Lagrange qustion, a partilcle confined to a spherical cone

In summary, the problem involves a particle confined to move on the surface of a circular cone with its axis on the vertical z axis and vertex at origin. The task is to find the Lagrangian in terms of spherical coordinates and to set up the kinetic energy in these coordinates. After converting the Cartesian coordinates to spherical polar coordinates, and taking into account the constraint that theta is constant, the kinetic energy is found to be 1/2 times the mass multiplied by the sum of the squared time derivatives of r and the product of r and the sine of alpha times the time derivative of phi.
mjmontgo

Homework Statement

A particle is confined to move on the surface of a circular cone with its axis
on the vertical z axis, vertex at origin (pointing down), and half-angle α(alpha)

a) write down the lagrangian in terms of spherical coordinates r and ø (phi)

Homework Equations

x=rsinθcosø y=rsinθsinø z=rcosθ
the constraint for a circular cone is z=( x^2 + y^2)^1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

So using this constraint and some definitions of cartesian--> spherical coordinates one can show
that θ is constant, i.e θ=α (alpha)

My problem here is setting up the Kinetic Energy, as the Lagrangian (L) is
L= T (kinetic) - U(potential) energies.
In cartesian T= 1/2m(d/dt(x)^2+d/dt(y)^2+d/dt(z)^2)
My problem is now converting this to spherical polar coordinates, keeping in mind all time derivatives of θ=zero because theta is constant (θ=α)
I've found a solution online and it gives the kinetic Energy as
T=1/2m(d/dt(r)^2+(rsinαø^(dot))^2) ...so the 1/2m( rdot^2 + (rsinαø(dot)^2)
where ø(dot) is time derivate w.r.t phi...If anyone could help me get to this conclusion it would be appreciated. I've tried substituting directly for d/dt (x^2+y^2+z^2) but i do not get this answer,
i think it is just perhaps my math (algrebra) screwing me up.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
d/dt (x^2+y^2+z^2) is not the same as (dx/dt)^2 + etc.

You need to know the conversion between Cartesian and spherical polar coordinates.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_coordinate_system (scroll down page).

[tex]x=r\sin(\theta)\cos(\phi)[/tex]
[tex]y=r\sin(\theta)\sin(\phi)[/tex]
[tex]z=r\cos(\theta)[/tex]

Find the derivatives with respect time when θ=constant=α. Substitute for ##\dot x##, ##\dot y##, ##\dot z## in the formula for the KE. It simplifies to
[tex]KE = \frac{m}{2} \left(\dot r^2+(r \sin(\theta)\dot {\phi} )^2\right)[/tex]

Related to Lagrange qustion, a partilcle confined to a spherical cone

1. What is the Lagrange question for a particle confined to a spherical cone?

The Lagrange question for a particle confined to a spherical cone is a mathematical problem that involves finding the equations of motion for a particle constrained to move on the surface of a cone with a spherical base.

2. What is the significance of the Lagrange question in physics?

The Lagrange question is significant in physics because it allows us to understand the motion of a particle in a constrained system. It is a fundamental concept in classical mechanics and has applications in various fields such as celestial mechanics and robotics.

3. How is the Lagrange question solved?

The Lagrange question is typically solved using the Lagrangian formalism, which involves finding the Lagrangian function for the system and using the Euler-Lagrange equations to obtain the equations of motion for the particle. Alternatively, it can also be solved using the Hamiltonian formalism.

4. Can the Lagrange question be applied to other geometries?

Yes, the Lagrange question can be applied to other geometries such as a spherical surface, a torus, or a cylinder. It involves finding the equations of motion for a particle constrained to move on the surface of the given geometry.

5. What are some real-world examples of the Lagrange question?

The Lagrange question can be applied to many real-world examples, such as the motion of a satellite orbiting around a planet, the movement of a pendulum, and the motion of a ball rolling on the surface of a dome. It is also used in robotics to study the movement of robotic arms and limbs.