KVL question for multiple loops

In summary, the conversation is about a circuit diagram given by a teacher with a double loop and different components. The current is labeled as I1, I2, and I3 for the left, middle, and right arms respectively. The question is about the correct equation to use for summing the voltages around the right hand loop in a clockwise direction. The conversation also includes a discussion about the direction of the current and how it affects the equation. The speaker suggests drawing arrows for the currents and a circular arrow for the loop to determine the correct sign for the equation.
Tsandman
Hi, The picture below is part of the notes given to us by our teacher. In case it doesn't work, it's a double loop with a voltage source on the left arm, a resistor (R1) on the middle arm, and two resistors in series (R2 and R3) on the right arm. all the resistors and the voltage source are positive at the node at the top of the page.
The current is I1 in the left arm, I2 in the middle arm, and I3 in the right arm.

For summing the voltages around the right hand loop with a clockwise summing loop, is it:

I2*R1 + I3*R2 + I3*R3 = 0

or

- I2*R1 + I3*R2 + I3*R3 = 0

The teacher said it's the second one, but i thought that seeing as the summing loop enters R1 from the negative end the sign is different?

Thanks in advance for any help.

http://screencast.com/t/QTDiBUruA

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Tsandman! :smile:
Tsandman said:
… i thought that seeing as the summing loop enters R1 from the negative end …

I don't know what you mean by this. :confused:

All that matters is the whether the arrow for the current is the same or opposite to the direction that you've chosen for KVL.

You can choose the other direction, in which case the whole equation gets multiplied by minus-one (so it still works).

Or you can choose to draw, say i2, the other way round (so you're using I2 = -i2), in which case only the coefficient of I2 will be multiplied by minus-one, and you multiply it by minus-one again when you convert it back to i2.

(btw, your i's are not the same as the i's in the diagram …)

Draw arrows for the currents, and a circular arrow for your loop …

if the arrows match, that's plus, if they don't, that's minus. Simples! o:)

Related to KVL question for multiple loops

1. What is KVL (Kirchhoff's Voltage Law)?

KVL is a fundamental law in circuit analysis that states the algebraic sum of all voltages around a closed loop in a circuit is equal to zero.

2. How do you apply KVL for multiple loops?

To apply KVL for multiple loops, you need to assign a direction to each loop and write an equation for the voltage drop or rise across each element in that loop. Then, you can solve the resulting set of equations simultaneously to find the unknown voltages.

3. What are the limitations of KVL for multiple loops?

KVL may not be applicable for circuits with non-linear elements such as diodes, transistors, or AC sources. It also assumes ideal conditions such as negligible resistance in wires and perfect connections.

4. Can KVL be used for circuits with multiple voltage sources?

Yes, KVL can be used for circuits with multiple voltage sources. However, it is important to consider the polarity of each voltage source and assign the appropriate sign to the voltage in the equation.

5. How is KVL different from KCL (Kirchhoff's Current Law)?

KVL deals with the voltage drops or rises across elements in a closed loop, while KCL deals with the current entering and leaving a node in a circuit. Both laws are based on the principle of conservation of energy and are essential for analyzing circuits.