Ladder operators for real scalar field

In summary, the conversation discusses the transformation of a field expansion by putting a minus in front of the momentum. It is shown that this does not lead to the implication that the creation and annihilation operators are equal to each other. The mistake in the conclusion is pointed out, noting that the transformation only involves a change in momentum and not any physical implications.
physichu
Puting a minus in front of the momentum in the field expansion gives

##\phi \left( {\bf{x}} \right) = \int {{d^3}\tilde p} \left( {{a_{\bf{p}}}{e^{i{\bf{p}} \cdot {\bf{x}}}} + a_{\bf{p}}^ + {e^{ - i{\bf{p}} \cdot {\bf{x}}}}} \right){\rm{ }}\phi \left( {\bf{x}} \right) = \int {{d^3}\tilde p} \left( {{a_{ - {\bf{p}}}}{e^{ - i{\bf{p}} \cdot {\bf{x}}}} + a_{ - {\bf{p}}}^ + {e^{i{\bf{p}} \cdot {\bf{x}}}}} \right)##.

Is this implise that

##a_{ - {\bf{p}}}^ + = {a_{{\bf{p}}{\rm{ }}}}## ##{a_{ - {\bf{p}}}} = a_{\bf{p}}^ + ## ?

Becuse if so

##\displaylines{
\pi \left( {\bf{x}} \right) = - i\int {{{{d^3}p} \over {{{\left( {2\pi } \right)}^3}}}\sqrt {{{{\omega _{\bf{p}}}} \over 2}} \left( {{a_{\bf{p}}}{e^{i{\bf{p}} \cdot {\bf{x}}}} - a_{\bf{p}}^ + {e^{ - i{\bf{p}} \cdot {\bf{x}}}}} \right)} = \cr
= - i\int {{{{d^3}p} \over {{{\left( {2\pi } \right)}^3}}}\sqrt {{{{\omega _{\bf{p}}}} \over 2}} \left( {{a_{\bf{p}}}{e^{i{\bf{p}} \cdot {\bf{x}}}} - a_{ - {\bf{p}}}^{}{e^{ - i{\bf{p}} \cdot {\bf{x}}}}} \right) = } \cr
= - i\int {{{{d^3}p} \over {{{\left( {2\pi } \right)}^3}}}\sqrt {{{{\omega _{\bf{p}}}} \over 2}} \left( {{a_{\bf{p}}}{e^{i{\bf{p}} \cdot {\bf{x}}}} - a_{\bf{p}}^{}{e^{i{\bf{p}} \cdot {\bf{x}}}}} \right)} = 0 \cr} ##

Wich is obviosly wrong, Where is the mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
physichu said:
Is this implise that

##a_{ - {\bf{p}}}^ + = {a_{{\bf{p}}{\rm{ }}}}## ##{a_{ - {\bf{p}}}} = a_{\bf{p}}^ + ## ?
No, why should it?
The first term on the left side gets transformed to the first one on the right side, and the second term gets transformed to the second one.
Just a transformation p -> -p, no physics involved in that step. The integral is over the whole space anyway so integration limits don't change.

Related to Ladder operators for real scalar field

1. What are ladder operators for real scalar field?

Ladder operators for real scalar field are mathematical operators used in quantum field theory to describe the creation and annihilation of particles in a system. They are derived from the Hamiltonian of the system and are used to manipulate the energy levels of the system.

2. How do ladder operators work?

Ladder operators work by acting on the quantum field, which represents the state of a particle in a given position. The creation operator increases the energy of the particle by one unit, while the annihilation operator decreases it by one unit. These operators are used to create and annihilate particles in a system.

3. What is the significance of ladder operators in quantum field theory?

Ladder operators are significant in quantum field theory because they allow us to analyze the properties of a system in terms of its energy levels. They also play a crucial role in the formulation of quantum field theories such as the Standard Model, which describes the interactions between elementary particles.

4. Can ladder operators be applied to other types of fields?

Yes, ladder operators can be applied to other types of fields, such as vector and spinor fields. In these cases, the operators may have different properties and may not necessarily represent the creation and annihilation of particles. However, they still play a crucial role in the description of these fields and their interactions.

5. Are there any practical applications for ladder operators?

Ladder operators have practical applications in areas such as condensed matter physics, where they are used to describe the behavior of particles in a solid state. They are also used in quantum computing, where they can be used to manipulate quantum states and perform operations on qubits.