Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Kruidnootje introduces himself

Kruidnootje

Mar 29, 2018
Hallo, I'm from a land where sheep cause queues and it rains on a clear day and the sun shines when its cloudy. The last time I looked at an equation I was 15, never touched maths (except stoichiometry), Not young anymore but I have a specific reason for wanting to study something I once hated. I was inspired when I started to research out pi, Fibonacci, mascheroni and euler and the 137 phenomena out of some strangely weird and 'what am I getting into brain exercise', background is in photography and history where the only numbers I encountered were RGB and Dates! Feeling somewhat intimidated by the expertise here coupled with a lack of 'language' decorum I am determined to stumble up hill. I must admit I never understood people who said maths was fun, or beautiful or wonderful, words like magical and exciting are something I associate with what appeared in my lens and on my photoshop. Ah, but now these strange words are coming onto my lips and its frightening.

PS I'm gone for a week, so I won't be able to reply to anyone just yet. Thanks.

Joppy

MHB Math Helper
Mar 17, 2016
Hallo, I'm from a land where sheep cause queues and it rains on a clear day and the sun shines when its cloudy. The last time I looked at an equation I was 15, never touched maths (except stoichiometry), Not young anymore but I have a specific reason for wanting to study something I once hated. I was inspired when I started to research out pi, Fibonacci, mascheroni and euler and the 137 phenomena out of some strangely weird and 'what am I getting into brain exercise', background is in photography and history where the only numbers I encountered were RGB and Dates! Feeling somewhat intimidated by the expertise here coupled with a lack of 'language' decorum I am determined to stumble up hill. I must admit I never understood people who said maths was fun, or beautiful or wonderful, words like magical and exciting are something I associate with what appeared in my lens and on my photoshop. Ah, but now these strange words are coming onto my lips and its frightening.

Welcome! No need to feel intimitated here!

Also, there's plenty of mathematics in photography (as I'm sure you know): check this out, http://www.ma.man.ac.uk/~higham/talks/digphot.pdf

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Hello, and welcome to MHB! (Wave)

Peter

MHB Site Helper
Jun 22, 2012

Best wishes for your venture into the joys of mathematics...

Peter

Greg

Perseverance
Staff member
Feb 5, 2013
Welcome! :)

Janssens

Sep 16, 2017
Hello and welcome here. I think it is good to have a specific reason to study such a large field as mathematics. It tends to give you a well-defined direction in your explorations. Enjoy them!

Incidentally, is there a reason your handle is Dutch? I am asking out of curiosity.

Kruidnootje

Mar 29, 2018
Thankyou all for your comments. Much appreciated. Krylov, PM'd jouw.