KP 8 Band Model: Exploring Quantum Well Structures

In summary, the conversation discusses using a MATLAB program for k.p modelling of quantum well structures. The output includes files with eigen values and wave functions, but it is unclear how to determine which energies correspond to which bands. The conversation also mentions a potential 8X8 matrix and a request for book recommendations on understanding the 8 band model.
N_B
Hi,
I have just started using a MATLAB program written by someone to do k.p modelling of the quantum well structures.The out put of it is several files.One file has a list of eigen values.Real and imaginary parts.How do I know which energies are CB,LH,HH?since it's a type 2 quantum well,with overlapping band structures.Also,I get several files with the information of wave functions corresponding to these eigen energies.But the file has output as band 1,2,3...8.and wave functions corresponding to each band over the entire quantum well range.These file kind of gives a 1X8 result (1 energyX8 bands)How does this relate to 8X8 matrix?
Any good book that can help me understanding k.p 8 band model?and help me in analyzing the result?
Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
The 8 energies should correspond to 4 bands, CB, HH, LH and SO and should be in decreasing energy. I can't tell you any more without seeing the code.

As a scientist familiar with quantum well structures and k.p modeling, I can offer some guidance on your questions.

First, to determine which eigen energies correspond to the CB, LH, and HH bands, you can refer to the band structure diagram for your specific quantum well structure. The eigen energies should be labeled according to their respective bands. Additionally, you can also look at the wave functions corresponding to each energy to see which band they belong to.

Secondly, the 1X8 result you are getting from the wave function file is likely showing the wave function values at different points along the quantum well, rather than for different bands. This is because the wave function is a function of position, not band. To understand the 8X8 matrix, you can refer to the mathematical representation of the k.p model, which involves an 8X8 matrix.

As for a good book on k.p 8 band modeling, I would recommend "Semiconductor Optoelectronic Devices" by Jasprit Singh, which covers the theory and applications of k.p modeling in detail. Additionally, you can also refer to research papers and articles on the topic for further understanding and analysis of your results.

I hope this helps in your understanding and analysis of the k.p 8 band model. Good luck with your research!

Related to KP 8 Band Model: Exploring Quantum Well Structures

1. What is the KP 8 Band Model?

The KP 8 Band Model is a theoretical model used to study the electronic properties of quantum well structures, which are thin layers of semiconductor material that are used in many electronic devices.

2. How does the KP 8 Band Model work?

The KP 8 Band Model uses a set of mathematical equations to describe the energy levels and wave functions of electrons in a quantum well structure. It takes into account the effects of quantum confinement and bandgap engineering.

3. What are the advantages of using the KP 8 Band Model?

The KP 8 Band Model is able to accurately predict the electronic properties of quantum well structures, which allows scientists and engineers to design and optimize devices such as transistors, lasers, and solar cells. It also provides a better understanding of the fundamental physics behind these devices.

4. What are the limitations of the KP 8 Band Model?

The KP 8 Band Model is a simplified model and does not take into account all the possible factors that can affect the behavior of electrons in a quantum well structure. It also assumes that the materials used are perfect, which may not always be the case in real-world applications.

5. How is the KP 8 Band Model used in research and development?

The KP 8 Band Model is often used in conjunction with experimental data to validate its predictions and improve its accuracy. It is also used to guide the design of new materials and devices, as well as to study the effects of different parameters on the electronic properties of quantum well structures.