L-Hospital's Rule: Limit Calculation

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
In summary: Now, it looks like you are trying to prove this identity. But you can't prove a definition.If you have the definition of the natural exponential function:f(x)=a^xThen, you have:\ln(f(x))=x\ln(a)Now, take the limit as $x\to\infty$:\lim_{x\to\infty}\ln(f(x))=\lim_{x\to\infty}x\ln(a)\lim_{x\to\infty}f(x)=\lim_{x\to\infty}a^xTherefore, we have shown that:\lim_{x\to\in
karush
Gold Member
MHB
L-Hopital's rule

$\tiny{4b}$
$$\displaystyle
\begin{align}
L_{4b}&
=\lim_{{x}\to{\infty}}\left(\frac{5x+3}{5x-1}\right)^{2 x}
=e^{\frac{8}{5}}\\
\textbf{steps} \\
\ln\left({L}\right)
& =\lim_{{x}\to{\infty}}(2x)\ln\left[{\frac{5x+3}{5x-1}}\right]
=\lim_{{x}\to{\infty}} \frac{2\ln{(5x+3)}-2\ln{(5x-1)}}{{x}^{-1}} \\
\end{align} \\
\textbf{next?}$$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What prevents you from applying L'Hopital's rule again?

Re: L-Hopital's rule

$\tiny{4b}$
$$\displaystyle
\begin{align}%-----------------------------------------------------
L_{4b}&
=\lim_{{x}\to{\infty}}\left(\frac{5x+3}{5x-1}\right)^{2 x}
=e^{\frac{8}{5}}\\
\textit{Multiply both sides by $\ln\left({x}\right)$} \\
\ln\left({L_{4b}}\right)
& =\lim_{{x}\to{\infty}}(2x)\ln\left[{\frac{5x+3}{5x-1}}\right]
=\lim_{{x}\to{\infty}} \frac{2\ln{(5x+3)}-2\ln{(5x-1)}}{{x}^{-1}} \\
\textit{L'Hopital's Rule} \\
\ln'\left({L_{4b}}\right)&=\lim_{{x}\to{\infty}}\frac{40{x}^{2}}{(5x-1)(5x+3)}
=\lim_{{x}\to{\infty}}\left[\frac{18}{5(5x-1)}+\frac{2}{5(5x-1)}+\frac{8}{5}\right] \\
\textit{${x}\to{\infty}$} \\
\ln\left({L_{4b}}\right)& =\frac{8}{5} \\
\textit{e both sides} \\
e^{\ln\left({L_{4b}}\right)}& =L_{4b}=e^{\frac{8}{5}}
\end{align} \\ %---------------------------------------------------
$$
$\text{suggestions?}$

Last edited:
Multiply both sides by ln(x)? Don't you mean take the natural log of both sides?

When you reach

$$\lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{40x^2}{(5x-1)(5x+3)}$$

expand the denominator and take the limit. ;)

$$\frac{40}{25}=\frac85$$

Assuming we don't have to use L'Hopital's rule and that we're given the identity

$$\lim_{x\to\infty}\left(1+\frac ax\right)^x=e^a$$

we may proceed as follows:

$$\lim_{x\to\infty}\left(\frac{5x+3}{5x-1}\right)^{2x}=\lim_{x\to\infty}\left(1+\frac{4}{5x-1}\right)^{2x}$$

$$u=5x-1,\quad x=\frac{u+1}{5}$$

$$\lim_{u\to\infty}\left(1+\frac4u\right)^{2(u+1)/5}=\left(\lim_{u\to\infty}\left(1+\frac4u\right)^{u+1}\right)^{2/5}$$

$$=\left(e^4\right)^{2/5}=e^{8/5}$$

Mega Mahalo..

I didn't know about the identity

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to\infty}\left(1+\frac ax\right)^x=e^a\)

The worksheet said the answer was $e^{20}$ ?

karush, in post #3 your formulas extend past the right edge of my window. It's better to start them further to the left by not having text like "Multiply both sides..." left of the = sign or by breaking the align environment into several parts.

karush said:
I didn't know about the identity

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to\infty}\left(1+\frac ax\right)^x=e^a\)

The worksheet said the answer was $e^{20}$ ?
The answer to what: the problem in post #1? Then why did you write from the start that the answer was $e^{8/5}$ even before you knew how to finish the solution? Or do you mean the answer to \(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to\infty}\left(1+\frac ax\right)^x\)? Then how can this be if this formula uses an unknown $a$?

I generally always post the answer in the OP, mostly the book answer or from the TI Nspire CAS. the handout example gave $e^{20}$
$a$ can be determined from the given as was shown

Sorry, I don't understand what you are saying.

karush said:
I generally always post the answer in the OP, mostly the book answer or from the TI Nspire CAS. the handout example gave $e^{20}$
So where did the answer $e^{8/5}$ to the original problem come from: the book, TI Nspire or the handout? Is there a problem because there are two different answers: $e^{8/5}$ and $e^{20}$?

karush said:
$a$ can be determined from the given
What do you mean by given?

karush said:
as was shown
Shown where?

it was shown in post 4
given is a common word meaning the original information
there were to answers one from handout and one from calculator which was the same as the one derived here
also when $$ is used it centers the text

I am just saying that writing your thoughts more explicitly and answering all questions addressed to you would help the readers.

karush said:
also when $$ is used it centers the text
That's not true, at least in my browser.

$$
\text{Equation: } (x+1)^2=x^2+2x+1
$$

gives
$$
\text{Equation: } (x+1)^2=x^2+2x+1
$$
which is closer to the left edge.

there is a \begin{align} \end{align} in the lateX which is commonly used here.
I mostly use tablets I did not see clipping

To prove

$$\lim_{x\to\infty}\left(1+\frac ax\right)^x=e^a$$

try using L'Hopital's rule.

If I was going to work this problem, here's what I'd do:

\(\displaystyle L=\lim_{x\to\infty}\left(\left(\frac{5x+3}{5x-1}\right)^{2x}\right)\)

We have the indeterminate form $1^{\infty}$, and so I would take the natural log of both sides and end up with:

\(\displaystyle \ln(L)=2\lim_{x\to\infty}\left(\frac{\ln\left(\dfrac{5x+3}{5x-1}\right)}{\dfrac{1}{x}}\right)\)

Now we have the indeterminate for $\dfrac{0}{0}$, and so we may use L'Hôpital's Rule:

\(\displaystyle \ln(L)=2\lim_{x\to\infty}\left(\frac{20x^2}{25x^2+10x-3}\right)=\frac{8}{5}\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle L=e^{\frac{8}{5}}\)

Related to L-Hospital's Rule: Limit Calculation

What is L'Hospital's Rule?

L'Hospital's Rule is a mathematical rule that allows for the calculation of limits of indeterminate forms in calculus. It is named after the mathematician Guillaume de l'Hospital.

What is an indeterminate form?

An indeterminate form is an expression where the result cannot be determined just by looking at the expression. This often happens when the expression involves fractions with a denominator of 0 or an infinity raised to the power of 0.

When can L'Hospital's Rule be used?

L'Hospital's Rule can only be used when the limit of the original expression is an indeterminate form, and the limit of the ratio of the derivatives of the numerator and denominator exists. In other words, when the limit of the original expression can be rewritten in the form of .

What is the process for using L'Hospital's Rule?

The process for using L'Hospital's Rule involves taking the derivative of the numerator and denominator separately, then evaluating the limit of the resulting ratio. If the limit of the ratio exists, it is equal to the limit of the original expression. If the limit of the ratio does not exist, then L'Hospital's Rule cannot be used.

Are there any limitations to using L'Hospital's Rule?

Yes, there are certain limitations to using L'Hospital's Rule. It can only be used for limits involving indeterminate forms, and it may not always give the correct result for more complex expressions. It should also be used with caution and double-checked to ensure the correct solution is obtained.