L2 norm for complex valued vector

In summary, to find the L2 norm of a vector, you take the conjugate transpose and multiply it by the original vector, then take the square root of the result. In this case, the result is sqrt(16+4+1+1).
ericm1234
Let's say I have a vector (4+2i, 1-i), how do I take an L2 norm?
Dont tell me I simply do sqrt(16+4+1+1)..?

Physics news on Phys.org
ericm1234 said:
Let's say I have a vector (4+2i, 1-i), how do I take an L2 norm?
Dont tell me I simply do sqrt(16+4+1+1)..?
The short answer is yes, you simply do sqrt(16+4+1+1). Here is why:

The L2 norm of a vector [itex]v[/itex] is [itex]\sqrt{v^* v}[/itex], where [itex]v^*[/itex] is the conjugate transpose. In your case,
$$v = \left[\begin{matrix} 4 + 2i \\ 1 - i \end{matrix}\right]$$
so
$$v^* = \left[\begin{matrix} 4 - 2i & 1 + i \end{matrix}\right]$$
and
$$v^* v = \left[\begin{matrix} 4 - 2i & 1 + i \end{matrix}\right] \left[\begin{matrix} 4 + 2i \\ 1 - i \end{matrix}\right] = (4-2i)(4+2i) + (1+i)(1-i) = 16 + 4 + 1 + 1$$
and therefore
$$||v||_2 = \sqrt{v^H v} = \sqrt{16 + 4 + 1 + 1}$$

Last edited:

Related to L2 norm for complex valued vector

1. What is the L2 norm for complex valued vector?

The L2 norm for complex valued vector is a mathematical concept used to measure the length or magnitude of a complex vector in a vector space. It is also known as the Euclidean norm and is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squared absolute values of the vector's components.

2. How is the L2 norm for complex valued vector different from the L2 norm for real valued vector?

The L2 norm for complex valued vector is similar to the L2 norm for real valued vector in that they both measure the length or magnitude of a vector. However, the L2 norm for complex valued vector takes into account the imaginary components of the vector, while the L2 norm for real valued vector only considers the real components.

3. What is the significance of the L2 norm for complex valued vector in scientific research?

The L2 norm for complex valued vector is commonly used in scientific research, particularly in fields such as signal processing, machine learning, and complex analysis. It is used to measure the similarity between two complex vectors and is often used in optimization problems to minimize the error between a predicted and actual complex vector.

4. Can the L2 norm for complex valued vector have a value of 0?

Yes, the L2 norm for complex valued vector can have a value of 0 if all the components of the vector are also equal to 0. This means that the vector has no magnitude and is considered a zero vector.

5. Are there any alternative ways to calculate the L2 norm for complex valued vector?

Yes, there are alternative ways to calculate the L2 norm for complex valued vector, such as using the dot product or inner product of the vector with itself. These alternative methods yield the same result as the traditional method of taking the square root of the sum of squared absolute values of the vector's components.