Ladder Operators acting upon N Ket

In summary, the ladder operators a_{+}, a_{-} change the energy of the state from n to n+1 or lower n to n-1. The energy changes the state, so the states must also change.
Godmar02
I can't seem to find information regarding this anywhere.

I understand why when the ladder operators act upon an energy eigenstate of energy E it produces another eigenstate of energy E [tex]\mp\hbar \omega[/tex]. What I don't understand is why the following is true:

[tex]\ a \left| \psi _n \right\rangle &= \sqrt{n} \left| \psi _{n-1} \right\rangle [/tex]
[tex]\ a^{\dagger} \left| \psi _n \right\rangle &= \sqrt{n+1} \left| \psi _{n+1} \right\rangle [/tex]

I don't really even know what [tex] \left| \psi _n \right\rangle[/tex] represents, though I think it is something to do with the state of a system. How can you derive the above property?

I am a bit of a beginner to SHO in quantum theory.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am sure I am missing something simple. Thanks

[tex]\psi_n[/tex] is a stationary state of the harmonic oscillator with energy [tex]E = (n+1/2)\hbar \omega[/tex]

Ladder operators [tex]a_{+}, a_{-}[/tex] raise the energy of the state from n to n+1 or lower n to n-1.

Since the energy changes the state must change as well since the state is characterized by its energy. If you raise the energy by n+1 you raise the state to [tex]\psi_{n+1}[/tex]

So you can sort of see that if a ladder operator acts on a stationary wave function in state n it will raise the state to n+1 by some proportionality constant:

[tex]\ a_+ \left| \psi _n \right\rangle \alpha \left| \psi _{n+1} \right\rangle[/tex]

The two are proportional. Mathematically you can show the proportionality constants are [tex]\sqrt{n+1} and \sqrt{n}[/tex] respectively.

So would I be right in saying that this works because any constant multiple of an eigenstate must also be an eigenstate.
i.e. if the constant of proportionality is beta then this works because

[tex]H (a^\dagger \left| \psi _n \right\rangle) = (E + \hbar\omega) (a^\dagger \left| \psi _n\right\rangle)[/tex]
[tex]\beta \ H \left| \psi _{n+1} \right\rangle = \beta (E + \hbar\omega) \left| \psi _{n+1} \right\rangle[/tex]

To find beta would I then have to take the modulus squared of [tex]
\ a_+ \left| \psi _n \right\rangle
[/tex] and set it to be equal to 1(normalising it). If that is correct what do I use for [tex]
\left| \psi _n \right\rangle
[/tex] ?

Sorry if I have misunderstood you.

Have you shown that the energies of the states are given by [tex]E_n = (n+1/2)\hbar\omega[/tex] and that the Hamitonian can be written as [tex]H=\hbar\omega(a^\dagger a+1/2)[/tex]?

The eigenstates [tex]|\psi_n>[/tex] are assumed to be normalized so that [tex]<\psi_n|\psi_n>=1[/tex]. With a little fiddling, you can calculate what [tex]a|\psi_n>[/tex] and [tex]a^\dagger|\psi_n>[/tex] are.

yes I have. I think I understand

If I write [tex]
H=\hbar\omega(a^\dagger a\ +1/2) \
or \ H= \hbar\omega(aa^\dagger\ -1/2)
[/tex]

And then act upon an eigenvector [tex]
|\psi_n>
[/tex], which returns [tex]
E_n = (n+1/2)\hbar\omega
|\psi_n>[/tex]

I can show that
[tex]
aa^\dagger|\psi_n>=n|\psi_n>[/tex]
and
[tex]
a^\dagger a|\psi_n>=(n+1)|\psi_n>[/tex]

I know that the identities solve this but I cannot prove it from here, since the constants of proportionality are functions of n. What can I do?

Try calculate the norms of [itex]a\left|\psi_n\right>[/itex] and [itex]a^\dagger\left|\psi_n\right>[/itex].

ahhhhhh you legend. Makes so much sense now, sorry for being a bit dense. Thanks so much!

Related to Ladder Operators acting upon N Ket

What is a ladder operator?

A ladder operator is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to shift the energy states of a quantum system. It is represented by operators that act on wavefunctions and are used to find the energy eigenstates of a system.

How do ladder operators act upon a wavefunction?

Ladder operators act upon a wavefunction by shifting its energy state by a fixed amount. The raising operator increases the energy state while the lowering operator decreases it. This process is repeated until the desired energy state is reached.

What is the relationship between ladder operators and quantum states?

Ladder operators are closely related to quantum states, as they are used to find the energy eigenstates of a system. They also follow specific commutation rules with the Hamiltonian operator, which represents the total energy of a system.

How are ladder operators useful in quantum mechanics?

Ladder operators are useful in quantum mechanics because they provide a systematic way to find the energy eigenstates of a system. They also help in understanding the quantization of energy levels and determining transition probabilities between energy states.

Can ladder operators be applied to any quantum system?

Yes, ladder operators can be applied to any quantum system as long as it follows the principles of quantum mechanics. They are commonly used in systems such as the harmonic oscillator, angular momentum, and the hydrogen atom.