Kirchoff's Law: Which Direction Does the Current Flow?

In summary: However, in most circuit analysis, we use conventional current flow which is the opposite direction of electron flow. In summary, the discussion is about determining the direction of current flow in a circuit. It is agreed that, based on established conventions, the current is moving away from terminal A. However, it is pointed out that if the actual flow of electrons is considered, the current would go towards terminal A. It is also mentioned that the presence of open terminals with infinite resistance can affect the analysis of the circuit.
atwong713

Homework Statement

determine which way the current goes

Homework Equations

kirchoff's current law

The Attempt at a Solution

i say that it is moving away because if i say its positive going into element1 then since its negative its going out of element1 so its moving away from A

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 400
Physics news on Phys.org
Based on the problems established conventions, it sounds good to me. The current will never actually reach, nor originate, from terminal A because it is an open circuit with infinite resistance.

Quick edit:
The one thing I don't like is that current is, by a more universally established convention, the flow of positive charges. This is because the electrons are going to get a force that moves them to the positive terminal of the potential, the battery. I think the problem means what I said, and is just poorly worded.

Last edited:
atwong713 said:
i say that it is moving away because if i say its positive going into element1 then since its negative its going out of element1 so its moving away from A

Incorrect. The direction of the flow of the electrons is in the same direction as that of the negative current. Here, the negative 2mA is flowing toward A.

Mindscrape said:
Based on the problems established conventions, it sounds good to me. The current will never actually reach, nor originate, from terminal A because it is an open circuit with infinite resistance.

What is wrong with a current flowing through the closed loop V-1-2?

(The points A and B here probably represents parts of the circuit not shown, and not just open -ended wires.)

Oh, well if A-B is just a load then the current could go to it. The circuits I was taught often had open terminals with infinite impedance to make what voltages the problem was looking for more apparent.

But yes, I would agree with you that if we are looking at the actual flow of electrons, rather than the flow of positve charges, it would go towards the terminal.

Related to Kirchoff's Law: Which Direction Does the Current Flow?

What is Kirchoff's Law question?

Kirchoff's Law question, also known as Kirchoff's Current Law and Kirchoff's Voltage Law, are two fundamental laws in circuit analysis that describe the conservation of charge and energy in a closed circuit.

What is Kirchoff's Current Law?

Kirchoff's Current Law states that the algebraic sum of currents entering and leaving a node in a circuit must be equal to zero. In other words, the total current entering a node must be equal to the total current leaving the node.

What is Kirchoff's Voltage Law?

Kirchoff's Voltage Law states that the algebraic sum of voltage drops and voltage rises in a closed loop in a circuit must be equal to zero. In other words, the total voltage drop across all components in a closed loop must be equal to the total voltage rise.

What is the significance of Kirchoff's Law question?

Kirchoff's Law question is significant because it allows us to analyze complex circuits and determine the unknown values of currents and voltages using a set of equations based on the principles of conservation of charge and energy.

What are some applications of Kirchoff's Law question?

Kirchoff's Law question is widely used in the design and analysis of electronic circuits, power systems, and communication networks. It is also used in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology for analyzing complex systems and phenomena.