Ladder resting against wall - find forces

In summary, the ladder has a weight of 500N and is resting against a frictionless wall at a 60 degree angle with the horizontal. The ground exerts a vertical force of 1300N and two reaction forces at the point where the ladder touches the wall. The sum of all forces and torques is equal to zero. The normal force is mg cos(theta) and the friction force is the normal force multiplied by the coefficient of friction. The position of the firefighter does not affect the calculations.
UrbanXrisis
A 15m ladder weighing 500N rests against a frictionless wall. The ladder makes a 60 degree angle with the horizontal. I need to find the horizontal and vertical force that the ground exerts on the base of the ladder when an 800N firefighter is 4m from the bottom.

the total mg down is 1300N. I don't know why I can't get the answer if I just did mg for the vertical force and mgtan(theta) for the horizontal force? I know this doesn't work.

Physics news on Phys.org
UrbanXrisis said:
A 15m ladder weighing 500N rests against a frictionless wall. The ladder makes a 60 degree angle with the horizontal. I need to find the horizontal and vertical force that the ground exerts on the base of the ladder when an 800N firefighter is 4m from the bottom.

the total mg down is 1300N. I don't know why I can't get the answer if I just did mg for the vertical force and mgtan(theta) for the horizontal force? I know this doesn't work.

Write down all forces along the x and y axis.
There is one reaction force at the point where the ladder touches the wall and two reaction forces at the ground...

Then apply :
1) sum of all forces is zero
2) sum of all torques is zero

good luck

regards
marlon

I understand all of it, just not why my method doesn't work...I'm looking at my book and it shows mg acting downwards... that means the normal force is upward. Force of friction has to equal the force at the wall.

I undersatnd what you're trying to say. I just need more information. Yes, I have everything equal to zero. There's just a mental block I need to get over. I don't understand why mg is not the nornal force. What is the equation for the force of friction and normal force?

When you stand on a ladder leaning on a wall you are applying force both to the floor and the wall. Think about what would happen if you took away the wall, your ladder will slam to the ground. Not all the force of gravity is applied to to the floor, some of it is applied to the wall.

right, so the normal force is mg sin(theta) and the friction force is mg cos(theta)

but that's not it, is it?

I think the normal force is actually mg cos(theta). The friction force is just the normal force times the coefficient of friction.

does the fact that the firefighter is 4 m from the ground make a difference in my calculations?

Related to Ladder resting against wall - find forces

What is the purpose of finding the forces in a ladder resting against a wall?

The purpose of finding the forces in a ladder resting against a wall is to ensure the stability and safety of the ladder. Knowing the forces acting on the ladder can help determine if it is properly positioned and if it can support the weight of the person using it.

What are the main forces acting on a ladder resting against a wall?

The main forces acting on a ladder resting against a wall are the weight of the ladder itself, the weight of the person using it, and the reaction force from the wall. Friction between the ladder and the ground also plays a role in the stability of the ladder.

How can forces be calculated in a ladder resting against a wall?

Forces can be calculated in a ladder resting against a wall using the principles of statics. This involves analyzing the forces acting on the ladder and ensuring that the sum of all forces in the vertical and horizontal directions is equal to zero.

Why is it important to properly distribute weight on a ladder resting against a wall?

Properly distributing weight on a ladder resting against a wall is important for maintaining the stability of the ladder. If too much weight is placed on one side of the ladder, it can cause it to tip over. Distributing weight evenly also reduces the risk of overloading the ladder and causing it to collapse.

What are some safety precautions to keep in mind when using a ladder resting against a wall?

When using a ladder resting against a wall, it is important to make sure it is on a stable and level surface. The ladder should be secured at the top to prevent it from slipping or falling. It is also important to avoid overloading the ladder and to always maintain three points of contact when climbing up or down.