Lab report (photelectric effect to determine Planck's constant)

In summary, the conversation is about an experiment on the photoelectric effect and determining Planck's constant experimentally. The individual is trying to determine the effect of reverse current on the stopping voltage. They speculate that the stopping voltage is still taken to be where the graph levels off horizontally, regardless of the reverse current. However, without knowing the experimental details and seeing the results, it is difficult to comment accurately. The individual suggests measuring the device's intrinsic I-V curve to determine the true photocurrent values. They also clarify that the stopping voltage is ideally the smallest negative voltage that makes current exactly zero, and not where the graph levels off horizontally.
silverthorne

Homework Statement

This isn't really a textbook or a homework problem...rather it is a question I have in trying to write up my lab report.

I am doing an experiment about the photoelectric effect in trying to determine Planck's constant h experimentally...and basically I am shining various values of light through different filters...and measuring the stopping voltage, then using that to find the value of h.

I have plotted the photocurrent as a function of the voltage...and it goes lower and lower as the voltage is increased until it just levels off horizontally starting at some threshold voltage. I took this threshold voltage as the stopping potential. Now my question is what is the effect of the "reverse current" here? How does it affect the determination of the stopping voltage? The current here actually drops below 0...what does it mean?

Homework Equations

maximum KE of electron = hf - W

h is Planck's constant, f is the frequency of the incident light, W is the work function of the particular metal.

total photocurrent I = Ir + If

Ir is the reverse current and If is the forward current

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the stopping voltage is still taken to be where the graph levels off horizontally...regardless of the Ir...that's my guess...

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I’m answering this 15+ year old post in case the answer is of use to someone.

Without knowing the experimental details and seeing the results/graph, it is difficult to comment. However...

If you are using a typical vacuum photocell, the current should be one-way only. There should be no ‘reverse current’.

But if you are using a solid-state device (e.g. an LDR) the reverse conductance might be significant and can give you a ‘reverse current’.

In this case, you could measure the device's intrinsic I-V curve with the device covered (no light at all) and then use the data to deteemine the true photocurrent values: for a given voltage:
photocurrent = measured total current - intrinsic current

Note, it is incorrect to say that the stopping voltage is the voltage ‘where the graph levels off horizontally’, because the graph also levels off where saturation (maximum current) occurs.

The stopping voltage is (ideally) the smallest negative voltage which makes current exactly zero. It is V ₀ on the graph here:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...asurement_apparatus_-_microscopic_picture.svg

Likes Delta2

Related to Lab report (photelectric effect to determine Planck's constant)

1. What is a lab report?

A lab report is a document that summarizes and explains the results of a scientific experiment. It typically includes the purpose of the experiment, methods used, data collected, analysis of the data, and conclusions drawn from the experiment.

2. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon where electrons are emitted from a metal surface when it is exposed to light. This effect was first observed by Heinrich Hertz in 1887 and was later explained by Albert Einstein in 1905 through his theory of the quantization of light.

3. How is the photoelectric effect used to determine Planck's constant?

In the photoelectric effect, the energy of the emitted electrons is directly proportional to the frequency of the incident light. By measuring the current of the emitted electrons at different frequencies of light, the relationship between energy and frequency can be determined. This relationship is described by Planck's constant, which can then be calculated from the data collected.

4. What is Planck's constant?

Planck's constant, denoted by the symbol h, is a fundamental constant of nature that relates the energy of a photon to its frequency. It is a key component of quantum mechanics and plays a role in many areas of physics, including the photoelectric effect, atomic and molecular spectroscopy, and the behavior of blackbodies.

5. Why is determining Planck's constant important?

Knowing the value of Planck's constant is crucial for understanding the behavior of light and matter at the atomic and subatomic level. It helps to explain various phenomena, such as the photoelectric effect, and is essential for many modern technologies, including solar panels, LEDs, and computer chips. Additionally, Planck's constant is a fundamental constant that can help to unify different areas of physics and deepen our understanding of the universe.