Ladder leaned against a wall; forces

In summary: The ground is rough (getting at friction), and the wall is frictionless. The force diagram shows the forces acting on the ladder, and the unknown force (the '?') is determined to be the torque due to FNwall.
kffd

Homework Statement

There is a 5m ladder leaned against a wall, making an angle of θ with the ground. The ground is rough (getting at friction), and the wall is frictionless. Here's an ASCII attempt:

|\
|..\
|...\5
|...\
|...θ\

We want to make a force diagram for the ladder, then find the value of the forces acting on it.

Dealing purely with variables aside from the 5m length.

Homework Equations

Sum of F = ma
Torque = F x l

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm fine with the force diagram, I think. You've got gravity downwards, the force of friction to the left, some normal force upwards, and some normal force by the wall directly to the right.

As for what they are...

Force of gravity = mg
FNfloor = mg?
Ff = ?
FNwall = ?
Ff = FNwall

I think FNfloor = mg, and Ff = FNwall, because this is an instance of static equilibrium, so sum of F = 0. Is that correct? And how do I account for torque?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the torque, pick any convenient point and calculate the moments about it.

Ok, I'll pick the bottom of the ladder, where it meets the ground.

For force of g: T = mg x 2.5cos θ
For force of FNwall: T = ? x 5cos θ
For the other two forces, T = 0

I'm not sure where that brings me, though.

kffd said:
Ok, I'll pick the bottom of the ladder, where it meets the ground.

For force of g: T = mg x 2.5cos θ
For force of FNwall: T = ? x 5cos θ
Not quite. Try that second one again. And pick a consistent direction for positive torque. And you already have a name for the unknown (the '?').
For the other two forces, T = 0

I'm not sure where that brings me, though.
Is there any rotational acceleration?

haruspex said:
Not quite. Try that second one again. And pick a consistent direction for positive torque. And you already have a name for the unknown (the '?').

Is there any rotational acceleration?

Another go for FNwall: 5sin θ x Ff

Here's a diagram to help explain what I'm not getting:

||\
||..\
||...\-->
||...\
v|...θ\

Vertical arrow is what I now think torque for FNwall should be, 5sin θ x Ff. Horizontal is torque for g. Is that correct? If so, is one positive and the other negative? I just don't get that, but that's what I'm led to think given your advice.

EDIT: No rotational acceleration.

Last edited:
kffd said:
Another go for FNwall: 5sin θ x Ff

Here's a diagram to help explain what I'm not getting:

||\
||..\
||...\-->
||...\
v|...θ\

Vertical arrow is what I now think torque for FNwall should be, 5sin θ x Ff. Horizontal is torque for g. Is that correct?
No, a torque is neither horizontal nor vertical. In the present case it is clockwise or counterclockwise.
The force FNWall is clearly horizontal, but what is the distance from its line of action to the base of the ladder? Is it 5 cos θ, 5 sin θ, 2.5 cos θ or 2.5 sin θ? Does its torque act clockwise?

haruspex said:
No, a torque is neither horizontal nor vertical. In the present case it is clockwise or counterclockwise.
The force FNWall is clearly horizontal, but what is the distance from its line of action to the base of the ladder? Is it 5 cos θ, 5 sin θ, 2.5 cos θ or 2.5 sin θ? Does its torque act clockwise?

Ok, good news is I knew that about torque, at least. That's what I didn't understand, how a "torque" could work if it were simply a line. (We have only discussed it as clockwise/counterclockwise.)

|\-LOA->
|..\...|
|...\...|
|...\.|
|...θ\

I think that is the line of action, and the vertical is what I'm trying to find, so I'm going to say 5sinθ is the answer. (Whoops, that's actually what I meant last time, but I'm still not positive whether it's correct.) I don't think it's 2.5 anything because the force is not applied to the ladder's center of gravity.

I think that moment (I think it's a moment) acts clockwise. If I made the LOA a tangent line to a circle, it would "point" in the clockwise direction, which is my rationale. It would follow that the moment caused by Fg is counterclockwise.

Last edited:
It looks good, so what is the net torque then?

ehild

Well, net torque must be 0 if it's in equilibrium. So,
mg 2.5cosθ - 5sinθ Ff = 0

I used a minus just to indicate that one direction is negative. (I arbitrarily picked clockwise.)

Going off of that:
mg 2.5cosθ = 5sinθ Ff
Ff = (mg 2.5cosθ)/(5sinθ)
Ff = FNwall, so
FNwall = (mg 2.5cosθ)/(5sinθ)

Did I bring it home?

Last edited:
kffd said:
Well, net torque must be 0 if it's in equilibrium. So,
mg 2.5cosθ - 5sinθ Ff = 0

I used a minus just to indicate that one direction is negative. (I arbitrarily picked clockwise.)

Going off of that:
mg 2.5cosθ = 5sinθ Ff
Ff = (mg 2.5cosθ)/(5sinθ)
Ff = FNwall, so
FNwall = (mg 2.5cosθ)/(5sinθ)

Did I bring it home?

Ok so far, but you can simplify it.

ehild

= 0.5 mg cotθ

I think that's all. Thanks a lot, ehild and haruspex; I've been out of school sick recently, going through this problem with me really did help me catch up. Once I'm a bit more learned when it comes to physics, I'll do my diligence to help out some other people on here, too. :)

Nice plans! Go ahead.:smile:

ehild

Related to Ladder leaned against a wall; forces

1. What are the forces acting on a ladder leaned against a wall?

The two main forces acting on a ladder leaned against a wall are the weight of the ladder and the reaction force from the wall. There may also be additional forces from any objects or people on the ladder, as well as frictional forces.

2. How does the angle of the ladder affect the forces acting on it?

The angle of the ladder affects the distribution of the forces acting on it. As the angle increases, the weight of the ladder becomes more perpendicular to the wall, resulting in a larger reaction force from the wall. This can make the ladder more stable, but also increases the force on the wall.

3. What is the maximum angle at which a ladder can be leaned against a wall?

The maximum angle for a ladder leaned against a wall depends on the coefficient of friction between the ladder and the ground, as well as the weight and length of the ladder. Generally, a steeper angle will result in a larger reaction force from the wall, making the ladder more stable. However, if the frictional force is not large enough, the ladder may slip.

4. How does the weight of the ladder affect its stability?

The weight of the ladder affects its stability by increasing the reaction force from the wall. A heavier ladder will have a larger downward force, resulting in a larger reaction force from the wall. This can make the ladder more stable, but also puts more stress on the wall.

5. What are some safety precautions to take when using a ladder leaned against a wall?

Some safety precautions to take when using a ladder leaned against a wall include making sure the ladder is on a stable and level surface, using a ladder with the appropriate weight capacity, and having someone hold the base of the ladder for stability. It is also important to avoid overreaching or leaning the ladder too far to one side, and always maintain three points of contact with the ladder while climbing.