Electromagnetic Diagram of 4 Antenna Array - Philip's Question

In summary, Philip is requesting an electromagnetic diagram for a four antenna array that forms a square with one wavelength distance between the edges. The purpose is to see how the electromagnetic waves interact with each other and determine the direction where the combined radiation will be the strongest at a great distance away. The type of antennas and why they are being arranged in a square are not specified.
philipc
Just wondering if anyone happens to have an electromagnetic diagram of how a four antenna array would look. Provided that all four antennas’ form a square and edges are one wavelength in distance?
Thanks
Philip

Physics news on Phys.org
What is an "electromagnetic diagram?" What kind of antennas? Dipoles? Why would you want to make a square out of them?

- Warren

sorry I kind of made up the term "electromagnetic diagram", I just wanted to see how the electromagnetic waves interact with each other(being from the 4 different antennas).

"What kind of antennas? Dipoles?"
The homework problem does not make mention of this

"Why would you want to make a square out of them?"
The question is asking in what horizontal direction will the combined radiation be the strongest at great distance away.

Unfortunately my book does not go into dept about antennas, it is in a chapter regarding physical optics.
Philip

Thinking about it this morning, I'm guessing the direction where the strongest combined radiation will be diagonally from the corners. I'm figuring this because you would have 3 antennas contributing in constructive interference?
Philip

Originally posted by philipc
sorry I kind of made up the term "electromagnetic diagram", I just wanted to see how the electromagnetic waves interact with each other(being from the 4 different antennas).

are you referring to a diagram of the antenna array's directivity?

1. What is an electromagnetic diagram of a 4 antenna array?

An electromagnetic diagram of a 4 antenna array is a visual representation of the electromagnetic radiation pattern emitted by a system of four antennas. It shows the direction and strength of the radiation in different directions.

2. How is the electromagnetic diagram of a 4 antenna array useful?

The electromagnetic diagram of a 4 antenna array is useful for understanding the coverage and performance of the antenna system. It can also be used to determine the best placement and positioning of the antennas for optimal signal strength and directionality.

3. What factors affect the electromagnetic diagram of a 4 antenna array?

The main factors that affect the electromagnetic diagram of a 4 antenna array are the physical characteristics and placement of the antennas, such as their size, shape, and distance from each other. The frequency and power of the signal being transmitted also play a role.

4. How can the electromagnetic diagram of a 4 antenna array be optimized?

The electromagnetic diagram of a 4 antenna array can be optimized by carefully designing and positioning the antennas to work together harmoniously. This can involve adjusting the physical characteristics of the antennas and using techniques such as beamforming to focus the signal in specific directions.

5. Are there any limitations to the electromagnetic diagram of a 4 antenna array?

Yes, there are limitations to the electromagnetic diagram of a 4 antenna array. It is based on theoretical calculations and assumptions, and may not always accurately reflect the actual performance of the antenna system in real-world conditions. Other factors such as interference and environmental conditions can also affect the performance of the antennas.