theorem

In summary, a Lagrangian is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a physical system, while the Noether Theorem is a fundamental principle in physics that relates symmetries of a system to conservation laws. The Lagrangian is used to derive equations of motion for a system, which can then be used with the Noether Theorem to determine conserved quantities. These concepts have many applications in physics, but may not be effective for complex or non-conservative systems.
atomqwerty

Homework Statement

Let be the lagrangian given by

[itex]L(x,y,\dot{x},\dot{y})=\frac{m}{2}(\dot{x^2} +\dot{y^2})-V(x^{2}+y^{2})[/itex]

and

[itex]L(x,y,\dot{x},\dot{y})=\frac{m}{2}(\dot{x^2} + \dot{y^2})-V(x^{2}+y^{2}) - \frac{k}{2}x^{2}[/itex]

and the transformation

[itex]x'=\cos\alpha x - \sin\alpha y[/itex]
[itex]y'=\sin\alpha x + \cos\alpha y[/itex]

Show the invariant observable with respect to the symmetry of this transformation (Noether's Theorem) for both Lagrangians.

Homework Equations

Noether Theorem says that for each variable x such as [itex]\partial L/\partial x = 0[/itex] then x is said to be invariant and [itex]\partial L/\partial \dot{x} = 0[/itex] is constant of motion for that system.

The Attempt at a Solution

First, the transformation from (x,y) to (x',y') doesn't change the Lagrangian, and since L does depend on [itex]x, y, \dot{x}, \dot{y}[/itex] on both Lagrangians, then the only non explicit variable is time t, and in that case the conserved quantity would be the Energy E = T + V. I must be wrong since this is a problem of an exam of Theoretical Mechanics in University...

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
atomqwerty said:
[...]

[itex]L(x,y,\dot{x},\dot{y})=\frac{m}{2}(\dot{x}^2 +\dot{y}^2)-V(x^{2}+y^{2}) - \frac{k}{2} x^{2}[/itex]

and the transformation

[itex]x'=cos\alpha x - sin\alpha y[/itex]
[itex]y'=sin\alpha x +cos\alpha y[/itex]

Show the invariant observable with respect to the symmetry of this transformation (Noether's Theorem) for both Lagrangians.

[...]

You need to think about Noether's theorem. Can you show that the 2 Lagrangians are invariant under the mentioned transformations ?

I could check that both [itex]\dot{x^2}+\dot{y^2}[/itex] and [itex]x^2+y^2[/itex] keep the same under that transformation, and so that there's no variable [itex]x[/itex] or [itex]y[/itex] that verifies [itex]\partial L / \partial x =0[/itex], [itex]\partial L / \partial y =0[/itex]. That's what I thought of time instead...

Noether's theorem is something else. It states, that for every continuous symmetry of a theory there is a conserved charge. You simply try to find cyclic coordinates which does not give you a conserved quantity here.

What you need to do is to consider an infinitesimal transformation. So just choose [itex]\alpha[/itex] infinitesimal. Therefore:
[itex]x'=x-\alpha y, y'=y+\alpha x[/itex]

The conserved quantity is then given by
[itex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}}\frac{\delta x}{\alpha}+\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{y}}\frac{\delta y}{\alpha}[/itex]

You will see, for example, that it is angular momentum [itex]m(\dot{y}x-\dot{x}y)[/itex] for the first lagrangian.

And by [itex]\delta x[/itex] do you mean [itex]-\alpha y[/itex], and by [itex]\delta y[/itex] do you mean [itex]\alpha x[/itex]?

Yes, exactly.

Why is the conserved quantity given by that expression? I've just been thinking about it via Poisson brackets and I can't derive it. Thanks

Last edited:
The Lagrangian is invariant under the transformation [itex]\delta L=0[/itex].

I just prove the conservation of the Noether charge for one variable x instead of x and y. The proof obviously works for more variables:
You want to show [itex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}}\frac{\delta x}{\alpha}[/itex] is conserved, i.e. [itex]\frac{d}{dt} \left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}}\frac{\delta x}{\alpha}\right)=0[/itex]

[itex]\frac{d}{dt} \left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}}\frac{\delta x}{\alpha}\right) =
\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}}\right)\frac{\delta x}{\alpha}+\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}}\frac{\delta \dot{x}}{\alpha}=\frac{\partial L}{\partial x}\frac{\delta x}{\alpha}+\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}}\frac{\delta \dot{x}}{\alpha}= \frac{1}{\alpha}\delta L = 0[/itex]

In the second step I have used the Euler Lagrange equations to simplify the first term. This is actually important. The conserved charge is only conserved for solutions of the Euler Lagrange equations. Classically, all particles obey the equations. However, in QFT for example, there are so-called off-shell particles, that do not obey the equations of motion. For these, the Noether current is not necessarily conserved.

I can see that the same quantity )angular momentum) is conserved also for the second Lagrangian, isn't it?

The second Lagrangian is not invariant under the given transformation. Are you sure it is right?

Well, following
physicus said:
The conserved quantity is then given by
[itex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}}\frac{\delta x}{\alpha}+\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{y}}\frac{\delta y}{\alpha}[/itex]

then the new term of the second Lagrangian does not depend on [itex]\dot{x}[/itex] or [itex]\dot{y}[/itex], right?

This formula for the conserved charge is only valid if the Lagrangian is invariant under the given transformation (you have seen that I used [itex]\delta L=0[/itex] in the proof). But I don't see why the second Lagrangian should be invariant. Pick for example [itex]\alpha=\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex], then [itex]x \rightarrow -y, y \rightarrow x[/itex]. Then the tranformed Lagrangian is
[itex]\frac{m}{2}(\dot{x^2} + \dot{y^2})-V(x^{2}+y^{2}) - \frac{k}{2}y^{2} \not= L[/itex]. There seems to be an error in the problem the way you have written it down in the beginning.

Related to Lagrangians and Noether Theorem

1. What is a Lagrangian?

A Lagrangian is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a physical system. It is typically represented by the symbol L and is defined as the difference between the kinetic energy and the potential energy of the system.

2. What is the Noether Theorem?

The Noether Theorem is a fundamental principle in physics that relates symmetries of a physical system to conservation laws. It states that for every continuous symmetry of a system, there exists a corresponding conserved quantity.

3. How is the Lagrangian related to the Noether Theorem?

The Lagrangian is used to derive the equations of motion for a physical system, which can then be used to determine the symmetries of the system. These symmetries can then be applied to the Noether Theorem to determine the conserved quantities of the system.

4. What are some applications of the Lagrangian and Noether Theorem?

The Lagrangian and Noether Theorem have many applications in various fields of physics, including classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and field theory. They are used to derive the equations of motion for systems, determine conservation laws, and study the symmetries of physical systems.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of the Lagrangian and Noether Theorem?

While the Lagrangian and Noether Theorem are powerful tools for analyzing physical systems, they do have some limitations. They are most effective for describing systems with well-defined energy and momentum, and may not be applicable to systems with non-conservative forces or complex dynamics.