Kronecker product of infinite dimensional matrices

In summary, it seems that the matrix representing the Kronecker product of two infinite dimensional matrices is not well defined, but it is possible to define a product linear operator even if the vector space that these operators work on are infinite dimensional. Additionally, you may need to resort to norms and spectra to make sense of the operator.
yphink
Hi there,
I was recently working with Kronecker product of matrices, and a question came up that I'm not sure how to answer. Is the matrix that represents a Kronecker product of two infinite dimensional matrices well defined? If yes, are some of the properties of the Kronecker product listed in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kronecker_product satisfied for the infinite dimensional matrices:
1. [itex]A \otimes (B + C) = A \otimes B + A \otimes C [/itex]
2. [itex]k (A \otimes B) = (kA \otimes B)[/itex]
3. [itex](A \otimes B)(C \otimes D) = AC \otimes BD[/itex]

On one hand, it seems tricky to define such a product matrix because it is supposed to look like a block matrix, but how can it exist if each block is going to be of an infinite size?
On the other hand, looking on the literature about the tensor product of linear operators, it seems possible to define a product linear operator, even if the vector space that these operators work on are infinite dimensional. In this case, if I'm not mistaken, infinite dimensional matrices are instances of these linear operations.

Any clarifications are much appreciated!

Yuri

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey yphink and welcome to the forums.

Before worrying about Kronecker products, you should take a look at operators on Hilbert-Spaces and see what the issues are for multiplication. As a starting point you will want to look at what is known as Banach-Space theory which is really the starting point behind the theory of analyzing these infinite-dimensional operators.

Because of the nature of infinity being involved there are complications in the same way that you get issues when dealing with infinite series and trying to figure out whether they converge or not.

Thank you chiro for your reply. What mainly bothers me though is that, as I said, the tensor product of two linear maps exist even if these are maps in infinite dimensional spaces. Now, the Kronecker product is a representation of a tensor product wrt the standard basis (quoting wikipedia). So shouldn't it be the case that such a Kronecker product (matrix) exists? Am I missing something here?

Thank you

yphink said:
Thank you chiro for your reply. What mainly bothers me though is that, as I said, the tensor product of two linear maps exist even if these are maps in infinite dimensional spaces. Now, the Kronecker product is a representation of a tensor product wrt the standard basis (quoting wikipedia). So shouldn't it be the case that such a Kronecker product (matrix) exists? Am I missing something here?

Thank you

I see what you are saying, but the key thing about an operator making "sense" are the properties of convergence and this kind of thing is what is looked at in the fields mentioned above.

Also in that wiki, it says that (A X B)(C X D) = AC X BD (X is tensor product) or something similar and AC is a multiplication, then it means that you need convergence criteria for the operator AC (and BD) to make sense.

In terms of this making sense, you would probably have to assess if the operators A,B,C,D make "sense" and whether that implies that the tensor product produces an operator that also "makes sense".

I'm guessing you will need to resort to norms and spectra to do this and this is exactly what these operator algebras as they are called look at.

chiro said:
I see what you are saying, but the key thing about an operator making "sense" are the properties of convergence and this kind of thing is what is looked at in the fields mentioned above.

OK, I guess I should give more details.
Suppose we are given an infinite dimensional vector space V with a basis satisfying the following property: all the elements in V can be represented by a finite linear combinations of the elements of the basis (I think this condition resolves convergence problems that you have raised). Now I should be able to talk about linear maps in this space, and their matrix representation, e.g.
[itex]A: V → V, B: V → V[/itex],
where [itex]AB[/itex] or [itex]BA[/itex] are well defined too. This is what I understand from reading Lectures in Abstract Algebra, Vol. 2 by Nathan Jacobson (http://reslib.com/book/Lectures_in_Abstract_Algebra__Vol__2#1), chapter 9 on infinite dimensional vector spaces.
From here, I want to talk about the matrix that represents the kronecker product [itex]A \otimes B[/itex], but I'm not sure if it is well defined.
The interesting thing is, that later in chapter 9 of this book (page 256 middle paragraph) the author says that we can talk about Kronecker product of arbitrary vector spaces. However, at that point I could not follow the details due to insufficient background, so I don't know if it indeed answers my question.

Thank you again for your help.

Related to Kronecker product of infinite dimensional matrices

1. What is the Kronecker product of infinite dimensional matrices?

The Kronecker product of infinite dimensional matrices is a mathematical operation that combines two infinite dimensional matrices to create a new matrix. It is defined as the tensor product of the two matrices, meaning that the entries of the new matrix are the products of the corresponding entries of the original matrices.

2. How is the Kronecker product of infinite dimensional matrices calculated?

To calculate the Kronecker product of two infinite dimensional matrices, you first need to convert them into block matrices with a finite number of blocks. Then, you can use the regular formula for calculating the Kronecker product of finite dimensional matrices.

3. What are the applications of the Kronecker product of infinite dimensional matrices?

The Kronecker product of infinite dimensional matrices is often used in linear algebra, signal processing, and quantum mechanics. It can also be used to represent higher-dimensional systems and to solve large-scale optimization problems.

4. Can the Kronecker product of infinite dimensional matrices be used for non-square matrices?

Yes, the Kronecker product of infinite dimensional matrices can be used for non-square matrices. However, the resulting matrix will have a different dimension than the original matrices. For example, the Kronecker product of a 3x2 matrix and a 4x3 matrix will result in a 12x6 matrix.

5. Is the Kronecker product of infinite dimensional matrices commutative?

No, the Kronecker product of infinite dimensional matrices is not commutative. This means that the order in which the matrices are multiplied matters, and the resulting matrix will be different if the order is changed.