Kirchoff's Laws Current [Problem 1]

In summary, Kirchoff's Laws are principles in electrical circuit analysis that govern the behavior of current and voltage within a closed circuit. Kirchoff's Current Law states that the sum of all currents entering and leaving a node must equal zero, while Kirchoff's Voltage Law states that the sum of all voltages around a closed loop must equal zero. These laws are used to solve circuit problems by setting up equations and are applicable to all types of circuits. They are based on fundamental concepts and are always true in any circuit system.
mriney

Homework Statement

Determine the currents I1, I2, and I3. R5 = 18[PLAIN]http://www.webassign.net/images/omegacap.gif. Assume the internal resistance of each battery is r = 1.0 [PLAIN]http://www.webassign.net/images/omegacap.gif.

Homework Equations

Kirchoff's Loop Rule: I1+I2+I3=0
Kirchoff's Series Law?: V1+V2+V3=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried a million things, but with no luck. I know I'm supposed to substitute the different equations, but I just can't seem to come up with the right answer.
19-40alt.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Show us your equations.

Chet

1. What are Kirchoff's Laws?

Kirchoff's Laws are two principles in electrical circuit analysis that govern the behavior of current and voltage within a closed circuit. They are named after physicist Gustav Kirchoff and are essential in understanding and analyzing circuits.

2. What is Kirchoff's Current Law (KCL)?

Kirchoff's Current Law states that the sum of all currents entering and leaving a node (or a point where multiple components connect) must equal zero. In other words, the total amount of current entering a node must equal the total amount of current leaving that node.

3. What is Kirchoff's Voltage Law (KVL)?

Kirchoff's Voltage Law states that the sum of all voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero. This means that the total voltage gained in a circuit must balance with the total voltage dropped in that same circuit.

4. How are Kirchoff's Laws used to solve circuit problems?

Kirchoff's Laws are used to set up a system of equations that can be solved to determine unknown values in a circuit, such as currents and voltages. They provide a systematic way of analyzing complex circuits and are an essential tool for engineers and scientists in designing and troubleshooting electronic systems.

5. Are Kirchoff's Laws always applicable in circuit analysis?

Yes, Kirchoff's Laws are universal principles in circuit analysis and are applicable to all types of circuits, regardless of their complexity. They are based on fundamental concepts of conservation of energy and charge and are always true in any circuit system.