Find Easy-to-Use Math Programs to Simplify Your Calculations

In summary, the conversation is about finding a math program that can help organize digits and perform calculations. Warren suggests writing a simple program in any language of choice. Dan mentions using Microsoft Excel and expresses interest in learning a programming language. Warren suggests MATLAB, but it's not free, and Dan brings up the option of using Octave. They discuss the limitations of C++ and BASIC for math-related tasks and Warren suggests C++ as a more useful language.
carterw
Hi All,

Does Anyone know of any Math programs that are easy to use that I can download from the net.
What I am trying to do is organize a long string of digits in groups of three, add the groups, and subtract from each running total certain incremental values.

Thanks in Advance.

Dan

Computer science news on Phys.org
Most sophisticated math software is not free.

From the sound of it, you should be able to write a simple program in the language of your choice to do what you need to do, without having to use any pre-existing software.

- Warren

Thanks Warren,

I was able to do some significant things with microsoft Excel.
I am not very familiar with programming languages but would like to begin study. Would you have any suggestions as to the language that can be learned the fastest that can also handle math well?

Dan

Well, MATLAB comes to mind -- but it's not free.

- Warren

Hi Warren,

I heard that "Octave" is also free software and is also useful. I even have all the files unzipped in a folder. But it looks like a daunting task to learn how to install this.

Also. To learn a language like C++ or Basic; What kind of limitations might these have.

I am looking at writing a program that will search a broad spectrum of irrational numbers (roots of integers from zero up) - for certain patterns.
For example the string of the 2187th root of 2368 displays remarkable properties that I would like to investigate. But I need to determine to what extend these patterns are due to random distribution.

What kind of a language do you think would be adequate, and one in which I should invest time in learning?

Thanks,
Dan

Well, neither C++ nor BASIC provide any actual math-related features; you'll have to code algorithms by hand. C++ is a much, much more useful language than is BASIC, so, on that merit alone, I suggest C++.

- Warren

What are some examples of easy-to-use math programs?

Some examples of easy-to-use math programs include Microsoft Excel, Wolfram Alpha, and Desmos.

How can I simplify my calculations using math programs?

Math programs have built-in functions and formulas that can perform complex calculations quickly and accurately. They also have user-friendly interfaces that make it easy to input data and view results.

Do I need to have advanced math skills to use these programs?

While some math programs are designed for advanced users, there are also many programs that are suitable for all levels of math proficiency. It's important to research and choose a program that matches your skill level.

Are there any free math programs available?

Yes, there are many free math programs available online, such as GeoGebra, GNU Octave, and SAGE. It's important to note that some free programs may have limited features compared to paid versions.

Can math programs be used for educational purposes?

Yes, many math programs are specifically designed for educational purposes and can be used by students and teachers alike. These programs often have interactive features and tutorials to help users learn and understand mathematical concepts.