Lagrange Coefficients for Two-Body Equation of Motion

In summary, we discussed the two-body equation of motion in vector form and how the $f$ and $g$ functions can be used to satisfy the equation. We also explored the conditions on the position and velocity vectors, which can be either fixed or moving, and either linearly dependent or independent. We found that in both cases, the $f$ and $g$ functions satisfy the equation given by (3).
Dustinsfl
I am not sure how to do this one. Nothing I try goes anywhere.

Consider the two-body equation of motion in vector form
$$
\ddot{\mathbf{r}} = -\mu\frac{\mathbf{r}}{r^3}.
$$
Show that the $f$ and $g$ functions defined by
$$
\mathbf{r} = f\mathbf{r}_0 + g\mathbf{v}_0
$$
satisfy
$$
\ddot{f} = -\mu\frac{f}{r^3},\quad \ddot{g} = -\mu\frac{g}{r^3}
$$
for arbitrary $\mathbf{r}_0$ and $\mathbf{v}_0$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What are the conditions on $\mathbf{r}_{0}$ and $\mathbf{v}_{0}$? Are they fixed in time? Moving? Linearly dependent? Linearly independent?

Ackbach said:
What are the conditions on $\mathbf{r}_{0}$ and $\mathbf{v}_{0}$? Are they fixed in time? Moving? Linearly dependent? Linearly independent?

The are arbitrary position and velocity vectors.

dwsmith said:
I am not sure how to do this one. Nothing I try goes anywhere.

Consider the two-body equation of motion in vector form
$$
\ddot{\mathbf{r}} = -\mu\frac{\mathbf{r}}{r^3} \qquad (1)
$$
Show that the $f$ and $g$ functions defined by
$$
\mathbf{r} = f\mathbf{r}_0 + g\mathbf{v}_0 \qquad (2)
$$
satisfy
$$
\ddot{f} = -\mu\frac{f}{r^3},\quad \ddot{g} = -\mu\frac{g}{r^3} \qquad (3)
$$
for arbitrary $\mathbf{r}_0$ and $\mathbf{v}_0$.

I've taken the liberty to number your equations.
Can you take the second derivative of (2)?
And substitute that together with (2) in (1)?
If so, what do you get?

dwsmith said:
The are arbitrary position and velocity vectors.

Are they initial position and velocity vectors? So they are not moving in time?

I like Serena said:
I've taken the liberty to number your equations.
Can you take the second derivative of (2)?
And substitute that together with (2) in (1)?
If so, what do you get?
$$
\ddot{\mathbf{r}} = \ddot{f}\mathbf{r}_0 + \ddot{g}\mathbf{v}_0
$$
This leads to the identity
$$
\ddot{f}\mathbf{r}_0 + \ddot{g}\mathbf{v}_0 = -\mu\frac{\mathbf{r}}{r^3}.
$$
Next, we can plug $\mathbf{r}$ back into our new equation.
\begin{alignat*}{3}
\ddot{f}\mathbf{r}_0 + \ddot{g}\mathbf{v}_0 & = & -\mu\frac{f\mathbf{r}_0 + g\mathbf{v}_0}{r^3}\\
\ddot{f}\mathbf{r}_0 + \ddot{g}\mathbf{v}_0 & = & -\mu\frac{f\mathbf{r}_0}{r^3} - \mu\frac{g\mathbf{v}_0}{r^3}
\end{alignat*}
Can we just split them up at the end? If so, what is the reason for it?

Last edited:
dwsmith said:
$$
$$
$$
$$
\begin{alignat*}{3}
\ddot{f}\mathbf{r}_0 + \ddot{g}\mathbf{v}_0 & = & -\mu\frac{f\mathbf{r}_0 + g\mathbf{v}_0}{r^3}\\
\ddot{f}\mathbf{r}_0 + \ddot{g}\mathbf{v}_0 & = & -\mu\frac{f\mathbf{r}_0}{r^3} - \mu\frac{g\mathbf{v}_0}{r^3}
\end{alignat*}

This is precisely why I asked the questions I did. If $\mathbf{r}_{0}$ and $\mathbf{v}_{0}$ are linearly independent, then this sort of breaking-up is possible. You could try writing them in terms of the regular basis vector and see what happens.

Ackbach said:
This is precisely why I asked the questions I did. If $\mathbf{r}_{0}$ and $\mathbf{v}_{0}$ are linearly independent, then this sort of breaking-up is possible. You could try writing them in terms of the regular basis vector and see what happens.

I can't tell you anymore about r0 and v0 because that is the whole question.

dwsmith said:
$$
$$
$$
$$
\begin{alignat*}{3}
\end{alignat*}

Ackbach said:

There are 2 cases: either they are independent or they are not.

If $\mathbf{r}_{0}$ and $\mathbf{v}_{0}$ are independent you can break them up.
In that case they form a so called basis of the vector space that the object moves around in.
Any vector can be written uniquely as a linear combination of the basis vectors.
On the LHS you have a linear combination of the basis vectors and on the RHS you also have a linear combination of the basis vectors.
In other words, their linear factors must be the same.

If $\mathbf{r}_{0}$ and $\mathbf{v}_{0}$ are dependent, that means they are parallel.
In that case there is no clear distinction between f and g.
You might as well set g for instance to zero and treat $\mathbf{r}_{0}$ as your basis.
The movement of the object is on a line: it moves up and down along the line defined by $\mathbf{r}_{0}$ which is parallel to $\mathbf{v}_{0}$.
An alternative for the choice of f and g is to use the same solution you have for the independent case.
To keep things simple you might as well do that.
In other words, you can also break up the expression.

So in the first case you are forced to, while in the second case you have a free choice to arrive at (3). $\qquad \blacksquare$

Related to Lagrange Coefficients for Two-Body Equation of Motion

1. What are Lagrange coefficients f and g?

Lagrange coefficients f and g are a set of mathematical coefficients used in the Lagrange interpolation formula. They are used to determine the values of a function at intermediate points between known data points.

2. How are Lagrange coefficients f and g calculated?

Lagrange coefficients f and g are calculated using a formula that involves the known data points and the desired intermediate point. The formula involves solving a system of linear equations.

3. What is the purpose of using Lagrange coefficients f and g?

The purpose of using Lagrange coefficients f and g is to estimate the value of a function at a point between known data points. This can be useful in situations where data is missing or to create a smooth curve between data points.

4. Can Lagrange coefficients f and g be used for any type of function?

Yes, Lagrange coefficients f and g can be used for any type of function as long as the known data points are provided and the desired intermediate point falls within the range of the known data points.

5. Are there any limitations to using Lagrange coefficients f and g?

One limitation of using Lagrange coefficients f and g is that they can only be used for interpolating values between known data points. They cannot be used for extrapolation beyond the range of the known data points. Additionally, as the number of known data points increases, the calculation of the Lagrange coefficients becomes more complex and computationally intensive.