Kinetic Friction Between Block and Surface (HW Check)

In summary, there is confusion about the initial momentum and total momentum that is conserved in the collision between a 10 g bullet and a 1 kg block. The attempt at a solution also includes a calculation for the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the surface, but it is unclear if this is relevant to the given problem. Further clarification is needed to determine the accuracy of the solution.
Masrat_A

Homework Statement

A 10 g bullet is fired at 200 m/s into a 1 kg block after which they slide together 2 m on a horizontal surface. Determine the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and surface.

Homework Equations

##M_AV_{Ai} + M_BV_{Bi} = 0##
##WNC = ΔE##

The Attempt at a Solution

##0.010(200) + V_{Bi} = 0##
##2 + V_{Bi} = 0##
##V_{Bi} = -2##

##-FKX = PE_f - PE_i##
##-M_KFNX = 0 - 1/2MV_i^2##
##-M_KMGX = 1/2MV_i^2##
##X = V_i^2/2M_Kg##
##2 = 2^2/2(10)M_K##
##20M_K = 2##
##M_K = 0.1##

Does this seem correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first equation says that the total momentum is zero. Is the bullet not moving while the block is stationary before the collision? What's the total momentum that is conserved while the bullet becomes embedded in the block?

You need to rethink this.

Related to Kinetic Friction Between Block and Surface (HW Check)

1. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that resists the movement of one object over another when the two surfaces are in contact and moving relative to each other.

2. How is kinetic friction different from static friction?

Kinetic friction occurs when two surfaces are in motion relative to each other, while static friction occurs when there is no relative motion between the two surfaces. Static friction is typically greater than kinetic friction.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of kinetic friction?

The magnitude of kinetic friction depends on the types of surfaces in contact, the normal force between the two surfaces, and the presence of any lubricants or other substances.

4. How is kinetic friction measured?

Kinetic friction can be measured using a force sensor or by calculating the difference between the applied force and the resulting acceleration of the object.

5. How can kinetic friction be reduced?

Kinetic friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the two surfaces, or by choosing materials for the surfaces that have lower coefficients of friction.