Kirchoff's Voltage Law: Circuit Troubleshooting Help

In summary, the attached circuit is having trouble finding the voltages that are needed for it to work. It is possible to find the voltages using the loop equations, but there are only 4 equations and 6 unknowns.
goldfronts1
I am having trouble with the attached circuit to find the voltage drops. Can anyone please assist. Thanks

Attachments

• circuit.gif
    circuit.gif
    17.8 KB · Views: 537
Physics news on Phys.org
goldfronts1 said:
I am having trouble with the attached circuit to find the voltage drops. Can anyone please assist. Thanks

Hi goldfronts1! :smile:

Show us how far you've got, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help. :smile:

Ok I used the loops ad, be, dg, ef. All going clockwise from the node.

to get 4 equations and I set them equal to zero. however, from those four equations. you can't solve for any unknown variable. Please let me know if this is solvable as I have tried several different ways and can't come up with any solution.

Thanks

goldfronts1 said:
Ok I used the loops ad, be, dg, ef. All going clockwise from the node.

to get 4 equations and I set them equal to zero. however, from those four equations. you can't solve for any unknown variable. Please let me know if this is solvable as I have tried several different ways and can't come up with any solution.

Hi goldfronts1! :smile:

Yes … there are only 4 independent equations, and 6 unknowns.

In fact, it's obvious that you can choose Vde and Vef to be anything, and still solve for all the others. :frown:

Was there any other constraint … for example, all the resistances being equal? :confused:

It's strange that they would ask for the voltages, Vfa, Vac, Vai, and Vfb, since they can be determined without solving anything.

The remaining voltages can be found by traversing paths that don't pass through Vhg and Vih.

If you define 6 loop currents I1 through I6 in the loops as indicated, clockwise:

I1 = abed
I2 = bcfe
I3 = dehg
I4 = efih
I5 = abcfed
I6 = defihg

and create a 6x6 matrix to solve for the 6 unknown voltages, you will find that the matrix is rank deficient. The matrix has only rank 4, which means that two of the unknowns can be selected arbitrarily.

Designate a voltage by the symbol Vxy, which represents the voltage between nodes x and y, with node x being the positive end.

Let Vhg and Vih be selected arbitrarily; the we can solve for the other four:

Vda = Vhg+Vih+14
Veb = Vih+14
Ved = 8-Vhg
Vfe = -6-Vih

If you let Vhb = 0 and Vih =0, then:

Vda = 14
Veb = 14
Ved = 8
Vfe = -6

I hope I didn't make any mistakes, but you should check it out yourself.

Yeah it looks like there are more unknowns than linearly independent loop equations can be constructed out of them. Odd. I always hated questions like these since it means you can't tell if you're doing something wrong.

Related to Kirchoff's Voltage Law: Circuit Troubleshooting Help

1. What is Kirchoff's Voltage Law (KVL)?

Kirchoff's Voltage Law is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis that states that the sum of all voltages in a closed loop circuit must equal zero. This means that the total voltage supplied by a source must be equal to the voltage drops across all components in the circuit.

2. How do I use KVL to troubleshoot a circuit?

To use KVL for troubleshooting, you must first create a loop in the circuit and assign a direction for the current flow. Then, starting at any point in the loop, add up all the voltage drops across each component in the direction of the current flow. The sum of these voltage drops should equal the voltage supplied by the source. If it does not, there may be a problem with one of the components in the circuit.

3. Can KVL be used in any circuit?

Yes, KVL can be used in any circuit, as long as it is a closed loop circuit. This means that all components in the circuit are connected in a continuous loop, with no branches or gaps.

4. What is the difference between KVL and Kirchoff's Current Law (KCL)?

KVL deals with the sum of voltages in a closed loop circuit, while KCL deals with the sum of currents at a junction point in a circuit. KVL is used to analyze voltage drops in a circuit, while KCL is used to analyze current flow in a circuit.

5. Are there any limitations to using KVL for circuit troubleshooting?

One limitation of using KVL for circuit troubleshooting is that it assumes ideal conditions, such as no resistance in wire connections and perfectly conducting components. In reality, there may be small resistances that can affect the accuracy of the analysis. Additionally, KVL may not be able to identify problems in complex circuits with multiple loops or branches.