L1 Lagrangian Point: SOHO & ACE Time + Human Mission Possibility

In summary, the conversation discusses the length of time it takes for spacecraft SOHO and ACE to reach the L1 lagrangian point, the possibility of human space flight servicing missions, and the challenges and costs associated with making spacecraft human serviceable. It is mentioned that unmanned spacecraft are generally cheaper and more efficient than manned missions. The conversation also touches on the topic of radiation shielding for astronauts in orbit.
hhhmortal
Does anyone know how long SOHO and ACE took to get to the L1 lagrangian point. It is in average 1.496 million km away, I am wondering how fast a human space flight servicing mission would take. Also if it is possible to send it for a long mission seeing that the radiation dosage increases and temperature of spacecraft increases too.

Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Not sure how long it took, but I do know that none of the recent spacecraft are designed to be human serviceable and if they break then they will be retired. Having a spacecraft that uses or requires human serviceablity (i.e. Hubble) turned into something of a nightmare, which most people would rather avoid. It turns out that for the same cost of making something human serviceable you can build several non-serviceable spacecraft .

They are cheaper to replace than service. We can barely make it to the moon with manned craft.

Exactly what I thought. In essence sending a unmanned spacecraft will certainly be cheaper than a servicing mission, but does this mean we should never send Astronauts to space. The ACE is due for retirement on 2024. Could it ever be viable to go to the L1 point assuming the cost of launching into orbit is significantly reduced. I'd like to think that astronauts can do a more efficient job than just the robotics in an unmanned space craft.

Could anyone tell me what the space shuttle radiation shielding is? And how much dosage of radiation per sec or day do astronauts receive in orbit?

Thanks very much.

Related to L1 Lagrangian Point: SOHO & ACE Time + Human Mission Possibility

1. What is the L1 Lagrangian Point?

The L1 Lagrangian Point is a location in space where the gravitational pull of two celestial bodies, such as the Earth and the Sun, is equal and opposite. This allows objects to maintain a stable position relative to the two bodies without requiring a lot of energy.

2. What is the significance of SOHO and ACE in relation to the L1 Lagrangian Point?

SOHO (Solar and Heliospheric Observatory) and ACE (Advanced Composition Explorer) are two spacecraft that are currently positioned at the L1 Lagrangian Point. They are used for monitoring the Sun and studying the solar wind and its effects on Earth.

3. How do SOHO and ACE maintain their position at the L1 Lagrangian Point?

SOHO and ACE use small thrusters to make small adjustments to their position to counteract any disturbances from the Sun or other celestial bodies. This allows them to stay in a relatively stable position at the L1 point.

4. Is it possible for humans to visit the L1 Lagrangian Point?

Yes, it is possible for humans to visit the L1 Lagrangian Point. However, it would require a significant amount of resources and technology to safely travel and stay at this point in space.

5. What are the benefits of a human mission to the L1 Lagrangian Point?

A human mission to the L1 Lagrangian Point would allow for further exploration and research of this unique location in space. It could also potentially lead to advancements in technology and understanding of the effects of space on the human body. Additionally, it could pave the way for future missions to other Lagrangian points in our solar system.