Lagrangian/Hamiltonian problems and find the position

• Thread starter JonnyMaddox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Position
In summary, the conversation is about finding resources for exercises on Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics and improving skills in finding the geometry of a system. A suggestion is made to refer to the Schaum's Outline for Theoretical Mechanics for more practice.
JonnyMaddox
Hi, does somebody know a good website with many exercises about Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics? And I mean problems with physical system and no mambo jambo around it. A list of like 30 problems with solutions would be cool(if that exists). My second question is how I can get better at finding the geometry of a system? For example finding the position coordinates. I'm not that bad, but it could be better. I ofter get it wrong when the system is a bit more complex, which is related to my first question somehow I guess.

Greets

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Lagrangian/Hamiltonian problems and find the position

1. What is the difference between Lagrangian and Hamiltonian problems?

Lagrangian problems involve finding the path of a system by minimizing a function called the action, while Hamiltonian problems involve finding the equations of motion for a system by minimizing a function called the Hamiltonian.

2. What is the importance of Lagrangian/Hamiltonian problems in physics?

Lagrangian/Hamiltonian problems provide a more comprehensive and elegant approach to solving problems in classical mechanics. They also have applications in other areas such as quantum mechanics and control theory.

3. How do you find the position of a system using Lagrangian/Hamiltonian problems?

To find the position of a system using Lagrangian/Hamiltonian problems, you first need to set up the equations of motion using the respective functions (action for Lagrangian, Hamiltonian for Hamiltonian). Then, you can solve these equations to determine the position of the system at any given time.

4. What types of systems can be solved using Lagrangian/Hamiltonian problems?

Lagrangian/Hamiltonian problems can be used to solve a wide range of systems, including mechanical systems with multiple particles, systems with constraints, and systems subject to external forces.

5. Are there any limitations to using Lagrangian/Hamiltonian problems to find the position of a system?

While Lagrangian/Hamiltonian problems are powerful tools, they do have some limitations. These methods are most useful for systems with well-defined equations of motion and may not be as effective for highly complex or chaotic systems.