Kirchoff's Rule Problem: How to Find Voltage and Amps for a 6-Ohm Resistor?

• Thread starter zeldajae
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary: Kirchoff's Rule states that the voltage drop across a resistor is equal to the current through the resistor. To find the current through the resistor, you need to use V=IR. To find the voltage across the resistor, use V=IR/(3+4+8).
zeldajae
Kirchoff's Rule...problem stuck!

Homework Statement

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/5307/physishelp.jpg

The Picture Explain above explains it all, I have attached a same file if you might need it! It is the same picture.

Homework Equations

V=IR
Thats all I know!

The Attempt at a Solution

V=IR=(3)(4+8)=36V

36V=I(6[ohms])-----I=6A?

I hope that's how you find amps!

Then I don't know how to find the voltage.

Do you find the voltage using the same equation?

Attachments

• Physis Help!!!!!!.JPG
    Physis Help!!!!!!.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 397
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Since charge is conserved then the electric current entering a node (where three or more lines join in your diagram) has to be the same as the current leaving the node.

Thus for the leftmost node I + Current through the 6 Ohm resistor = 3 A

Remember that energy is conserved, therefore the the sum of voltages (with their sign) through a closed loop is equal to zero.

Therefore you have

24 - 6 x Current throught the 6 ohm resistor - 12 -24 =0

Which means that the current through the 6 ohm resistor is -2 A (that is it runs in the direction opposite to what we supposed was for setting up the solution).

Which means that I= 5 A.
Applying again the voltage rule for the lower loop will give you V.

V=6(-2)+24+2(5)= 22 Volt

Last edited:

Hi Zeldajae

Do you know how to use kichoffs law in terms of current nodes & voltage loops?

not the easiest page to start, but have a look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirchhoff's_circuit_laws

basically once you have set up you conventions:
sum of all currents into each node is zero
sum of all voltage drops around a loop is zero

in terms of this problem - once you have found the voltage difference between the 2 nodes, you know this must be the voltage across each path between nodes

you have done this in you first step 36V.

use this to find the voltage across the 6ohm resistor, then think about the current through the resistor

from there you should be close to the finding the current through the last path & then the voltage of the source

yosefrajwulf said:
You already know that V=R x I, so I=V/R, which in the case of the 6 Ohm resistor means that the current passing through it is 24 V/6 Ohm = 4 A. This means that the current you are looking for is I=1 A.

lanedance said:
use this to find the voltage across the 6ohm resistor, then think about the current through the resistor

Thank for replying. To find the amps through the resistor can't you just you this:

V=IR
36v=I(6)
I=6 Amps through the resistor.

Shouldn't that be the amps going through 6 ohms resistor? After that would you find the amps going through the 8 ohms resistor? Then the answer to that would be the current we are looking for...right?

And I still don't get what to do about finding the voltage?

No, there is not 36V across the resistor

there is 36V across the resistor and the voltage source

you need to solve for the voltage drop across the resistor

ok, I got it. Thanks for the help guys!

I was sloppy and originally solved it incorrectly. Please reread the post.

Related to Kirchoff's Rule Problem: How to Find Voltage and Amps for a 6-Ohm Resistor?

1. What is Kirchoff's Rule and why is it important?

Kirchoff's Rule, also known as Kirchoff's Laws, are fundamental principles in electrical circuit analysis. They are used to determine the voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit and are essential for solving complex circuit problems.

2. How do I apply Kirchoff's Rule to a circuit problem?

To apply Kirchoff's Rule, you first need to understand the two laws: Kirchoff's Current Law (KCL) and Kirchoff's Voltage Law (KVL). KCL states that the sum of currents entering and exiting a node in a circuit must be equal. KVL states that the sum of voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must be equal. By using these two laws, you can create equations and solve for unknown values in the circuit.

3. What are some common mistakes when using Kirchoff's Rule?

One common mistake is forgetting to account for the direction of current and voltage in the equations. Another mistake is not properly labeling the nodes and loops in the circuit. It is also important to check for any assumptions made, such as assuming all resistors have the same value.

4. How do I know if my Kirchoff's Rule solution is correct?

You can check your solution by using the equations you created and ensuring that they satisfy both KCL and KVL. You should also double-check your calculations and make sure all units are consistent. If possible, it can be helpful to compare your solution to a known correct solution or ask for feedback from a classmate or instructor.

5. Can Kirchoff's Rule be applied to any circuit problem?

Yes, Kirchoff's Rule can be applied to any circuit problem, regardless of its complexity. However, it may be more challenging to apply it to circuits with multiple voltage sources or non-linear components. In these cases, it may be necessary to use other circuit analysis techniques in conjunction with Kirchoff's Rule.