Klein-Gordon Equation & Continuity Equation

In summary, the probability density for the Klein-Gordon equation is not always positive, and can be negative.
Sekonda
Hello,

My question is on the Klein-Gordon equation and it's relation to the continuity equation, so for a Klein-Gordon equation & continuity equation of the following form, I have attained the following probability density and probability current relations (although not normalised correctly? If that's the correct term):

[tex]-\frac{\partial^2 }{\partial t^2}\psi +\bigtriangledown ^2\psi-m^2\psi=0 \: ,\: \frac{\partial }{\partial t}\rho +\mathbf{\bigtriangledown } \cdot \mathbf{j}=0[/tex]

[tex]\rho=i(\psi^{*}\dot{\psi}-\psi\dot{\psi^{*}})\,,\; \mathbf{j} =i(\psi\bigtriangledown \psi^{*}-\psi^{*}\bigtriangledown\psi)[/tex]

We then impose conservation of probability by making the time derivative of the probability equal to zero, and the following manipulation of this derivative is shown below:

[tex]\frac{\partial P}{\partial t}=\int_{V}\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t}\, d^3x=-\int_{V}\bigtriangledown\cdot \mathbf{j}\, d^3x=-\oint_{S}\mathbf{j}\cdot d\mathbf{s}=0[/tex]

This above equation makes use of the divergence theorem in the last pair. This is true if j=0, but does j in general need to be equal to zero? I thought 'j' would vary around the surface and so the integration of all 'j' at each part on the surface would equal zero but not necessarily all 'j' =0.

To be honest I'm quite unsure at what 'j' represents in terms of probability!

Can anyone explain this?

Thanks,
SK

Physics news on Phys.org
Also I want to show that the probability density is not always positive but can be negative, so I tried substituting a plane wave solution of the form:

[tex]\psi\sim e^{-iEt+i\mathbf{p\cdot x}}[/tex]

into my probability density equation in the post above, but this gave me a positive answer - though if I use the negative energy plane wave solutions I will attain negative probability density (negative energy plane wave solutions attained by switching the signs in the exponent above), is this the correct way of showing this?

The -ve energies correspond to the -ve probabilities?

Sekonda, if you take a SUPERPOSITION of two plane waves with different positive energies, you will obtain that rho is not positive at some points. This implies that rho is NOT a probability density.

For some details, see also
http://arxiv.org/abs/0804.4564

there is a problem with single particle representation of klein-gordon eqn.you can see that ρ depends on both ψ and ∂ψ/∂t,and klein-gordon eqn itself is a second order differential eqn which requires both ψ and ∂ψ/∂t to be specified at say t=0.so they can take arbitrary value and hence can make ρ negative.it is here identified as charge density rather than probability density.

Thanks guys,

I think that link is a bit too complex for me but I think I understand how to go about the superposition of waves, I'll try it. Though is my negative energy plane-wave not also a simple and fair enough way of showing that the probability density can be negative - but this only occurs for negative energy solutions.

Cheers,
SK

Related to Klein-Gordon Equation & Continuity Equation

1. What is the Klein-Gordon Equation?

The Klein-Gordon Equation is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of a scalar particle in quantum mechanics. It was first proposed by Oskar Klein and Walter Gordon in 1926 as a way to reconcile quantum mechanics with special relativity.

2. What is the physical significance of the Klein-Gordon Equation?

The Klein-Gordon Equation is used to describe the propagation of scalar particles, such as the Higgs boson, in quantum field theory. It also plays a role in understanding phenomena such as particle-antiparticle annihilation and the behavior of particles in strong electric and magnetic fields.

3. What is the Continuity Equation in relation to the Klein-Gordon Equation?

The Continuity Equation is a mathematical expression of the principle of conservation of probability in quantum mechanics. It is used in conjunction with the Klein-Gordon Equation to describe the evolution of a quantum system over time.

4. How is the Klein-Gordon Equation derived?

The Klein-Gordon Equation can be derived from the Schrödinger Equation by applying the principles of special relativity. It can also be derived from the Dirac Equation, which is a more general relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of spin-1/2 particles.

5. What are the limitations of the Klein-Gordon Equation?

One of the main limitations of the Klein-Gordon Equation is that it only applies to scalar particles and cannot describe the behavior of particles with spin. It also does not take into account the effects of quantum fluctuations, which are important in certain physical systems. Additionally, the Klein-Gordon Equation is not compatible with the principles of quantum field theory and is therefore not a complete description of the quantum world.