L, E and i: 50.0mH Inductor and 24.0V AC Voltage Source

In summary, the conversation discusses the connection of a 50.0mh inductor to an AC voltage source of 24.0V and the current flowing in the circuit. The frequency of the voltage source is given as 50Hz, 60Hz, or 1.27*10^3 Hz. The concept of impedance is brought in to relate the inductor, voltage, and current, with the conclusion that w = 2pi*f.
-Aladdin-
A 50.0mh inductor is connected to an ac voltage source of 24.0V.The current flowing in this circuit is 0.60A.The frequency of the voltage source is :
a)50Hz
b)60Hz
c)1.27*10^3 Hz

My Work so far ! :
f = w/2pi.

But here we have L , E and i.

Any help will be welcomed.

Physics news on Phys.org
-Aladdin- said:
My Work so far ! :
f = w/2pi.

But here we have L , E and i.

Any help will be welcomed.
You can do better than this. How will you bring in L, E and i? Think impedance.

kuruman said:
You can do better than this. How will you bring in L, E and i? Think impedance.

So,impedance is : z=Lw = L*2pi*f ...

A guess , z = V/I = E/i ! but V(max)/I(max)

-Aladdin- said:
So,impedance is : z=Lw = L*2pi*f ...

A guess , z = V/I = E/i ! but V(max)/I(max)

If z = V/I, can you relate ω to V and I?

kuruman said:
If z = V/I, can you relate ω to V and I?

So is it , V/I=Lw then V/LI=w=2pi*f .

Correct.

kuruman said:
Correct.

Thank you, kuruman.

Related to L, E and i: 50.0mH Inductor and 24.0V AC Voltage Source

1. What is the purpose of an inductor in an AC circuit?

An inductor is a type of passive electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. In an AC circuit, it is used to smooth out the flow of current and reduce voltage fluctuations.

2. How does the inductance value affect the behavior of an inductor?

The inductance value, measured in henries (H), determines how much energy an inductor can store and how quickly it can change the current flow. A higher inductance value means the inductor can store more energy and will take longer to reach its maximum current.

3. What happens to the current in an inductor when an AC voltage source is connected?

When an AC voltage source is connected to an inductor, the current will initially be zero. As the voltage changes, the inductor will resist the change and the current will gradually increase. When the voltage reaches its maximum value, the current will also reach its maximum value.

4. How does the frequency of an AC voltage source affect the behavior of an inductor?

The behavior of an inductor is directly affected by the frequency of the AC voltage source. A higher frequency means the voltage changes more rapidly, which in turn causes the inductor to resist the change and limit the current flow. Conversely, a lower frequency allows the inductor to store more energy and allows for a higher current flow.

5. Can an inductor be used in a DC circuit?

Yes, an inductor can be used in a DC circuit. However, since DC voltage does not change, the inductor will act as a short circuit. This means that the current will reach its maximum value immediately and the inductor will not be able to store energy. In this case, the inductor is essentially useless and can be replaced with a wire.