Ladder in static equilibrium

In summary: Thank you again for your help. I feel much better knowing I can get through this question with a little help from you all.
penroseandpaper
Homework Statement
A ladder of length 'L' is leant against a wall, making an angle of 'a' with the horizontal. There are five forces acting on it (normal from floor, friction from floor, weight in centre of ladder, normal off wall and friction on wall), and the coefficient of static friction is 0.6 at both points.

The ladder is in mechanical equilibrium and axis of rotation is at the centre of mass, thus write down the components of the forces that act as torques, state which way the resultant torque acts (into or out of the screen) and calculate the smallest angle for which the ladder won't slide.
Relevant Equations
No net force
No net torque

Torque = r × F
Hi everyone,

I'm studying an introductory physics course at college, but our teacher is off sick. On top of that, a planned strike means we won't be getting a new science tutor until the start of next month - instead, we've been told to read the textbook and answer the questions. I've got up to torques and have now hit a brick wall. I was wondering if you'd be kind enough to provide me a few pointers on a practice question to which I don't have a solution to or an answer?

Firstly, a few overall questions:

•Am I right in thinking there are 4 torques at play - a component of all forces, minus weight?

•When I'm resolving them, do I make the ladder equivalent to the X axis? Does this mean all the torques are represented by L × Force × sin 'a' (I've attached an image of my sketch to this effect)?

•Does the resultant torque make the ladder come away from the wall rather than sliding down it? If it falls backwards, the torque would act out of the screen - I believe.

•How do we determine which torques are positive and which are negative - on my sketch, it would only be the friction on the floor that is negative?

Second, is my sketch of resolving the forces correct? I wasn't sure if I'm right to assume those angles are also 'a', although the wall ones has to be due to the right angle between the forces and straight line equalling 180°. Or whether that's how you go about it when the lever arm is at an angle.

I haven't got to the angle bit yet, so shall refrain from questions for now.

Thank you very much for your assistance,
Penn

Attachments

• IMG_20191115_195731.jpg
    IMG_20191115_195731.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_20191115_195751.jpg
    IMG_20191115_195751.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 134
Physics news on Phys.org
penroseandpaper said:
there are 4 torques at play
Yes.
penroseandpaper said:
do I make the ladder equivalent to the X axis?
Your choice, but I wouid not do that here since all four forces you are asked to discriminate are vertical or horizontal.
penroseandpaper said:
Does the resultant torque make the ladder come away from the wall rather than sliding down it?
It is static, so the net force and net torque are zero.
penroseandpaper said:
How do we determine which torques are positive and which are negative
I don't know which sense you are taking as positive.
(I note that you have the wall on the right; I would have drawn it on the y axis.)
Can you not just look at each force in turn, imagine the ladder on an axle at its centre and figure out which way the force wouid tend to rotate the ladder?
penroseandpaper said:
wasn't sure if I'm right to assume those angles are also 'a',
No. You have misled yourself by drawing it with an angle close to 45 degrees. Try a more general position.

The ladder is static, so you can say any point is the axis of rotation (because, after all, it isn’t rotating about any point). If you choose a different point you can work with fewer torques.

As to the sign of the torques, the sign is determined by which way the torque is trying to spin the ladder about the selected axis: clockwise vs counterclockwise. You can choose either direction as positive if you are consistent.

1. What is meant by "static equilibrium" in the context of a ladder?

Static equilibrium refers to a state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced and the object is not moving. In the case of a ladder, this means that the forces acting on the ladder are equal and opposite, resulting in the ladder being in a stable and unmoving position.

2. How does the weight distribution of a person on a ladder affect its equilibrium?

The weight of a person on a ladder plays a significant role in maintaining the ladder's equilibrium. If the person's weight is not evenly distributed between the two sides of the ladder, it can cause the ladder to tilt or even tip over. It is important for the person to stand in the center of the ladder and distribute their weight evenly to maintain equilibrium.

3. What role do friction and the surface the ladder is resting on play in maintaining equilibrium?

Friction between the ladder and the surface it is resting on is essential for maintaining equilibrium. Without friction, the ladder could easily slip or slide, causing it to lose balance. The surface the ladder is resting on should also be stable and level to prevent any unintended movement or shifting of the ladder.

4. How does the angle of the ladder affect its equilibrium?

The angle of the ladder is crucial in maintaining equilibrium. If the angle is too steep, it can put too much stress on the ladder and cause it to collapse. On the other hand, if the angle is too shallow, the ladder may not provide enough stability and could easily tip over. It is important to follow the manufacturer's recommended angle for safe use of the ladder.

5. What are some common safety measures to take when using a ladder in static equilibrium?

Some common safety measures to take when using a ladder in static equilibrium include checking the stability of the surface the ladder is resting on, making sure the ladder is secure and not wobbly, keeping the ladder away from power lines or other hazards, and using proper techniques for climbing and descending the ladder. It is also important to never exceed the weight limit of the ladder and to always have someone hold the ladder steady while in use.