Kinetic rotational energy of a bar hooked to a coil

In summary, the speaker has solved an exercise involving a bar with mass M and length l, which is hooked to a coil or spring at extremity A and to point O at extremity B. They have considered the coordinates x, y, and theta and used the equation K=1/2Iω^2+1/2Mvcm^2 to find the kinetic energy. They question whether they have correctly applied the Koenig Theorem and request a diagram for clarification.
bznm
I have solved an exercise and I'd like to know if my proceeding about finding kinetic energy is correct or not, because this is the first time that I "meet" a situation like this.

"A bar has mass M and length l. Its extremity A is hooked to a coil (with length at rest l0), its extremity B is hooked to the point O that is the origin of axes."

I have considered three coordinates: [tex]x[/tex], [tex]y[/tex] (that are the coords of the extremity A on the x-axes and y-axes) and [tex]\theta[/tex] that is the angle that the bar forms with a parallel to the y-axes and I've written
[tex]K=\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2+\frac{1}{2}Mv_{cm}^2=\frac{1}{24}Ml^2\dot\theta^2+\frac{1}{2}M(\dot y^2+\dot x^2+\frac{l^2}{2}\dot\theta^2+\dot x\dot\theta l \cos(\theta)+\dot y\dot \theta l \sin(\theta))[/tex]​
Is it correct? Did I correctly apply Koenig Theorem?

Physics news on Phys.org
By "coil" you mean "spring"?
Please provide a diagram?

It looks like you are using the moment of inertial for a rad rotating about it's center - but your description has the rod rotating about one end (extremity B).

Related to Kinetic rotational energy of a bar hooked to a coil

What is kinetic rotational energy?

Kinetic rotational energy is a type of energy that results from the motion of a rotating object. It is a form of kinetic energy, which is the energy an object has due to its motion.

How is kinetic rotational energy calculated?

The formula for calculating kinetic rotational energy is E = 1/2(Iω²), where E is the kinetic rotational energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω (omega) is the angular velocity of the object.

What is the relationship between kinetic rotational energy and angular velocity?

The kinetic rotational energy of an object is directly proportional to its angular velocity. This means that as the angular velocity increases, the kinetic rotational energy also increases.

How does the bar hooked to a coil affect the kinetic rotational energy?

The bar hooked to a coil acts as a lever arm, increasing the moment of inertia and thus increasing the kinetic rotational energy. This is known as the parallel axis theorem.

What are some real-world examples of kinetic rotational energy?

Some examples of kinetic rotational energy in everyday life include spinning wheels on a car, a spinning top, or a rotating wind turbine. In sports, a spinning frisbee or a spinning ball in sports like basketball or tennis also demonstrate kinetic rotational energy.