Lagrangian of fields from Feynman diagrams

In summary, it is easy to deduce the Lagrangian of the fields of a theory knowing only his Feynman Diagrams. Free Lagrangian can appear with differentiation and interaction terms can appear multiplying or with another operation. Once you understand this, it is easy to go the other way: determine the lagrangian from the Feynman rules.
Garrulo
¿How is possible deduce the Lagrangian of the fields of a theory knowing only his Feynman Diagrams?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think it's possible? One Lagrangian gives you an infinite number of diagrams.

Garrulo said:
¿How is possible deduce the Lagrangian of the fields of a theory knowing only his Feynman Diagrams?
It's easy to deduce the Lagrangian from the Feynman rules. From the vertex rule you can deduce the interaction Lagrangian, and from the line rule you can deduce the propagator and hence the free Lagrangian.

But how can I know what operators (differentiation, product, etc...) must have every term from interaction between fields or from the free field terms?

Garrulo said:
But how can I know what operators (differentiation, product, etc...) must have every term from interaction between fields or from the free field terms?
I'm not sure I understand the question. Can you give me an example?

Sorry, I still don't understand the question. :wideeyed:

L=ψ¯(iγμDμ−m)ψ This is the electrodebil lagrangian (but my question is general about the other fields)
d96442d6e7296c41a40de6ee8b19ad45.png
I know the fermion field appears first in a free term conjugate multipluing gamma matrix and after (second term of the parenthesis) not free but interacting with the field B. ¿How can I know that the interaction term is a product and the free term is a differentiation. Free lagrangian can appear with differentiation and interaction terms can appear multiplying or with another operation. How can I know it?

Derivatives in the lagrangian lead to factors of momentum in the Feynman rule (either in the propagator for a 2-field term, or in a vertex for 3-or-more field term). Local products of fields in the lagrangian lead to conservation of momentum at a vertex.

This is treated in every QFT text. My personal recommendation is Srednicki, but this is covered in any of them.

Not, but I don´t want to how interpret the integral of Feynman diagram, I want to know the lagrangian of the field theory starting from Feynman Diagrams

That's exactly what I was outlining.

Propagators give you the terms in the lagrangian that are bilinear in the fields ("kinetic" and "mass" terms), vertices give you the terms in the lagrangian that involve the product of 3 or more fields ("interaction" terms). How you get the Feynman rules from the lagrangian is explained in any QFT text. Once you understand this, it is easy to go the other way: determine the lagrangian from the Feynman rules.

So: do you understand how to derive Feynman rules from a lagrangian? If not, learn that first.

Likes Demystifier
Demystifier said:
From the vertex rule you can deduce the interaction Lagrangian

But how do you know that you have all the vertex rules? For example, in QCD you have a three-gluon and a four-gluon coupling. If you are only given the three-gluon coupling, how do you know what the four-gluon coupling is, at least without any new information?

My understanding of the OP's question is, given all the Feynman rules, how do you deduce the lagrangian? If you only have a subset of the rules, in general, you can only deduce a subset of the terms in the langrangian.

If you know something else, you might be able to do more. In your QCD example, we could deduce the 4-gluon vertex from the 3-gluon vertex if we also assume gauge invariance.

Likes Demystifier
A Feynman diagram proportionate a term for lagrangian, it is the sum of all of them (infinite) which give us the complete lagrangian. I am not interested in doing all the sum, only to know the mechanism for transform a feynman diagram in a term of the lagrangian

I ask again: do you understand how to derive Feynman rules from a lagrangian, as done in any of the standard texts? (Weinberg, Peskin & Schroder, Srednicki, etc.)

No, in the career only explain some Feynman diagrams tree level. I know some of the books but I dont´use for work with Feynman diagramms. But in this books come the inverse explanation too, not only from lagrangian to diagram, the inverse problem too??

Garrulo said:
No, in the career only explain some Feynman diagrams tree level. I know some of the books but I dont´use for work with Feynman diagramms. But in this books come the inverse explanation too, not only from lagrangian to diagram, the inverse problem too??
In the books you will probably not find the inverse explanation discussed explicitly. But once you understand how to derive Feynman rules from the Lagrangian, you will be able to solve the inverse problem by yourself. It is very easy to go backwards once you know how to go forwards. But first you need to learn how to go forwards.

Do you know any website when it is explained singlely?? Uffff..my teachers in the career only tell me how convert the diagram in an integration, but no how deduce it from lagrangian. I don´t know if in other universities maybe you will receive better explanations

Thanks

Srednicki's QFT text (in draft form) is freely available from his web site.

Thanks, I wish I can understand it. The phormulas in the first page they scared me yet xD

Srednicki's QFT is very easy to go on at starting but when insert green functions I don´t understand then nothing. I looked at Feynman Diagrams and the notation is strange. Do you know a e-book with a more simple level??

Related to Lagrangian of fields from Feynman diagrams

What is the Lagrangian of fields from Feynman diagrams?

The Lagrangian of fields from Feynman diagrams is a mathematical concept used in quantum field theory to describe the dynamics of particles and fields. It is a function that specifies the interactions between particles and how they change over time.

How is the Lagrangian of fields calculated from Feynman diagrams?

The Lagrangian of fields is calculated by first determining the Feynman rules for the specific field theory being studied. These rules dictate how to assign mathematical expressions to each vertex and propagator in the Feynman diagram. The Lagrangian is then expressed as a sum of all possible Feynman diagrams, with each diagram contributing a specific mathematical term.

What is the significance of the Lagrangian of fields in quantum field theory?

The Lagrangian of fields is a fundamental concept in quantum field theory, as it allows for the calculation of important quantities such as scattering amplitudes and cross sections. It also provides a way to understand the interactions between particles and fields and how they can change over time.

Can the Lagrangian of fields be used in any field theory?

Yes, the Lagrangian of fields can be used in any field theory, as long as the field theory is described by a Lagrangian. This includes theories such as quantum electrodynamics, quantum chromodynamics, and the Standard Model of particle physics.

Are there any limitations to using the Lagrangian of fields from Feynman diagrams?

While the Lagrangian of fields is a powerful tool in understanding quantum field theory, it does have some limitations. It is only applicable to theories that can be described by a Lagrangian, and it does not provide a complete understanding of all physical phenomena. Additionally, the calculations involved in determining the Lagrangian can be complex and time-consuming.