Aren't you tired of talking about God?

• Thread starter Galatea
  • Start date
In summary, the forum members are bored with the subject of religion and are tired of trying to change others' views.
Galatea
Seriously.

I've been a member of these forums for a while now, and whenever I check out the Religion threads, it's always the same thing.

I see the atheists pitted against the theists, and the agnostics kind of siding with the atheists but still being sympathetic to the theists.

Does anyone get tired of it?

I don't mean tired, as in it drains all of your energy and you just can't take it anymore. I'm talking about bored with the subject. Tired of repeating yourself. Tired of trying to enlighten the other side.

At some point, don't you just give up trying to change what others believe and go on about your life? Or is it that interesting of a subject? Does either side think we will find the real answer, somehow, some way?

I don't mean this to be rude at all. I am honestly perplexed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Speaking for myself Galatea I am not trying to change anyone's views. I recognise that the chances of that are about one in a million. It would be nice if it happened but I'm not expecting it. I learn myself by researching answers to the Biblical questions that others raise and providing those answers. Also, I enjoy the argument, it's mentally stimulating to debate these things with intelligent people. If I can encourage people just to question their own beliefs that's enough for me.

They are welcome to talk about Me all they want!

I like posting to see what others think and have to say. But, then, I've only been here a few weeks, so I don't know if I count.

Yea about that.
A god has everything to do with relgion so ofcourse the bulk of the posts will be about a god, or soemthing relating to god...

Originally posted by Galatea
Does anyone get tired of it?

I don't mean tired, as in it drains all of your energy and you just can't take it anymore. I'm talking about bored with the subject. Tired of repeating yourself. Tired of trying to enlighten the other side.

At some point, don't you just give up trying to change what others believe and go on about your life? Or is it that interesting of a subject? Does either side think we will find the real answer, somehow, some way?

Certainly. I often take breaks or shift my attention to different debates (only to return later). Sometimes I just enjoy debating. Sometimes I'm testing my ideas or looking for new perspectives. I think science education is very important...so I often jump into debates with that mindset. Once in a blue moon, I'm out to change the world. I certainly don't have all the answers and my curiosity will probably never let me be "done" with it all. The occasional "diamond in the rough" keeps me going too. Things like the existince of God are "ultimate" questions for which I doubt there will ever be an absolute answer, but I suppose its human nature to keep debating. And I think that's healthy.

Yep.
The trick is to restrain yourself and take long brakes...

i don't think debating its what's so bad, but everyone trying to 'prove' that their way of thinking is right. and sorry, a lot of you, whether you admit or not, are doing it. i think debating proof isn't bad, but debating beliefs is. if someone want to believe something, you can't change that no matter how logical the argument. course, then, for those of us who aren't partial to the debates just don't need to read them... the beauty of chat forums...

No, not at all. But if YOU are, I'm perplexed about why you are in this forum at all! If other people like popcorn, but I don't, why in the world would I go to the popcorn stand?:wink: In fact, the religion forum is about the only reason I'm here at PF. I enjoy reading discussions from intelligent people about the subject. Occasionally, I participate. And it's a very good place to pose questions I might have and be assured of fairly intelligent answers.

Last edited:
yup, like they said about heavy metal and violent movies. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

Personally, I've not found a better/more interesting way to pass time when being trapped indoors.

If I had my way, I'd be outside all the time and I'd never get to impose my views on all of you.

I havn't been here long (obviously), but I've done this quite a bit on other forums. I have to say that no, I really don't get tired of it. I cannot stand the mass delusia of our species, and if in the course of the arguments I get just one person to think differently about something, then I'll know I'll have done something.

Plus, it's fun. :wink:

You're right, there is a lot of delusion floating around in the world today. But what makes you sure that you're not delusional yourself?

I only believe in me, and I know I exist.

You know you exist, that doesn't mean all your other beliefs are necessarily correct.

Your missing the point of that post, but I'll elaborate.

I only believe in that which is observed. (As Calvin said, "Non-see-ums are nonexistant by definition!) I believe in science, and in the human persuit thereof. There is not, nor has there have been a testable, reliable proof of any God. Period. I am an athiest, yes, but only in the sense I don't believe in a higher power. All I believe in is the human will, the human drive, and the human potential.

Let me explain this from a different point of view. When speaking of religion, I always explain athiesm as humanity "growing up". It's time to stop believing in the myths of old, it's time to realize we control our destiny and our own fate, we are alone and all we have are each other in this world. When you look at a child, he sees his parents (generally) as his Gods, his protectors. Humans don't have "parents" to look up to, to ask for guidance and protection, so they invented one. The subconcious, looking for all of those things, reached into the imagination and inspewed upon the psyche the concepts of higher beings. But now humanity doesn't need that anymore. Havn't we, as a species, grown up? Do we not now control our own destiny? Isn't it time we leave the nest of our false God?

well said.

Just because you haven't seen it yet, or even can't see it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. For Calvin, a radio wave would be non-existent, since he had no means of "seeing" one. For a blind person, "colors" are non-existent. But surely both Calvin and the blind person would be wrong in asserting the absolute non-existence of radio waves and colors, respectively.

Hypothetical situation: you come to a bolted metal door in a brick wall that you can't open. You are asked if you think there is a room behind the door, or if the door just reveals a continuation of the brick wall. Since you can't open the door and see what's behind it, it's illogical to say with certainty whether a room exists behind it or not. You just can't be sure. You may crusade for the existence or non-existence of the room, trying to enlighten people who hold the opposite view. But really, there is no way to know if you are dispelling delusion or spreading it.

And for a more informed perspective, I would suggest you strive to achieve a spiritual experience before you make your final conclusion, if you must make one at all. After all, it's bad practice to brush off a position without thoroughly familiarizing yourself with the details of that position.

Last edited:
Hm, I can see this is going to go nowhere, but I'll play it out for the fun of it.

Now have a little common sense. Sight isn't meant literally, I'd be a fool to say "Oh look, I can't see gravity, I'll jump off this building." You can see the influences of forces, and that's evidence as to the force itself.

There is no evidence for God. Period.

And on achieving a spiritual experience, well, I've had one. And during it and after proper analyzing, I realized it was only my own psyche reaching out for something it wanted. God didn't touch me, my subconscious did.

Well, think whatever you want. Just recognize that you can't be sure. You just can't. Spreader of truth or delusion? The world may never know.

edit: And I think it was clear from my post that I was using sight as a metaphor, same as you... hence, "seeing" radio waves.

Maybe I shouldn't get involved. I don't begrudge anyone their beliefs. It's just the Jehova's witnesses, on both sides, that bother me. But that's just a personal thing. shrug

Last edited:
edit: And I think it was clear from my post that I was using sight as a metaphor, same as you... hence, "seeing" radio waves.

Shows how much I was paying attention, I think. ;)

Disbelief in a proposition means that one does not believe it to be true. Not believing that something is true is not equivalent to believing that it is false.

I will never understand why agnostics insist on calling themselves atheists. Things would be so much clearer if everyone used the same terminology.

Originally posted by hypnagogue
I will never understand why agnostics insist on calling themselves atheists. Things would be so much clearer if everyone used the same terminology.

Ironically, Athiests need a bible.

1. Why do you keep talking about God if you're a scientist?

As a scientist, I am interested in understanding and exploring the world around me through evidence and experimentation. This includes studying and discussing the concept of God, as it is a significant aspect of many cultures and societies. It is important to have open and respectful discussions about different beliefs, even as a scientist.

2. Don't science and religion contradict each other?

Science and religion can often seem at odds with each other, but they actually address different aspects of life. Science is based on observable evidence and seeks to understand how the natural world works, while religion deals with faith, spirituality, and moral values. Many scientists have strong religious beliefs and find that they can coexist with their scientific work.

3. How can you believe in God without proof?

Belief in God is based on faith, which is a personal and subjective experience. As a scientist, I rely on evidence and data to form conclusions, but I also recognize that not everything can be proven. Just because something cannot be scientifically proven, does not mean it does not exist or have value.

4. Isn't science the only way to explain the world?

Science is a powerful tool for understanding the natural world, but it is not the only way to explain the world. Religion, philosophy, and personal experiences also play a role in how we make sense of the world around us. As a scientist, I value the different perspectives and ways of understanding the world.

5. How can you reconcile science and religion?

Reconciling science and religion is a personal and ongoing journey for many individuals. For me, I find that both science and religion offer valuable insights and perspectives on life. I believe they can coexist and complement each other, rather than being in conflict. It is important to respect and appreciate different perspectives, even if we do not personally agree with them.