Km and Vmax dependence on enzyme concentration

In summary, Vmax is dependent on enzyme concentration because it is directly proportional to it. However, Km is not dependent on enzyme concentration because it is a measure of the equilibrium constant for the formation of the enzyme-substrate complex, which is not dependent on any concentration as long as the reaction is first-order. Michaelis-Menten kinetics also assumes a steady-state where the concentration of the enzyme-substrate complex is near-constant.
p3t3r1
We know that Vmax depends on enzyme concentration since Vmax = k2[E]

However, what I have trouble grasp is that why Km does not depend on enzyme concentration if Km is the substrate concentration where V = 1/2 Vmax. If you increase Vmax, shouldn't Km increase as well since it is dependent on it?

I asked my biochem prof today and he gave some explanation about substrate concentration which I didn't catch. I am hoping someone can clarify it here. thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If [tex]K_M = [/tex] then
[tex]v_0 = v_{max}\frac{}{K_M+}=v_{max}\frac{}{2}=\frac{v_{max}}{2}[/tex]

Note though, that this doesn't mean [tex]K_M[/tex] is dependent on . [tex]K_M[/tex] is defined as a measure of the equilibrium constant for E + S <-> ES. Which is not dependent on any concentration, as long as the reaction is first order, which Michaelis-Menten kinetics assumes. (it also assumes a steady-state where [ES] is near-constant)

I see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michaelis–Menten_kinetics" has a thorough derivation of Michaelis-Menten kinetics, btw.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you for your question. The relationship between Km and enzyme concentration is a complex one and may not be intuitive at first. Let me explain in more detail below.

Km is the Michaelis constant, which is a measure of the affinity of an enzyme for its substrate. It represents the substrate concentration at which the enzyme is working at half of its maximum velocity (Vmax). In other words, it is the concentration of substrate required to achieve half of the maximum reaction rate.

Now, let's consider the equation you mentioned, Vmax = k2[E]. This equation shows that the maximum reaction rate (Vmax) is directly proportional to the enzyme concentration ([E]). This means that increasing the enzyme concentration will lead to an increase in Vmax. However, this does not necessarily mean that Km will also increase.

The reason for this is that Km is not solely dependent on enzyme concentration. It is also influenced by the affinity of the enzyme for its substrate, which is determined by the enzyme's structure and active site. Even if the enzyme concentration is increased, the affinity of the enzyme for its substrate will remain the same, and therefore, Km will not change.

In other words, Km is a measure of the enzyme-substrate interaction and is not affected by changes in enzyme concentration. It is possible for two enzymes with different concentrations to have the same Km value, as long as they have the same affinity for their substrate.

I hope this clarifies the relationship between Km and enzyme concentration. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Related to Km and Vmax dependence on enzyme concentration

What is Km?

Km, or Michaelis constant, is a measure of the substrate concentration at which the reaction rate is half of the maximum reaction rate. It is a measure of the affinity between the enzyme and substrate.

What is Vmax?

Vmax, or maximum reaction rate, is the fastest rate at which an enzyme can catalyze a reaction when the enzyme is saturated with substrate. It is a measure of the enzyme's catalytic efficiency.

How does enzyme concentration affect Km?

As enzyme concentration increases, the Km value decreases. This means that the enzyme and substrate have a higher affinity for each other, requiring a lower substrate concentration to reach half of the maximum reaction rate.

How does enzyme concentration affect Vmax?

As enzyme concentration increases, the Vmax value also increases. This is because there are more enzyme molecules available to catalyze the reaction, resulting in a higher maximum reaction rate.

What is the relationship between Km and Vmax?

Km and Vmax have an inverse relationship. As Km decreases, Vmax increases and vice versa. This means that enzymes with a high affinity for their substrate (low Km) will have a higher maximum reaction rate (Vmax) compared to enzymes with a lower affinity (high Km).