Ladder of mass M and length L, find kinetic energy in terms

In summary, the problem involves a ladder of length L and mass M leaning against a wall and sliding down until it makes contact with the wall. The problem requires finding the kinetic energy of the ladder in terms of its angular velocity θ' and its derivative θ in order to calculate the total kinetic energy of the ladder. This can be done by dividing the ladder into infinitesimal slices and finding the kinetic energy of each slice, then summing them together. The final expression for the kinetic energy of the ladder is 1/6 * ML^2 * (θ')^2.
amiras

Homework Statement

A ladder of length L and mass M leaning against a wall. Assuming the wall and the floor are frictionless, the ladder will slide down the wall and along the floor intl the left end closes contact with the wall. Before the ladder loses contact with the wall there is one degree of freedom θ. Express the knetic energy of the ladder in terms of θ and θ' (derivative of θ).

Homework Equations

dm = M/L ds

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the problem should be solved combining the kinetic energy of rotation (sliding) of the ladder + the ladder displacing horizontally.

Dividing the ladder into infinitesimal slices of ds, each of it has its kinetic energy.
I first try to calculate the kinetic energy of the rotation about the axis (like it would not move).

Each part of ladder moves with velocity of v_i= θ'*s_i

where s_i is the distance from the origin to the slice of i'th slice, θ' - angular velocity.

Now summing those kinetic energies of each slice:

1/2 Ʃm_i*(v_i)^2 → 1/2 ∫[from 0 to L] M/L ds * (θ'*s_i)^2 = M/2L *(θ')^2 ∫s^2 ds =
M(θ')^2/(2L) * L^3/3 = 1/6 * ML^2 (θ')^2 The second part is to calculate kinetic energy of the ladder only assuming that it moves away from the wall with no rotation. However I could not find the solution yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can find the whole KE of the ladder by squaring the velocity of all slices and integrating. The components of velocity are the time derivatives of the coordinates. Write out the coordinates in terms of theta and the distance from one end of the ladder, and differentiate: vx=[itex]\dot{x}[/itex] and vy=[itex]\dot{y}[/itex]. You will find that the KE of the ladder is the same expression you have got: 1/2 (mL2/3) (θ')2. There is no other term.

ehild

Related to Ladder of mass M and length L, find kinetic energy in terms

1. What is the formula for calculating the kinetic energy of a ladder?

The formula for calculating the kinetic energy of a ladder is KE = 1/2 * M * V^2, where M is the mass of the ladder and V is the velocity of the ladder.

2. How do I determine the mass and length of the ladder?

The mass and length of the ladder can be determined by using a scale to weigh the ladder and measuring its length with a measuring tape or ruler.

3. Can I use the same formula for different sizes of ladders?

Yes, the formula for calculating kinetic energy can be used for any size of ladder as long as the mass and velocity are known.

4. How does the length of the ladder affect its kinetic energy?

The length of the ladder does not directly affect its kinetic energy. However, a longer ladder may have a higher mass, which would increase its kinetic energy.

5. Is there a limit to the kinetic energy a ladder can have?

Yes, the kinetic energy of a ladder is limited by its mass and velocity. As the mass and velocity increase, so does the kinetic energy, but there is a physical limit to how much energy the ladder can have.