Kinetic/Potential Energy in Waves

In summary, the conversation is about finding the energy density, kinetic energy, and potential energy of two waves given velocity, tension, and density. The solution involves using an equation to find the energy density and setting the time to 2.5 seconds. The problem lies in finding the specific kinetic and potential energy at that time and the solution may involve integrating the energy density over a certain length.
Kosta1234

Homework Statement

Hi,
I'm stuck on some question..
There are given to waves in the following equation:
upload_2018-4-29_21-24-15.png

The question asks to find the energy density of them, and after it to find the kinetic and the potential energy in t = 2.5 seconds.

V = | 2 | [m/s]
T = 4 [N]
p (density) = 1 [KG/M]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
to find the energy density I used this equation:

upload_2018-4-29_21-22-30.png

the solution to this equation (that equals to energy density) is:
upload_2018-4-29_21-20-49.png

then, I've set in place t = 2.5, and the energy density is equal to:
upload_2018-4-29_21-27-4.png
which is great. but my problem is to find the kinetic and the potential energy in t = 2.5 seconds.
I've not understood this question well.
I can find the TOTAL energy by using integral of the energy density to 'dx'.
How can I find the specific kinetic or potential energy?

Thanks.

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-29_21-20-27.png
    upload_2018-4-29_21-20-27.png
    647 bytes · Views: 430
  • upload_2018-4-29_21-20-49.png
    upload_2018-4-29_21-20-49.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 222
  • upload_2018-4-29_21-22-30.png
    upload_2018-4-29_21-22-30.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 219
  • upload_2018-4-29_21-24-15.png
    upload_2018-4-29_21-24-15.png
    870 bytes · Views: 641
  • upload_2018-4-29_21-27-4.png
    upload_2018-4-29_21-27-4.png
    602 bytes · Views: 217
Physics news on Phys.org
There are probably standard equations, but from first principles...
Consider an element length dx. You know its mass and you know its speed as a function of x and t, etc.

Do you mean to Integrate the density to dx?
but I don't know it's length it's infinite.

Kosta1234 said:
Do you mean to Integrate the density to dx?
but I don't know it's length it's infinite.
The total energy will be infinite, but you are asked for the mean energy density. What length do you need to encompass to assess that?

Related to Kinetic/Potential Energy in Waves

What is kinetic energy in waves?

Kinetic energy in waves refers to the energy that is associated with the motion of particles in a wave. This energy is transferred from one particle to the next as the wave propagates through a medium. It is dependent on the amplitude and frequency of the wave, as well as the properties of the medium.

What is potential energy in waves?

Potential energy in waves is the stored energy that is present in a wave due to its position or state. This energy is converted into kinetic energy as the wave propagates through the medium. Examples of potential energy in waves include the compression and expansion of air molecules in a sound wave, or the stretching and contracting of a string in a guitar string wave.

How are kinetic and potential energy related in waves?

Kinetic and potential energy in waves are interdependent and constantly exchanged as the wave propagates through a medium. As the particles in the wave oscillate, their potential energy increases and their kinetic energy decreases. This relationship between kinetic and potential energy is important in understanding the behavior and characteristics of waves.

How does the amplitude of a wave affect its kinetic and potential energy?

The amplitude of a wave, which is the maximum displacement of particles from their equilibrium position, directly affects the amount of kinetic and potential energy in the wave. A higher amplitude wave has a greater amount of kinetic energy as particles move with a greater speed, while a lower amplitude wave has a greater amount of potential energy as particles are more stretched or compressed.

What factors affect the kinetic and potential energy of a wave?

The kinetic and potential energy of a wave are affected by several factors, including the amplitude, frequency, wavelength, and properties of the medium. For example, a higher frequency wave will have a greater amount of kinetic energy as particles are moving more rapidly, while a denser medium will have a greater amount of potential energy as particles are more difficult to displace.