Lagrangian Mechanics - Non Commutativity rule

In summary: On the one hand, it's easy to understand, and on the other hand, it can be difficult to see where a particular concept is coming from.In summary, the difference between the temporal derivative of a variation and variation of the temporal derivative is discussed. It is presented as a rule, commutativity, and possible non-commutative rule in the book I am reading. I do not understand how the equivalence between the variation of a derivative and the derivative of a variation can be a fact, rather than an arbitrary choice. Could maybe anyone shed some light?
muzialis
Hi there,

I am reading about Lagrangian mechanics.
At some point the difference between the temporal derivative of a variation and variation of the temporal derivative is discussed.
The fact that the two are the same is presented in the book I am reading as a rule, commutativity, and possible non-commutative rule.
I do not get it: given a path q(t) and its variation $$\deltaq(t)$$, the equivalence between the variation of a derivative and the derivative of a variation seems to me a fact, not an arbitrary choice.
Could maybe anyone shed some light?
Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
What book are you reading? In Lagrangian mechanics, ##q## and ##\dot q## are treated as independent parameters, so variation of time derivative of q and time derivative of variation in q don't mean the same thing.
Variation of derivative: ##\delta \dot q##
Derivative of variation: ##\frac{\partial}{\partial t} \delta q##

I am reading Cornelius Lanczos' "The Variational principles of Mechanics", and Vujanovic, Atackanovic "Introduction to Modern Variational tecniques in Mechanics and Engineering".

I understand that in some derivations q and its time derivative are treated as independent, that they are to be viewed as independent while partially differentiating the Lagrangian, but I am struggling to understand your reply in full, could you please expand?
How can an object and its time derivative be independent?

Many thanks for your help

Last edited:
The notation physicists use has been specifically designed to scare new students. Srsly, 90% of problems would be mitigated if physics adopted a better notation for derivatives, differentials, variations and integrals.

Haeel,
your comment is interesting. It would be certianly the most welcome shouldyou expnad upon it: for example, how would a better notation shed light on the topic of non-commutativity?
thanks a lot

muzialis said:
I am reading Cornelius Lanczos' "The Variational principles of Mechanics", and Vujanovic, Atackanovic "Introduction to Modern Variational tecniques in Mechanics and Engineering".

The Lanczos' book is in agreement with your interpretation. I have not read the other one.

Some texts have two sorts of variations.

1. Isochronous variation. This is the variation of the kind ##\delta q(t) = \epsilon s(t) ##. With this sort of variation, ## {d \over dt} \delta q = \delta \dot q ##. This is the most commonly encountered kind of variations.

2. Non-isochronous variation. This chief idea behind this variation is that not only do we morph the function into something else, but we also mess with time, so the varied function is both changed and evaluated at a different time. So ##\delta q = \epsilon s + \dot q \delta t##. This sort of variation is less common, and ## {d \over dt} \delta q \ne \delta \dot q ##.

I would have to agree that the notation in the calculus of variations is not particularly illuminating. It's both a blessing and a curse.

Related to Lagrangian Mechanics - Non Commutativity rule

1. What is the Non Commutativity rule in Lagrangian Mechanics?

The Non Commutativity rule in Lagrangian Mechanics refers to the fact that the order in which two operations are performed matters. In other words, the result of two operations may not be the same as the result of performing the same operations in a different order.

2. How does the Non Commutativity rule affect Lagrangian Mechanics?

The Non Commutativity rule has a significant impact on Lagrangian Mechanics because it affects the equations of motion and the way in which physical systems are described and analyzed. It requires careful consideration and understanding in order to accurately model and predict the behavior of a system.

3. Why is the Non Commutativity rule important in Lagrangian Mechanics?

The Non Commutativity rule is important in Lagrangian Mechanics because it allows for a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of physical systems. By considering the order in which operations are performed, we can account for important factors such as time and energy, leading to more accurate predictions and models.

4. Can you provide an example of the Non Commutativity rule in action?

One example of the Non Commutativity rule in Lagrangian Mechanics is the calculation of angular momentum in a rotating system. The order in which the position and momentum variables are multiplied affects the final result, leading to different values for angular momentum.

5. How can the Non Commutativity rule be applied in real-world situations?

The Non Commutativity rule can be applied in various real-world situations, such as in the analysis of rotating objects or in the study of quantum mechanics. In these situations, considering the order of operations is crucial in accurately describing and predicting the behavior of the system.