Lagrange ' s equations for spring problem

In summary, the two masses are in equilibrium and the motion is determined by the following equations:-T = (1/2)mxdot ^ 2 + (1/2)mydot ^ 2-V = (1/2)kx ^ 2 +(1/2)k(x-y) ^ 2
student1938
Ok, there are two objects of mass m on a frictionless table. The 2 masses are connected to the other by a spring of spring constant k. One mass is connected to a wall with a spring of the same constant k. Solve for the motion using Lagrange' s equations.

I used generalized coordinates x starting from the centre of the mass closer to the wall and y starting from teh center of the mass farthest from the wall. I get T = (1/2)mxdot ^ 2 + (1/2)mydot ^ 2

V = (1/2)kx ^ 2 +(1/2)k(x-y) ^ 2

I know that this contains cross terms but uptill this stage , is it correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's fine, except you didn't include the rest lenghts of the springs. If we stick with your notation, let's use xo as the rest length of the 1st spring and yo as the rest length of the second spring. Kinetic coenergy is the same:
[tex] T^* = \frac 1 2 m\dot{x}^2 + \frac 1 2 m\dot{y}^2 [/tex]
Potential energy looks more like this:
[tex] V = \frac 1 2 k\left(x-x_o\right)^2 + \frac 1 2 k\left(y-x-y_o\right)^2 [/tex]

Don't worry about simplfying any algebra at this point; just right L = T*-V and start differentiating away (or, as one of my buddies used to say, Lagrangiate). Have fun.

Couldn' t I take x0, y0 to be zero?

Yes, provided that you define your coordinates properly. I thought you had defined the distances from the wall. I just re-read your post and I think I'm wrong about that, but I'm still not quite sure.

To avoid any ambiguity:
Let x = the distance of the first mass (the one closer to the wall) measured from the original position of that mass (its position when the system is in equilibrium).
and similarly:
Let y = the distance of the second mass (the one farthest from the wall) measured from the original position of that mass (its position when the system is in equilibrium).

That may have been what you originally meant, but I didn't read it that way. Sorry for any confusion.

Related to Lagrange ' s equations for spring problem

1. What are Lagrange's equations for a spring problem?

Lagrange's equations for a spring problem are a set of equations used to describe the motion of a mass attached to a spring. They take into account the potential and kinetic energy of the system to determine the equations of motion for the mass.

2. How do Lagrange's equations differ from Newton's laws of motion?

Lagrange's equations take into account the energy of a system, while Newton's laws only consider forces acting on a mass. Lagrange's equations also take into account constraints in the system, such as the length of a spring, while Newton's laws do not.

3. What is the significance of the generalized coordinates in Lagrange's equations?

The generalized coordinates in Lagrange's equations represent the coordinates that uniquely define the position of a system. They can be chosen to simplify the equations of motion and make them easier to solve.

4. How are Lagrange's equations solved for a spring problem?

To solve Lagrange's equations for a spring problem, the potential and kinetic energy of the system must be determined. These are then used to write out the equations of motion, which can then be solved using mathematical techniques such as integration or differentiation.

5. What are some real-world applications of Lagrange's equations for spring problems?

Lagrange's equations for spring problems have many applications in physics and engineering. They are commonly used in the study of oscillatory systems, such as pendulums and vibrating systems. They are also used in the design and analysis of mechanical systems, such as springs in car suspensions or shock absorbers.