Microsoft warns of critical Windows flaw : News.com

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows
In summary, Microsoft released a patch to fix a security vulnerability in all versions of Windows except for Windows ME. This could allow attackers to take control of computers. However, some users believe that the notoriously buggy Windows ME may not be worth hacking into.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
"The software giant issued a patch Wednesday morning to plug a critical security hole that could allow an attacker to take control of computers running any version of Windows except for Windows ME."

http://news.com.com/2100-1009_3-1026420.html

Physics news on Phys.org
could allow an attacker to take control of computers running any version of Windows except for Windows ME.

wow, that's the first time its paid off to have the bastard child of microsoft, aka win me, instead of a different version!

IMO WinME is soooooo bad there's no need for hackers to take control. It behaves the same...

I use WinME...and it S***S...but...no hacking...hohoho...

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
"The software giant issued a patch Wednesday morning to plug a critical security hole that could allow an attacker to take control of computers running any version of Windows except for Windows ME."

http://news.com.com/2100-1009_3-1026420.html
I wonder if they truly took the time to try it on win311 when they say "any version of Windows...".

1. What is the critical Windows flaw that Microsoft has warned about?

Microsoft has warned about a critical flaw in the Windows operating system that could allow malicious actors to take control of a user's computer.

2. How severe is this Windows flaw?

This flaw has been given a severity rating of 10 out of 10 by Microsoft, indicating that it is extremely critical and could have a widespread impact.

3. How can this Windows flaw be exploited?

The flaw can be exploited through a specially crafted image file, such as a JPEG or PNG file, that can be sent to a user via email or downloaded from a malicious website.

4. Has Microsoft released a fix for this Windows flaw?

Yes, Microsoft has released a security update to address this critical flaw. Users are advised to install this update as soon as possible to protect their systems.

5. How can I protect myself from this Windows flaw until I can install the update?

Users can protect themselves by avoiding opening or downloading image files from untrusted sources and ensuring that their antivirus software is up-to-date. It is also recommended to enable automatic updates for Windows to ensure timely installation of security updates.