Kinetic Friction of a released block

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving a block sliding down an inclined plane with varying coefficient of kinetic friction. The solution involves finding the acceleration using the given equation and then integrating to find the distance and maximum speed. There is also a discussion about the value of k and using v*dv/dx to solve the problem.
xcutexboax
Kinetic Friction !

undefined

Ok guYS, Really need help for this... i have been staring at this question blankly...

The ONly solution i came up was to integrate the net acceleration with respect to x. But i what do u get when u integrate acceleration... the answers for part a is 4 m and part b is 3.72m/s.

Qns as follows... :confused: :confused:
A block is released from rest at the top of a plane inclined at an angle of 45o. The coefficient of kinetic friction varies along the plane according to the relation µk= 0.5x, where x is the distance along the plane measured in meters from the top of the incline. Determine
a. how far the block slides before coming to rest and
b. the maximum speed it attains.
:zzz:

Physics news on Phys.org
You get

gSin45 - 0.5x*Cos45=acceleration

Express acceleration as a diffential involving x as x is already in the problem (and I don't know to solve differential eqns in 3 variables)
Solve!

Hint(what is v*dv/dx??)

EDIT:I assumed that µ=.5x what is k?

Last edited:
poolwin2001 said:
EDIT:I assumed that µ=.5x what is k?

I think they meant k was a subscript to indicate coefficient of kinetic friction.

Yeah THANKS

ThAnks Dude...

i see v*dv/dx is actually dx/dt * dv/dx =a Hmmm Nice one.. yeah managed to find a reason to integrate the equation wif no worries... and for the 2nd question i reckon that i could find out the value of x and integrate Fk to get work done then equate it to 1/2mv^2 to get max speed... =) :rolleyes:

Related to Kinetic Friction of a released block

What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the resistance to motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other. It is caused by the microscopic interactions between the surfaces and is dependent on the type of materials and the force pushing them together.

How is kinetic friction different from static friction?

Kinetic friction occurs when two surfaces are already in motion, while static friction occurs when two surfaces are at rest and there is an attempt to put them in motion. Kinetic friction is typically lower than static friction as it takes less force to maintain motion than to start it.

What factors affect the magnitude of kinetic friction?

The magnitude of kinetic friction is affected by the type of materials, the force pushing the two surfaces together, and the roughness of the surfaces. Rougher surfaces will have a higher kinetic friction, while smoother surfaces will have a lower kinetic friction.

How is the coefficient of kinetic friction determined?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is determined experimentally by measuring the force required to keep an object in motion at a constant velocity on a given surface. It is calculated by dividing the magnitude of the kinetic friction by the normal force between the two surfaces.

What are some real-life applications of kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is present in many everyday activities, such as walking, driving, and writing. It is also important in industrial processes, such as braking systems in vehicles, conveyor belts, and machinery. Understanding kinetic friction is essential in designing and improving these systems.