Kronig-Penney potential as spacing -> infinity

Finally, we can use the fact that sin(x)/x approaches 1 as x approaches 0, to simplify the LHS further:lim cosh(k1*a) - lim cosh(k*b) - [(k1^2 - k^2)/2*k1*k]* lim sinh(k*b) = lim cos(k*d)As b approaches infinity, both cosh(k*b) and sinh(k*b) approach infinity, but their ratio approaches 1. This means that we can rewrite the LHS as:lim cosh(k1*a) - lim cosh(k*b) -
quasar_4
Kronig-Penney potential as spacing --> infinity

Homework Statement

Show that in the limit that the atomic sites of the Kronig-Penney potential become far removed from each other (b-->infinity), energies of the more strongly bound electrons (E<<V) become the eigenenergies k1a=n*Pi of a 1D box of width a.

(This is problem 16 in chapter 8 of Liboff, if you have this text).

Homework Equations

The b in the problem refers to the spacing of the atomic sites - if d is the spacing of the sites and a is the width of the well, a+b=d.

There are only two equations in this whole section that even use b, so far as I can tell, and these are the "dispersion relations" that Liboff gets to determine the eigenenergies. There is one for the case of E>V and E<V. I believe the latter is the pertinent one for this problem (correct me if I'm wrong) and this is:

E< V ==> cos(k1*a)cosh(k*b) - [(k1^2 - k^2)/2*k1*k]* sin(k1*a)sinh(k*b) = cos(k*d).

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my problem. I am a bit confused in general about why this is a dispersion relation, and worse, the limits confuse me: cosh(b*k) and sinh(b*k) both blow up when b approaches infinity, so as far as I can tell the left hand side of the so-called dispersion relation becomes infinity-infinity which is undefined.

If I ignore mathematics for a minute and play the hand-waving game I could maybe say that since the LHS goes to infinity but the RHS is finite, that the sin(k1*a) must** equal 0 and this would give us the necessary condition of k1*a=n*Pi... but that would only make the sine term 0, not the cosine term, and then I have something left like (-1)^n * infinity = cos(k*d)... I have NO idea what that means... so yeah... I am clearly doing something wrong.

** I know 0*infinity is no good either, but this is a tactic my professor has used on the board numerous times. I don't like it, but it seems to be a physics hand-wavy thing - maybe would work here??

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I can definitely help you with this problem. The Kronig-Penney potential is a periodic potential that describes the potential energy experienced by an electron in a crystal lattice. As you mentioned, the spacing between the atomic sites is denoted by b and the width of the well is denoted by a. In the limit where b approaches infinity, the potential becomes a series of infinitely deep and infinitely wide wells, with no overlap between them. This is known as the "tight-binding" approximation.

To understand why the eigenenergies of the Kronig-Penney potential approach the eigenenergies of a 1D box as b approaches infinity, we can look at the dispersion relation you provided. As you correctly noted, the LHS of the dispersion relation becomes undefined as b approaches infinity. However, we can take the limit of the LHS as b approaches infinity as follows:

lim cos(k1*a)cosh(k*b) - [(k1^2 - k^2)/2*k1*k]* sin(k1*a)sinh(k*b) = lim cos(k1*a)*lim cosh(k*b) - [(k1^2 - k^2)/2*k1*k]* lim sin(k1*a)*lim sinh(k*b)

As b approaches infinity, both cosh(k*b) and sinh(k*b) approach infinity, but their ratio approaches 1. Similarly, as b approaches infinity, both sin(k1*a) and sinh(k*b) approach 0. This means that we can rewrite the dispersion relation as:

lim cos(k1*a)*lim cosh(k*b) - [(k1^2 - k^2)/2*k1*k]* lim sin(k1*a)*lim sinh(k*b) = lim cos(k*d)

Now, we can use the trigonometric identity cos^2(x) = 1-sin^2(x) to rewrite the LHS as:

lim [1 - sin^2(k1*a)]*lim cosh(k*b) - [(k1^2 - k^2)/2*k1*k]* lim sin(k1*a)*lim sinh(k*b) = lim cos(k*d)

We can then expand the LHS and use the fact that cosh(x) = cosh(-x) to get:

lim cosh(k1*a) - sin^2(k1*a)*lim cosh(k*b) - [(k1

Related to Kronig-Penney potential as spacing -> infinity

1. What is the Kronig-Penney potential as spacing approaches infinity?

The Kronig-Penney potential is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior of electrons in a periodic lattice. As the spacing between lattice sites approaches infinity, the potential becomes a step function, meaning that the potential is constant throughout the lattice.

2. How does the Kronig-Penney potential change as spacing increases?

As the spacing between lattice sites increases, the Kronig-Penney potential becomes less and less significant in determining the behavior of electrons in the lattice. This is because the potential becomes more and more constant, leading to a simpler model with fewer fluctuations.

3. Does the Kronig-Penney potential have any physical significance as spacing approaches infinity?

No, as the spacing between lattice sites approaches infinity, the Kronig-Penney potential becomes a constant value and no longer has any physical significance in determining the behavior of electrons in the lattice. In this limit, other factors such as temperature and impurities become more important.

4. Is the Kronig-Penney potential still useful in studying electron behavior in a lattice with large spacing?

Yes, the Kronig-Penney potential can still provide insights into the behavior of electrons in a lattice with large spacing. While the potential itself may become less important, the mathematical techniques used to solve the model can still be applied to more complex systems.

5. Are there any other models that can be used to describe electron behavior in a lattice with large spacing?

Yes, there are other models that can be used to describe electron behavior in a lattice with large spacing, such as the tight-binding model or the nearly-free electron model. These models take into account other factors, such as the overlap of atomic orbitals and the effect of external fields, that become more important as spacing increases.