Kramers kronig in mathematica

In summary, the speaker is having trouble with their simulation of normal reflectance experiment, specifically in finding the dielectric function using the Kramers-Kronig relation. They have tried using IGOR wavemetrics and Mathematica, but have encountered issues with negative complex dielectric results. They are now seeking help and suggestions for other methods to try.
clanx
I am having trouble with one of my simulation of normal reflectance experiment. so I simulated my reflectivity as a lorentzian peak and I want to find the dielectric function ultimately.

so of course the reflectivity and phase is related through kramers kronig which can then be used to compute the dielectric but this is the part I'm stuck at for almost 2 weeks.

so firstly I used IGOR wavemetrics to do a Hilbert transform relating the real reflectivity and imaginary phase parts but I ended up getting a negative complex dielectric which is not possible.

so thinking that maybe the built in code in igor for the hilbert transform was inaccurate, I tried doing the kramers kronig relation numerically in mathematica.
you can refer to my post in their forum for more info about the code
http://mathematica.stackexchange.com/questions/39148/kramers-kronig-relation-for-phase-and-complex-reflectivity
the results were different but sadly still negative.

I decided to try my luck here hoping I get faster replies with anyone with past experience in such calculations.

thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you have done a lot of work already and I'm sorry to hear you are still stuck. One possibility is that your data may not be accurate enough for the Kramers-Kronig relation to yield a valid result. The Kramers-Kronig relation essentially assumes that you have perfect knowledge of the reflectivity and phase data, which is often not the case in practice. You might try smoothing or interpolating the data to see if that helps. Another possibility is that you have the wrong Lorentzian peak parameters. Make sure the parameters you are using are appropriate for your system. Finally, you can try using an alternative method for computing the dielectric function, such as the maximum entropy method (MEM).

Related to Kramers kronig in mathematica

1. What is Kramers-Kronig in Mathematica?

Kramers-Kronig in Mathematica is a numerical method used to perform analytic continuation in the complex plane. It is used to determine the real and imaginary parts of a function from its values on the real axis.

2. How does Kramers-Kronig in Mathematica work?

Kramers-Kronig in Mathematica works by utilizing the Kramers-Kronig relations, which are mathematical equations that relate the real and imaginary parts of a complex function. The method uses these relations to reconstruct the function on the complex plane.

3. What are the applications of Kramers-Kronig in Mathematica?

Kramers-Kronig in Mathematica has various applications in physics, optics, and engineering. It is commonly used in the analysis of spectroscopic data and in the study of material properties such as refractive index and dielectric constant.

4. Can Kramers-Kronig in Mathematica be used for any type of function?

Yes, Kramers-Kronig in Mathematica can be used for any analytic function, which is a function that is differentiable at every point in its domain. However, the method may not work well for functions with large discontinuities or singularities.

5. Are there any limitations to using Kramers-Kronig in Mathematica?

One limitation of Kramers-Kronig in Mathematica is that it requires a large number of data points to accurately reconstruct the function on the complex plane. It may also be sensitive to errors or noise in the data. Additionally, the method may not work well for functions with a high degree of complexity.