Is This Equation Correct for Horizontal Projection?

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a block sliding off a horizontal surface with a speed of Vo. The goal is to write an expression that relates the distance fallen, y, to the horizontal distance traveled, X. The individual suggests using the horizontal projection equations and after some calculations, they arrive at the equation y=.5g(x/Vo)^2. They are advised to leave it in this form as it accurately expresses the relationship between y and x.
Physicsisfun2005
I think this physics problem deals only with horizontal projection...let me know what you think:

A block slides off a horizontal surface with speed Vo. Write an expression relating y, distance fallen, to X, the horizontal distance traveled.
i think i can use the horizontal proj. equations:

R=VoT (I think you can substitute X for R)

h=.5gt^2 (I think you can substitute y for h)

I get a combined equation of y=.5g(x/Vo)^2..which simplfied b/c .5g=4.9
Y/4.9=(X/Vo)^2...which i think can simplify to the
(square root of y/4.9)=X/Vo

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Physicsisfun2005
I get a combined equation of y=.5g(x/Vo)^2
That is correct, and I would leave it in exactly that form. The rest of your "simplifications" really just seemed to make a mess of it. You are asked to express y as a function of x (or x as a function of y), and that's exactly what you've done. You're finished!

- Warren

Yes, you are correct. The problem only deals with horizontal projection, as the block is sliding off a horizontal surface. Your approach of using the horizontal projection equations is correct. By substituting X for R and y for h, you can arrive at the expression y=.5g(x/Vo)^2, which can be simplified to (square root of y/4.9)=X/Vo. This equation relates the distance fallen, y, to the horizontal distance traveled, X. Great work!

What is Horizontal Projection?

Horizontal projection is a method used in engineering and architecture to represent a three-dimensional object on a two-dimensional surface. It involves creating a flat, two-dimensional image of an object by projecting its features onto a horizontal plane.

What are the types of Horizontal Projection?

The two most common types of horizontal projection are orthographic projection and oblique projection. Orthographic projection is a method where the object is projected onto a plane parallel to one of its faces, resulting in multiple views of the object. Oblique projection is a method where the object is projected onto a plane at an angle, resulting in a single view of the object.

What is the purpose of Horizontal Projection?

The purpose of horizontal projection is to accurately represent the shape and size of an object in a two-dimensional form. It is used in engineering and architecture to create technical drawings and plans for construction or manufacturing.

How does Horizontal Projection differ from Vertical Projection?

Horizontal projection involves projecting an object onto a horizontal plane, while vertical projection involves projecting an object onto a vertical plane. Horizontal projection is used to create top, front, and side views of an object, while vertical projection is used to create front, side, and bottom views of an object.

What are the advantages of using Horizontal Projection?

Horizontal projection allows for accurate representation of an object's size and shape in a two-dimensional form. It also allows for easy visualization and understanding of an object's features and dimensions. Additionally, it enables the creation of technical drawings and plans that can be used for construction or manufacturing purposes.